Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-01-2007, 04:29 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SCVJeff:
Neil: The inverter being a solid-state device will last as long as any other solid-state device. Electrolytic caps dry out on all electronic equipment (usually much later than sooner), and Tantalum caps short and blow up (but rarely). 99% of the time this is component failure. There are some instances where the equipment design called for the wrong component or the manfacturer cheaped from the design spec.

I have a couple of 20A IBM power supplies that were removed from service in the 70's, I bought them surplus, and they're still running today. The inverter is a solid-state device, no moving parts, fully cooled, and there is no reason it won't outlast the coach itself. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jeff,

They only last until they break and all things eventually wear out and break. Even solid state devices have a MTBF rating and anything beyond that could be considered a bonus. Mine should not have failed to continue provideing clean power but it has failed not a total failure but a failure nonetheless.

When the caps blow it can be quite dramatic. I had one go in a hotel room in a coolers power supply and the managment called to see if I had heard any gunfire.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:04 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Tantalum's are much more fun in that you get a nice mushroom cloud along with a change of shorts

But the above point was that not using it won't necessarily prolong it's life. I have a room of emergency spare equipment at the office that I will occasionally open up the boxes and plug whatever it happens to be in, just so the caps remember what they're supposed to be doing in life.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 06:42 PM   #23

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SCVJeff:
I doubt if you will find anything above 150W in a all-in-one package with the plug. Anything above this will have an external cord with battery clips due to current demands.

When I said "safe", I meant it from two directions:
1- That you won't overload or burn out the inverter. I managed to toast a 100W inverter a while back with my new super-go-fast PC trying to use it and charge up it's dead battery at the same time.

2- That, even though a 150W inverter at full load is really pushing the wall socket, it tops out at 12A or so. This will power and charge the PC no problem, and taper off as the PC picks up a charge.

I've used my 150W to power/ charge laptops at the dinette and by the front rocker with no signs of smoke yet </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, the 300w ones have a cord from the thing you plug into the cigarette lighter socket. They don't seem to cost that much more than the 150w ones. But you don't recommend that much wattage? ...too much for the wall socket? So more is not better in this case?

If so, I'll look for the best buy on a 150w one as we primarily would like it for the laptop.

Thanks, Jeff. We're both electrically challenged (amongst all the other RV related things! ).
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 01:08 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

Tantalum's are much more fun in that you get a nice mushroom cloud along with a change of shorts

But the above point was that not using it won't necessarily prolong it's life. I have a room of emergency spare equipment at the office that I will occasionally open up the boxes and plug whatever it happens to be in, just so the caps remember what they're supposed to be doing in life. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is true however using it to power a battery charger (ie: laptop) could shorten it.

See an example of a common warning packaged with many inverters:

"Warning: Some rechargeable appliances may damage the Power Inverter or the
appliance. When first using a rechargeable device, check the Inverter's temperature
for the first 10 minutes. If it becomes abnormally hot, do not use this
device with the Inverter."

Checking to see if you think it is abnormally hot is a bit subjective.

Anyway my comment was based on these warnings as to the possibility of loss using an inverter to power up a rechargable device along with personal first hand experience. I would personally choose to put an easily and economically replacable portable inverter at risk then the more expensive internal one.

I knew the risk when I plugged in and presumed that since it was a name brand (expensive) built in inverter that I didn't need to consider this. It now appears that I was wrong.

I will go with either a plug in inverter designated for powering a laptop computer while the engine is running or a dedicated 12 volt adapter to power my laptop from now on.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:00 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

AH!.. They're probably inferring the square wave output of most inverters that make some switching power supplies (including those used for some chargers) angry. I haven's seen this on any charger/ converter I normally use.. yet, including 3 laptop supplies: Dell, Compaq, & Apple. Although I had a small plug-in 110V florescent lamp that smoked on me. But that's been the only problem with my MSW inverter. If there IS a problem, the 2000W inverter ain't gonna quit before it finishes off it's problem load (pssssst..).

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:27 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

AH!.. They're probably inferring the square wave output of most inverters that make some switching power supplies (including those used for some chargers) angry. I haven's seen this on any charger/ converter I normally use.. yet, including 3 laptop supplies: Dell, Compaq, & Apple. Although I had a small plug-in 110V florescent lamp that smoked on me. But that's been the only problem with my MSW inverter. If there IS a problem, the 2000W inverter ain't gonna quit before it finishes off it's problem load (pssssst..). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jeff,

On my 01 Adventurere I have the "large" 300 watt inverter so it is not as robust as the newer 2000 watt units but then again not as expensive to replace. I may upgrade to a more modern replacement however there are other areas I would be wanting to put my upgrade dollars into first such as some Konis and six new tires.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:04 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Most laptop mfg have a 12 DC adapter available that you cna just plug into the lighter socket. I have done this for years and never have a problem. It also draws a lot less on the batt that a standard inverter.
Mr_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:29 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wander-N-Bill:
Most laptop mfg have a 12 DC adapter available that you can just plug into the lighter socket... It also draws a lot less on the batt that a standard inverter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The 12VDC adapter for my Dell Inspiron 6000 draws 8 amps max on 11-16VDC input, puts out 19.5VDC at a max of 65W (3.34A). It is designed and filtered for the computer to function properly. I prefer this solution to taking chances on an inverter that may not work properly with my battery-powered laptop.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:39 AM   #29
Winnebago Camper

One other potential problem some of you may want to be aware of: while on the road, running an inverter (to power the laptop for the GPS), our normally well behaved cat, who loves to travel, was acting like he was quite disturbed. When we switched to a cig lighter plug power supply (about $80), the cat became very comfortable again. Guessing there was a high pitched squeal, maybe even hurting his ears. Anyway, if you travel with a pet and converter, you may want to keep an eye out for this type thing.