Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2007, 03:25 PM   #1
KIX
Winnebago Master

Has anyone replaced the front TV with a flat screen in an Ultimate Advantge? If so, I would appreciate a picture of how you handled the rounded front of the TV "shelf". Thanks
Old 10-10-2007, 03:25 PM   #2
KIX
Winnebago Master

Has anyone replaced the front TV with a flat screen in an Ultimate Advantge? If so, I would appreciate a picture of how you handled the rounded front of the TV "shelf". Thanks
Old 10-10-2007, 03:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Kix, I upgraded to a HD LCD a few years ago. The TV we selected was slightly larger than the current TV, so I cut the side straps out of the trim and reused the top and bottom.

I posted pictures on the Yahoo Groups Winnebago-owners (http://autos.ph.groups.yahoo.com/gro...os/browse/5490) of the process.

It's not a custom look, but it works for us.

2017 Cedar Creek 38EL/2015 Silverado 3500HD
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:10 PM   #4
KIX
Winnebago Master

Jim,
Thanks for the link to your pics. I'm waiting on the site owner to grant me permission to see your pics. By the way....did you see the last PM I sent you regarding the "panel"???
Old 10-10-2007, 06:08 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Kix

I have replaced both TVs in my Ultimate Advantage. Go to the top of this page and click on the far right heading "photos" and do a search using my user name dknig288. It will show you pics of how I mounted the front TV and the rear TV. Was not that bad to do. You will see that I used a plywood "mounting" board for the front that was cut in the shape of the molding already in place and stained to match.

Hope this helps some.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:42 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Go to photos and seach under Florida Guy to see how we handled the rounded bottom portion of the frame when we installed the 26" LCD TV.

2003 Honda Element (toad)
Florida Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:50 AM   #7
KIX
Winnebago Master

Florida Guy, I saw your pictures and you did a great job. Our cabinets in the front are basically the same but maybe our TV section protrudes into the moho a little more than yours. We had thought about mounting the new TV just like you did but the lower corner closest to our front entry door would protrude intothe entryway too much. So, we'll have to mount ours in a fashion that keeps the existing front, lower, right cabinet corner in the same place as it now is. In other words the TV will have to be recessed into the cabinet. That will make that lower front "lip" protrude alot more than yours. I seems that the lower metal cabinet bottom will have to be cut off to remove the protrusion. Did you think about doing this too? Any thoughts on what I may run into?
Old 10-11-2007, 05:25 AM   #8
KIX
Winnebago Master

David, Got to your pics too. I guess I was inputting the wrong "name" to access them. Anyway, great job. Did you think aoubt cutting off the front of the cabinet metal bottom? I know that the cabinet front would have to be replaced if you did that but any other reason that you didn't cut it off? Also, I'm assuming a 26" LCD, right?
Old 10-11-2007, 11:21 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I thought about cutting the bottom portion of the metal gage to make a perfectly flat front face, however the bottom plastic cover would also have to be cut flat. That would remove the flange that curves into the wood frame in the front. I wanted to make this project as simple and cost effective as possible so I went with what you see as pictured. Thanks for the compliments.

2003 Honda Element (toad)
Florida Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:36 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the compliment. The project was not that hard to do once I had figured out how I could mount the LCD so it would be stable. I have since added two DC powered fans (computer fans) in the cabinet behind the TV to help circulate the air as the LCD screens do generate heat.

It is a 26" TV. I did not want to get into cutting the front off as it would have complicated the project much more. Would have had to make sure that the leather underneath the cabinet was not harmed, that the cut would be straight, etc. etc.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:09 PM   #11
KIX
Winnebago Master

Dave, Do you find that the LCD seems to make more heat than the older CRT type? And, why did you use DC fans rather than AC ones? Thanks for your help.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:52 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I don't think the heat is any greater with the LCD, I just happened to notice it. I used the DC fans as I already had them (I put together computers as a hobby) and I had a DC converter up in the cabinets for power to the sat dish so DC was readily available for the fans. No other reason.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:45 PM   #13
KIX
Winnebago Master

Gotcha Dave......thanks