Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2008, 01:37 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

TV Converter Box
Has anyone installed one yet? What did it entail? How hard was it to get to the cables? Without having seen a installation diagram or the box I assume the atennae goes into the converter and then out to the antennae our switch box.

Its said that we don't have to wait till the deadline to install the converter as many stations are broadcasting in digital now and it will help the reception. Thanks for your replies , a mechanical clutz.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:37 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

TV Converter Box
Has anyone installed one yet? What did it entail? How hard was it to get to the cables? Without having seen a installation diagram or the box I assume the atennae goes into the converter and then out to the antennae our switch box.

Its said that we don't have to wait till the deadline to install the converter as many stations are broadcasting in digital now and it will help the reception. Thanks for your replies , a mechanical clutz.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:43 AM   #3

I am interested in the responses for this also. I am not going to replace my 2006 model TV's in my motorhome for flatscreens yet, and will like to install a digital to analog box to receive the Digital signals.

I see that Winegard has a Digital to Analog box for $59 at Camping World.....
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:02 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
I got my government $40 cards yesterday. Did a search and see Wal Mart has them for $42.00. I'm just wondering where they're gonna fit because my cabinet next to the TV has the surround sound module, VCR and DVD playre and not much room for anything else.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:07 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Mr. Ranger, goto WWW.DTV2009.com.I got two 40.00 coupons from the government towards the purchase of the box. Radio Shack and Wal-Mart has them,,haven't checked the price. http://www.winnebagoind.com/resources/service/pdfs/2008...tal%20Television.pdf
tells all about digital tv. Suposed to have a article bout installation in May. I must not have rejoined cause I haven't seen any issues lately...good luck,,,jim
Old 04-10-2008, 05:10 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Here are some websites that might help you out. This website FCC DTV Information will give you some details about what you need, when you need it, and what your options are.

This website Setup Guidewill give you some instructions about installation.

I hope this helps.

Satellite Internet Solutions
JamieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:16 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Thanks Jamie, The setup is just about how I figured it. Hope fully the article in the WIT magazine will tell us how to get it in the MOHO.\Good Miles
Old 04-10-2008, 05:20 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Frontranger, just noticed yours is a 06 it may already be digital and in that case you will not need a box. Only if you are not using Satelite or Cable and you have a Analog set. I don't use Satelite and mine is definetly a Analog set, so I need the box when I use the crank up antennae...Good Miles
Old 04-10-2008, 06:03 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Well my coach is an 07 and both tv's are analog - they were built in 05!! It's easy to check - get your model number and look it up on the mfg intermet page it will tell you if your set is analog or digital. All sets built in 07 must be digital - so if your set is an 07 or o8 you don't have to worry.

I also found that Wineguard (manufacturer of most bat wing antenna's) has a lot of info on the "box" which can be purcjased at one of their dealers.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:04 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I bought a box from Camping World last year. Hooked it up thru the VCR and can't tell the difference. So I don't know if it works or not. Guess I'm outa luck on the $40 rebate thng too. Sometimes thing just don't go well!
Old 04-10-2008, 06:12 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Winegard does offer a box, as well as many other companies.

Whatever box you choose, one important thing of note is that when installing it, you need to make sure your antenna is still recieving power.

The amplifier for the antenna is built into the head and needs 12v power to operate. Putting the converter box between the power source (for many this is the video selector switch) and the antenna will block this power, and severly deteriorate your antenna performance.
jd_hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:16 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Finhawk:
I bought a box from Camping World last year. Hooked it up thru the VCR and can't tell the difference. So I don't know if it works or not. Guess I'm outa luck on the $40 rebate thng too. Sometimes thing just don't go well! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You should notice a pretty significant difference, in that you will never see snow with a digital picture. If you are seeing snow, then most likely you have your TV (or VCR in this case) on the wrong channel.

With the converter boxes, they act in the same manner as a VCR or satellite receiver, in that you have to tune your TV to watch the box, then change channels on the box itself.
jd_hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:31 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I choose to simply just change out the TV,S and start fresh. Many of the old ones in MH,s seem to have a rather short life anyway. Just one more option.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:48 AM   #14

I'm not going to change out my perfectly good/new Sony TV's because of a digital signal vs an analog signal!!!

Get $40 coupons, and spend a net $2 for a box at Walmart!!
Old 04-10-2008, 06:59 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Just remember, if you use Satelite or Cable at all times then you don't need anything. Its just when you use the crank up antennae. Safe Miles
Old 04-10-2008, 08:30 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I'm still a little confused about the installation in a motorhome with 2 tv's. If I put one digital conversion box between the antenna and the switch box and I want to watch the bedroom tv, the remote may not work that far and around the corner, and wouldn't it change channels on both tv's?. Plus it may interfere with power to the antenna. So, would I need to have 2 converter boxes, and install them right at each tv, after the switch box?

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:37 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Gary - that's where I'm at too. Don't know that anyone knows the answer yet. Thought Winegard might help but I found no explanation.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:57 AM   #18
Living The Dream

For those of you with 12 volt TV's, here's a converter box which runs on 12 volt. It comes with an AC adapter which has a 12 volt output for the converter - you could just provide your own 12 volt source and skip the AC adapter.
SeeTheUSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:15 AM   #19

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary the Wombat:
I'm still a little confused about the installation in a motorhome with 2 tv's. If I put one digital conversion box between the antenna and the switch box and I want to watch the bedroom tv, the remote may not work that far and around the corner, and wouldn't it change channels on both tv's?. Plus it may interfere with power to the antenna. So, would I need to have 2 converter boxes, and install them right at each tv, after the switch box? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I THINK....THINK you need two boxes, but I am going to just go with one up in front...I think....

Good question, and I await the answer.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:24 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

We should be able to get the answer next month in Service Tips at the top of this Forum second entry. Good Luck