Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2017, 07:39 PM   #1

Turn Signal/Hazard Lights Issue - 2002 WH

I just purchased a 2002 Itasca Suncruiser (GMC 8.1L Workhorse) last week.

My turn signals and the related dash indicator lights weren't working but after a hour or so of otherwise fruitless troubleshooting, I discovered that they will work normally (dash indicator lights as well) but only if the hazard light switch is turned on. The hazard lights don't seem to work at all.

Another strange thing is happening as well: When the hazard light switch is off, both dash indicator lights go on when the brake pedal is pressed while the brake lights work normally. When the hazard light switch is on, the dash indicator lights don't go on when the brake pedal is pressed while the brake lights work normally.

Is the relay for all this the one to the top right of the under-dash fuse panel (turn signal fuse is fine)? If so, it seems to test OK with a multimeter and battery. If not, where is the relay? Once I know which relay or relays are involved, I think I'll just replace them and see what happens. There may be two based on the following info but I don't know where to look.

Note: I found a 2013 IRV2 thread that mentioned the existence of two "flashers" (one hard to find) but it didn't give any specific info. Here's what the poster said:

"Apparently. there are TWO flashers on that Workhorse chassis and I had changed out a perfectly good one not realizing that there were two. So, friends, after a long and tiring (as well as expensive) "adventure" into the world of mechanics, I now know to find out as much as possible about your RV before spending several hundred dollars fixing an $18 part! In my own defense, I must say that although I did not know about the other flasher, neither did the guys at the shop who spent hours tracking wires looking for a short..."

Here's a link to the 2013 post:

Workhorse Turn Signal "Adventure"
BCam is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2017, 01:08 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
I just purchased a 2002 Itasca Suncruiser (GMC 8.1L Workhorse) last week.

My turn signals and the related dash indicator lights weren't working but after a hour or so of otherwise fruitless troubleshooting, I discovered that they will work normally (dash indicator lights as well) but only if the hazard light switch is turned on. The hazard lights don't seem to work at all.

Another strange thing is happening as well: When the hazard light switch is off, both dash indicator lights go on when the brake pedal is pressed while the brake lights work normally. When the hazard light switch is on, the dash indicator lights don't go on when the brake pedal is pressed while the brake lights work normally.

Is the relay for all this the one to the top right of the under-dash fuse panel (turn signal fuse is fine)? If so, it seems to test OK with a multimeter and battery. If not, where is the relay? Once I know which relay or relays are involved, I think I'll just replace them and see what happens. There may be two based on the following info but I don't know where to look.

Note: I found a 2013 IRV2 thread that mentioned the existence of two "flashers" (one hard to find) but it didn't give any specific info. Here's what the poster said:

"Apparently. there are TWO flashers on that Workhorse chassis and I had changed out a perfectly good one not realizing that there were two. So, friends, after a long and tiring (as well as expensive) "adventure" into the world of mechanics, I now know to find out as much as possible about your RV before spending several hundred dollars fixing an $18 part! In my own defense, I must say that although I did not know about the other flasher, neither did the guys at the shop who spent hours tracking wires looking for a short..."

Here's a link to the 2013 post: n

Workhorse Turn Signal "Adventure"
My '01 wh flasher switch is intermittent, causing all sorts of different lights to work and not work at different times.
So far playing with the switch corrects the problems eventually. in the last few months I have learned to
leave the flasher switch alone.
Replacing the switch is on my to do list this winter.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 12:35 AM   #3

BCam, did you get your problem resolved? If so I would love to know how

I have a 2002 Suncruiser (Workhorse) that has treated me well in the one year I've owned it, but it developed the same issue you described (and a few others) on the last trip. This issue developed not long after going through some extreme heat....the meter in the dash showed 127F and flashed for a bit while we stopped for gas in Brawley.

Hazards off:
No turn signals
Brake lights work

Hazards on:
Hazards do not flash but turn signals work normally
Brake lights do not work

In either case, the running lights do not work (maybe separate issue?). Luckily headlights worked, or we'd have cancelled a month long trip!

Also on the same trip I hit a bump and the instrument panel lights went out, so I can't see the speedometer, fuel, etc at night without a separate light.
GreCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreCo View Post
BCam, did you get your problem resolved? If so I would love to know how

I have a 2002 Suncruiser (Workhorse) that has treated me well in the one year I've owned it, but it developed the same issue you described (and a few others) on the last trip. This issue developed not long after going through some extreme heat....the meter in the dash showed 127F and flashed for a bit while we stopped for gas in Brawley.

Hazards off:
No turn signals
Brake lights work

Hazards on:
Hazards do not flash but turn signals work normally
Brake lights do not work

In either case, the running lights do not work (maybe separate issue?). Luckily headlights worked, or we'd have cancelled a month long trip!

Also on the same trip I hit a bump and the instrument panel lights went out, so I can't see the speedometer, fuel, etc at night without a separate light.
Wow, it's been so long I'd forgotten about this post. I replaced one of the two flashers which solved the turn signal issue but the hazard lights still didn't work. I don't remember which flasher is which but one is up high under the dash (far left, front) and the other is down low near the parking brake (it may just be dangling). They're relatively inexpensive and available at your local auto parts store so you might want to replace both.

I determined that hazard lights still didn't work and had a problem with the hazard switch itself. If I played with it I could get the hazards to work. Rather than go through the complex task of disassembling everything to replace the switch, I made a notched, wooden stick that I use to wedge the hazard switch in the "on" position. I painted it red and hung it from one of the levers with a cord. That fixed the problem. Someday I might replace the switch, but this is working so I'll just live with it.

With regard to your instrument panel issue, it sounds like a loose connection. Everything has plugs which might have loosened. The brake lights could be pretty much anything. First I'd look for a fuse (Workhorse manual). Second, I'd use a multimeter to see what's happening at the lights. Typically there'll be a broken or disconnected wire, bad ground (very common), etc. It's highly unlikely that the problem is in the middle of a long wire run. Your brake light switch may be faulty. Since you have so many things going on, I'd first look for a bad, common ground connection.

You can download the wiring diagrams from Winnebago here:

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ram/Wiring.htm

You'll want to look at the Auto Lamps Wiring Diagram for your brake and clearance lights and the Automotive Wiring Diagram for your dash light issue.

Also, download the Wiring Identification Guide. It has all the codes that are printed on all wires. They will identify the function of each wire. There's also a useful Electrical Parts Identification Guide.

Proceed methodically and keep detailed notes so you don't go in circles.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:13 PM   #5

Thanks!

I only see one flasher in mine, and swapping that out seems to have had no effect. Both signals work with hazards on, neither with hazards off.

Glad to hear you found a workaround on the hazard lights but it sounds like it must be a very different issue if you can make them work with a stick!

Back to the diagrams.....
Old 07-30-2021, 12:00 AM   #6

It seems backwards but, on mine, the hazard switch pulls up for "on" and, when it's "on", there's a space between the pull-up part of the switch and the plastic covering over the steering column. That's where the stick goes so as to wedge it in the up position.

If your's is like mine, are you sure you're not pushing down for on?
Old 07-30-2021, 10:58 PM   #7

I guess I really don't know...the hazard lights don't work either way. I didn't test or need to use the hazards before I tried to use them on this last trip.

What I do know is if the button is down, the turn signals work. If it's up, they do not. No hazard lights flashing either way.

Also just noticed that the flasher (Wagner 552 originally) that I can find buzzes loudly if I nudge the hazard button to the left.

I tried both turn signals in an effort to find the relay(s) that control them, and the sound is coming from near an AP-10086 which is apparently related to leveling hydraulics
Old 07-30-2021, 11:17 PM   #8

The fact that the turn signals work with the flasher button down means they're operating correctly since switch down = hazards off.

Have you tried pulling up and holding it up on the hazard button to see if that makes them work? That's what lead me to the stick solution.

I'm pretty sure you must have a second flasher. Where is the one you found located?

Bob
Old 07-31-2021, 12:44 AM   #9

The flasher I found was pretty obvious once I lifted the dashboard instrument panel assembly. Upper left, hanging from a bundle of wires.

Here's a post from someone else with the exact same flasher and location

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...rk-356421.html

After replacing it I also tried just removing it, and it didn't change anything.

I assume it's just for the hazards. The turn signal flasher seems to be down by the floor judging by sound but I don't think that's the issue.
Old 07-31-2021, 11:50 PM   #10

If I recall, everything is interrelated so I suggest you find flasher near the and replace it. You also haven't told us if you tried the hazard switch as I suggested.

Tags
light, lights