RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2020, 08:56 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Upper Windshield Molding Removal

I have a 2015 40R with a leak in windshield. Does the black rubber trim at the top pull off or slide off? Even more importantly, how do I get it back on. I will be hiring a Handyman to do the work but need to know what to tell him. At 79 I don't belong on the ladder.
aiken rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2020, 09:27 PM   #2

I remember reading a pdf about this, can't remember(78 now) how though. I think it is through the WIT club papers. Winnebago beds the glass the same as automobiles, the trim is just that - trim, it covers the gap where the glass in imbedded in sealant. That is the problem not enough sealant was used to fill the gap, which allows water and dirt to accumulate = corrosion.
I thought I saw that pdf's in Winnebago Industries (WIT club) but can't find anything about windshields.
This is the Winnebago windshield installation page, note: will not run in FireFox. It may not be helpful, but I included it anyway.

UPDATE: I just found this video of repairing a rusty windshield frame problem:

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:14 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
aiken rver, the rubber molding will just pull off. But the trim on each side of the windshield maybe holding the ends down. If you can not pull the ends out you will have to loosen the side trim. The nuts to the bolts holding the side trim on are on the inside of the coach. You have to remove the inside trim to get to them.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:46 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the video. The windshield has been replaced twice for rock dings. Started leaking about a year after the last replacement. Hopefully I won't have the rust. The video is of the older 2 piece windshield. Mine is the new 1 piece, so it might be sealed a little different.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:05 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
aiken rver, the rubber molding will just pull off. But the trim on each side of the windshield maybe holding the ends down. If you can not pull the ends out you will have to loosen the side trim. The nuts to the bolts holding the side trim on are on the inside of the coach. You have to remove the inside trim to get to them.
Thanks. I figured it would pull off, but wasn't sure if that was really the right way. My real concern is getting it back on. I don't know if it will press back in or slides into a track like the slide seals.

I did take the side trim pieces off. And yes they are clamping the rubber seal. I pretty much have everything in the front torn out to try and see where the leak is located.

Plan to seal with Permatex® Flowable Silicone Windshield & Glass Sealer once the rubber strip is off.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiken rver View Post
Thanks. I figured it would pull off, but wasn't sure if that was really the right way. My real concern is getting it back on. I don't know if it will press back in or slides into a track like the slide seals.

I did take the side trim pieces off. And yes they are clamping the rubber seal. I pretty much have everything in the front torn out to try and see where the leak is located.

Plan to seal with Permatex® Flowable Silicone Windshield & Glass Sealer once the rubber strip is off.

Piece of advice. The window side trim pieces. If they were held on by 3 small screws with speed nuts, crimp the thread a little on the speed nut. I had mine off, and when I put back together one or 2 of my speed nuts didn't hold the screw well. I lost the side trim, in the dark...never to be found again. Cost me $200 from WBGO to send me a new one.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:59 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the tip. Mine are held on with a 3 bolts and nuts. The bolts are in a channel in the trim. One bolt has fallen out of the channel. Looks like it was lightly held with some sealer. I guess the intent is to be able to slide the trim up and down for alignment before tightening nuts.

Tags
removal, wind, windshield