Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2008, 04:23 PM   #41
Winnie-Wise

Don,
I haveread your instructions and have the following idea and would you tell me your thoughts please.
Placea feed through splitter in the coax linegoing to the antenna and leave it conected to the switchbox Antenna input. Take the tap off of that splitter and feed it to the converter ant input. Take the output of the converter and feed it to the aux input of the switch panel.
That way when you push in "tv" on switch panel you would get analog signal. When you push in "aux" you would get digital signal. The feed through splitter would pass the "dc" voltage needed for antenna head all the time I think.
Another way might be to break signal from switcher at tv output and insert digital converter there that is take tv input line and connect it to converter input and take output and connect it to tv. Do the same thing with the rear tv but do it at the switcher location.

Either way the zenith converter I have says you have to set tv to channel 3 or 4 and change channels with converter box.

BTW stay away freom the magnavox converter as the remote control is no good according to the reviews I read.

PLease let me know your thought on my connection theory?
Tom
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:44 PM   #42
Winnie-Wise

Tom, that would work as long as splitting the antenna signal before it goes to the switch box, did not reduce the level too much. Of it was, then there would likely be noise or "snow" on the analog picture, and pixel freeze or sound bite drops on a digital broadcasr.

Why not insert the digital converter box in-line with the cable going to the VCR (or combo DVD/VCR if that's what you have? That was, "Main" TV on "Antenna" works as always, and selecting Main TV to VCR inserts the converter, since a VCR will pass the signal to it's output.

The only problem now is where to locate the converter. On my MH, there are 2 solutions; one is to cut the metal panel that trims out the switchbox, and the other is to just locate it on the other side of the tv. It is easy to snake a couples pieces of RG6 coax from one cabinet to the other.

Anyone see anything wrong with this setup?
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:08 PM   #43

Tom,
Your idea would perfectly and without issue as long as you have a video control center with enough inputs (some only have TV, VCR and Aux which need to be shared with all of those plus a satellite dish and a VCR or DVD).
CaptBill's idea confuses me but I think he is saying the same thing but offering a solution should you not have enough inputs in your VCC.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 01:27 AM   #44
Winnebago Master

check out my post in "tv in 2004 journey" regarding digital converter box
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 02:24 AM   #45
Winnebago Master

Why can't we place the converter in the compartment vertically instead of on the horizontal? There is lots of room in my compartment to do this. Is there any reason this can't be done? Thanks
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:40 AM   #46

Any direction will work including upside down mounted to the ceiling of the compartment. If you have the room that is the best possible location.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:49 AM   #47
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If you have the room that is the best possible location. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The converter box, (Winegard) that is being sold at CW is very compact, only 5 1/2 " wide, .about 1 1/4 high. Scooting the dvd/vcr a bit to the right leaves plenty of room...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 02:47 PM   #48
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
Footnote on the Winegard RC-DT09. I have an email from Winegard which says they will be coming out with a new version in August that has the analog pass-through feature.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote