Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2022, 01:16 PM   #1

Using my onboard generator?

Going dry camping for 3 nights in the first time in awhile. Doubt we will use the AC since we are camping at San Elijo State Campground.

I have a 2016 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 22r with a factory generator.

I the event I need to fire up the generator, here's my question:

Do I fire up the generator 1st and then plug in my power cord?
OR
Do I plug in my power cord 1st and then start the generator?

Appreciate positive feedback
SantinoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2022, 02:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantinoDad View Post
Going dry camping for 3 nights in the first time in awhile. Doubt we will use the AC since we are camping at San Elijo State Campground.

I have a 2016 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 22r with a factory generator.

I the event I need to fire up the generator, here's my question:

OR
Do I plug in my power cord 1st and then start the generator?

Appreciate positive feedback
not familiar with your coach. Do you not have an automatic transfer switch (ATS)? you have to plug in your electrical cable either into the electric post at a campsite or into a receptacle in the electric bay of the coach? if that's the case check your owner's manual but in our old MH we would plug in and then start the genny.
Old 09-24-2022, 02:50 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Plug in the Power Cord and then fire up the generator. You don't have an ATS(auto transfer switch). Also remember to shut down all loads before shutting down the generator and then unplugging the shore power cable.
Old 09-24-2022, 02:53 PM   #4

It doesn't really make much difference as long as your loads are all turned off until the generator has run for a minute or to to warm up.
When turning off the generator , disconnect the loads and allow the generator to rune for a couple of minutes to cool down before shutting it down.
Old 09-24-2022, 02:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantinoDad View Post

.......:

OR
That is what I do to let the generator warm up when using a portable generator. Also make sure all large loads are turned off such as a hot water heater.

I would also test to see if the generator works before before heading out.
Old 09-24-2022, 02:58 PM   #6

Gen Receptacle will be HOT if you fire up gen before plugging in your shore power cord

So best practice is Open your RV Main CBs, plug in your shore power cord and then fire up gen.......after gen is up to speed and idling close your RV Main CBs
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 04:10 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
From page 6-6 of the 2016 Minnie Winnie Operator's Manual “To use the 120-volt generator, plug the powercord into the generator receptacle within theutility compartment before starting the generator.”
Archer2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 04:19 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Start up the generator and let it run for a minute or two. Then plug in the cord. That way any load will not cause the generator to stall because it’s not stabilized.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 04:31 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I would make sure any loads are off, AC off, heat off, elec hot water off.. then plug in, fire genny.. or flip all brakers off then fire grnny. let warm up, turn on..

I added a ATS to my Winnie but still kill big loads,,
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 06:53 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Run that thing before you go.

If you haven't been using it make sure it works before you need it.

Others have answered your question but the question implies you haven't been exercising it.

Read the manual. Mine suggests/requires a 2 hour run at 50% load every month. I do a 5 minute warm up and 5 minute cooldown.

I've seen two generators with super low hours come into shops while we were waiting. One had a ceased armature, the other was spewing oil. They weren't run regularly and that will cause problems.
Old 10-04-2022, 06:58 PM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Plug in the Power Cord and then fire up the generator. You don't have an ATS(auto transfer switch). Also remember to shut down all loads before shutting down the generator and then unplugging the shore power cable.
^^ This ^^,

E
When I owned a coach with no automatic transfer switch, it was always plugged into the generator power supply. If I was in a park with shore power, I'd unplug from gen, and plug into shore pedestal. When leaving, the cord would be plugged back into gen power in case it was needed.
Old 10-04-2022, 07:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned Tourist View Post
Start up the generator and let it run for a minute or two. Then plug in the cord. That way any load will not cause the generator to stall because it’s not stabilized.
This. Plugging in first then starting the generator is a good way to cook a converter, or any ac load inadvertently left on.
Old 10-05-2022, 03:42 PM   #13

Isolate shore power cord when I run my 4 kw Onan power generator. Isn't it possible to backfeed AC power through the shoreline power cord?
fusejockey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator