Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-25-2014, 08:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Valve stems

I was tinkering around recently on our new-to-us Sightseer 30A. I decided to check the air pressure in the tires. Front tires-no problem. Rear outer tires-no problem. Rear inside tires-Whoa! Where are the darn valve stems? After crawling around a bit I found them...they are on the inside of the inside tires.
My questions are:
Is this common?
Is this safe?
How important is it to change them?
Cost?
At the very least this will be a PIA.
rwp48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

You mean you have to crawl under the coach to get to them?
That's not the way it should be. You should be able to access
from the outside. You have to hunt a little for the stem but it should
be able to be checked and filled. You can go with extensions also. Good ones
that won't leak. Truck tire shop..
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:00 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Inside duals usually have an extension that is accessible from the outside. If you do not have the extensions, you can get them and install them yourself. Not that hard to do. They are available from many sources. My coach had them from the factory. Surprised yours did not.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:06 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Follow up...... Tire pressure is something that you will want to check very often, and extensions are vital to doing that easily. You will probably want 8 inch stainless steel with mounting clips. Camping World had them in their resent catalog, or you can Google them for other suppliers.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:21 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Beware extensions from you local auto parts store, most are only rated for 65PSI.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:51 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Keep in mind the metal valve stems can be rotated allowing the open end to face in any direction. The ones on the inner duals of our 2013 Adventurer were facing outward, but not where I could reach them with a tire gauge. I had to slightly loosen the nut and rotate them so they faced the center of the hole in the outer wheel.

Even then I couldn't get a tire gauge or inflator on them properly because of the smaller hole in the outer aluminum wheel. Rather than add valve stem extensions or change out the stems themselves I modified my Milton 506 inflator gauge to reach through the outer wheel and fit the inner valve stem.

Milton Window Inflator Gage, Dual Head, Model# S-506 | Air Chucks Gauges| Northern Tool + Equipment

Milton also makes a 516 inflator gauge. In our case I needed the forward facing angled foot of the 506 to make contact with the inner valve stem.

Milton Window Inflator Air Gauge — Dual-Head Straight Chuck, 1/4in. Inlet, Model# S-516 | Air Chucks Gauges| Northern Tool + Equipment

I replaced the 6" brass tube between the foot and flexible hose with a 12" piece of 5/16" brake line and a couple adaptors to fit the 1/8" pipe threads. Then I made a slight S bend in the tube to allow it to fit through the wheel and seal against the inner wheel valve stem.

I could have added valve stem extensions or gone the dually route, but it only took about 1/2 an hour to make the modification to the inflator. I don't have to deal with extensions or find a way to support them or the dually stems. Also I have a compressor at home and one in the motorhome so I keep the modified inflator with the motorhome.

As a side note your rear inner duals should be identical to the fronts if you have steel wheels. If you have aluminum outer duals and front wheels the valve stems on the inner duals should be facing the same direction as the ones on your front tires. I'll bet someone at the dealership rotated the rear inner dual valve stems to a position where they could reach them rather than add extensions or modify their gauge.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:43 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I am not a fan of add on extensions. I bought a set of DuallValve solid extended vave stems. The tires have to removed for them to be installed. They come with a rubber stabilizer that fits in the handhold to hold the one coming from the inside dual steady. They make is very easy to check and add air. You can see them here. Dually valve kits for Motor-homes, Busses and 6-wheeled chassis
Old 03-26-2014, 12:24 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwp48 View Post
I was tinkering around recently on our new-to-us Sightseer 30A. I decided to check the air pressure in the tires. Front tires-no problem. Rear outer tires-no problem. Rear inside tires-Whoa! Where are the darn valve stems? After crawling around a bit I found them...they are on the inside of the inside tires.
My questions are:
Is this common?
Is this safe?
Cost?
At the very least this will be a PIA.
Are you saying that the stems are on the inside of the inner rim so stem is actually facing the axle?
Old 03-26-2014, 07:47 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Yep!
Inside of the inner wheel rim. You have to crawl under the coach!
rwp48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:48 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Yep either add valve extenders or have hard line valve extenders installed.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:11 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

As a side note your rear inner duals should be identical to the fronts if you have steel wheels. If you have aluminum outer duals and front wheels the valve stems on the inner duals should be facing the same direction as the ones on your front tires. I'll bet someone at the dealership rotated the rear inner dual valve stems to a position where they could reach them rather than add extensions or modify their gauge.

This is my conclusion as well. For some reason, the fronts must have been rotated to the rear. I have always been of the thinking that you rotate the fronts side to side and leave the rears alone unless there is a problem with the rears. All said.... if all the tires appear to have equal ware, I would consider moving the inner duals back to the front, and installing inner valve extensions for the rears.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:38 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

anyone using "alligator" caps on their valve stems. got them at les schwab. this way i do not need to remove the cap to check the air pressure.
sure is handy :-)
pdq
pdq_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:14 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwp48 View Post
After crawling around a bit I found them...they are on the inside of the inside tires.
My questions are:
Is this common?
Is this safe?
Cost?
As a data point to your last question. I recently had my Class A to a good tire shop (Purcell Tire in ABQ). I had them balance all six tires (road force on the front) and replace all valve stems (long solid stems on inner duals and solid angled stems on the outer duals). Cost me $250.00. I was pleased as it eliminated a vibration issue and added some peace of mind.
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote