Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2016, 10:10 AM   #441
Winnie-Wise

Slydog!!! Very clever!!! I like. Scheming, I am......
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:07 PM   #442
Winnebago Watcher

slydog...Very nice job on the new storage bin, have you had any luck finding the weather striping to go around the bin? Im doing this same mod, looking for latches too.
koonta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:12 AM   #443
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by koonta View Post
slydog...Very nice job on the new storage bin, have you had any luck finding the weather striping to go around the bin? Im doing this same mod, looking for latches too.
Its open on road the bottom.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:11 PM   #444
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by koonta View Post
Yes this is open to the bottom as Crow said but it doesn't seem to get much dirt or water, I guess it depends on how you travel. You could make a shield but a complete seal would be almost impossible. It is nice that the bottom is open because you can close the panel with the hose/cord conected. I only latch left side with a lockable hasp.
Slydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:07 PM   #445
Winnebago Watcher

Experience with towing Honda CRV or larger vehicle

I would welcome any experiences that people have with towing a 2014 Honda CRV. I currently tow an automatic Honda Fit with our Navion 2011 but would like a larger car. The CRV, at about 3500 lbs, is about 1000 pounds heavier than the Fit. I am a bit worried about stopping distance and acceleration with a heavier toad. I have a supplemental braking system (US Gear) which works very well with the Fit.

I have done some research and have found very very few cars that are larger than the Fit and can be towed four down with an automatic transmission. I am aware that the Ford Fusion might fit the bill but it is almost the same weight as a Honda CRV and I would prefer the CRV.

Any thoughts or experiences with towing the Honda CRV or perhaps an alternative would be appreciated.

Thanks

John and Margo
Vancouver Canada
Tuckerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:19 PM   #446
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
I would welcome any experiences that people have with towing a 2014 Honda CRV. I currently tow an automatic Honda Fit with our Navion 2011 but would like a larger car. The CRV, at about 3500 lbs, is about 1000 pounds heavier than the Fit. I am a bit worried about stopping distance and acceleration with a heavier toad. I have a supplemental braking system (US Gear) which works very well with the Fit.

I have done some research and have found very very few cars that are larger than the Fit and can be towed four down with an automatic transmission. I am aware that the Ford Fusion might fit the bill but it is almost the same weight as a Honda CRV and I would prefer the CRV.

Any thoughts or experiences with towing the Honda CRV or perhaps an alternative would be appreciated.

Thanks

John and Margo
Vancouver Canada
Tuckerman...A bit over a year ago, I too inquired about the pros/cons of CR-V vs Chevy sonic. After much thought and research but little input from anyone who could offer much in the line of direct experience, I decided to go with the Sonic. We needed a hatchback for the (growing)dogs and I so wanted the CR-V but was, as you are, concerned about the added weight. (700 more lbs than the Sonic) After a bunch more number crunching and actual contact with a View with a CR-V toad, we've decided to get a CR-V. We should have it (2013) in a week or two. I will be taking the Invisibrake system out of the Sonic and install it in the CR-V. Then I'll sell it. It will certainly be a great Toad for someone else. It only has 17K miles on it and it still runs and looks fantastic. Someone did post that it'll slow me down a tad and if necessary..i.e., 7% grade climbs, we could always unhook at the base and drive it up but, as long as I'm comfortable with 40-45 up those grades, I will not have any issues with it. Unfortunately though I will have to pay to have the brake system removed from the Sonic, Pay to have it put in the CR-V and pay for and have installed a new base plate. I'll just sell the Sonic with it's base plate installed...that should make it easier to sell to someone looking for a 2700 lb toad. Hopefully this helps you a tiny bit.
22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Donut lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:01 AM   #447
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2005 CR-V which serves us well as a toad. Same weight as newer units. We towed it to Alaska last year, for a trip of over 10,000 miles with no problems. The only place we didn't tow was the Top of the World Highway, but that wasn't as bad as we thought it would be.

While towing the View got about 13.9 mpg for the entire trip. When not towing we get more like 15.5 mpg, so it cost us about 1.5 mpg to tow. Hills and other climbs were absolutely not a problem and we never felt like we were impeding traffic.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:54 AM   #448
Winnebago Camper

I'm sure you know that 2014 was the last towable year for the CRV. The 15's and newer were built different. We bought our 2014 to use as a toad but haven't outfitted it yet. What would you say is the estimated cost to put everything I need on it to use it as a toad? I need a tow bar, a braking system and what else?
dlarsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 01:02 PM   #449
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlarsell View Post
I'm sure you know that 2014 was the last towable year for the CRV. The 15's and newer were built different. We bought our 2014 to use as a toad but haven't outfitted it yet. What would you say is the estimated cost to put everything I need on it to use it as a toad? I need a tow bar, a braking system and what else?
You need the baseplate that's attached to the CR-V chassis to give strong towing anchors. You also need to wire the CR-V to plug into the rear wiring harness of the View so taillights, turn signals and brake lights on the toad are working. The dealer also hooked up the break-away that will trigger the toad brakes if it becomes separated from the motorhome. We had all this done by a local RV dealer and it came to around $1,400 if I recall correctly. The car had a 4-flat connector and I bought a short converter to allow the View circular (6 or 7 wire?) connector to accept a 4-flat.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:00 PM   #450
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydog View Post
One of my first mods, this panel is hinged from the factory, it is covering the black tank. I've added a gas piston (left) and a stop on the right plus the two hangers. Then I reworked the cord and hose. The small hasp (upper left) does not show when the door is closed. Also door can be closed with cord and hose connected.

This is on a 2016 View 24J
Does your 2016 have a black tank flush port? or is that a 2017? ours is a 2015, I'm going to install one..
koonta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:29 PM   #451
Winnebago Owner

Just finished with the lock issue.
Both Winnebago and Freightliner took care of the job.
Winnebago about a 6 hour job. Freightliner replaced the Sam unit, flashed with the new software and took care of an update at the same time about an hour.

Thanks to both Companies.
S Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 04:34 PM   #452
Winnebago Watcher

thinking of getting a View. Anyone have any experience / problems with clearance on BLM or US Forest Service roads. Thanks
DK948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:47 AM   #453
Winnebago Owner

one of the best things about the View is the maneuverability. You can turn one around on a 2 lane country road, without leaving the roadway. We camped on bumpy narrow sites, with no other campers around except tents. It is 11'3" HIGH...that & width are really the only limiting factors. We had a 24V, it was very comfortable...even without the slide extended.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:37 AM   #454
Winnebago Camper

Can some one help with a fuse issue, ok we are lucky enough to have stopped the need for are a/c running in our 2016 View, but this morning I tried to turn on gas HEAT and the fuse in the panel blow
Checked it replaced with new and got the wall unit to light the temp but when I moved to heat ... Blown again

Going south in a few days so really no need for heat but I have to get more 15a fuse to get even the a/c running
gmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:52 PM   #455
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmasters View Post
Can some one help with a fuse issue, ok we are lucky enough to have stopped the need for are a/c running in our 2016 View, but this morning I tried to turn on gas HEAT and the fuse in the panel blow
Checked it replaced with new and got the wall unit to light the temp but when I moved to heat ... Blown again

Going south in a few days so really no need for heat but I have to get more 15a fuse to get even the a/c running

Ok have new fuse and have tried to see the issue
1 it works on fan,
2 it worked on a/c
3 it worked electric heat pump

Than turned on gas heat and blown again

Shhh
gmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:31 AM   #456
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlarsell View Post
I just had our '13 CRV outfitted for towing. My total was $1800. That included the cost of the Base Plate, the cost of REMOVING my Stay In Play brake system from another car and the cost to install it in the CR-V. I can't find the receipt at the moment to break it down for you. Before the CRV, I had the Base plate installed on a Chevy Sonic, the electrical wiring hooked up to my RV alternator to prevent draining the toad battery, a new Stay in play brake system mounted, an 8 inch drop down hitch, a Blue Ox tow bar and a brake light wire routed up to the RV dash with an LED to alert when the brakes activate in the toad. That was done 16 months ago. All of that cost $3700. for that full job. Hope this helps.
22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Donut lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 04:47 PM   #457
Winnebago Camper

Just back from our 15 day, 4500 mile trip with a few mysteries.

1: How do I remove the galley drawers under the cooktop on the 2017 24J? One of the ducts running below the bottom drawer is catching on it and I'd like to get in there and reposition the duct. I looked but didn't see a way to detach the drawers from the rails.

2: No heat blows to either of the two bathroom heat output vents. Thinking this might need a trip to the dealer but I thought I'd run it by the forum first.

3: We seem to have a magic gray water tank. Showers, doing the dishes, vanity sink usage and so forth but ours always reads empty! It certainly wasn't when we dumped at the end of the trip.

Everything else seemed to work as advertised and we averaged 15.6 mpg from WA state to the plains and back.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:27 PM   #458
Winnebago Owner

The drawers have a tab that you lift or push on the side. This is the limit for the drawer run. Try pushing or lifting. I forget but they will slide out.
KH
Old 09-18-2016, 10:31 PM   #459
Winnebago Owner

I reread your issues. Go to the dealer. Your vents are not connected or plugged. Others have had this problem. The Gray water needs to get the panel connected. If the other ones work, it is a wire issue from the tank.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:09 AM   #460
Winnebago Camper

Gray water tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyonlands View Post
Just back from our 15 day, 4500 mile trip with a few mysteries.

1: How do I remove the galley drawers under the cooktop on the 2017 24J? One of the ducts running below the bottom drawer is catching on it and I'd like to get in there and reposition the duct. I looked but didn't see a way to detach the drawers from the rails.

2: No heat blows to either of the two bathroom heat output vents. Thinking this might need a trip to the dealer but I thought I'd run it by the forum first.

3: We seem to have a magic gray water tank. Showers, doing the dishes, vanity sink usage and so forth but ours always reads empty! It certainly wasn't when we dumped at the end of the trip.

Everything else seemed to work as advertised and we averaged 15.6 mpg from WA state to the plains and back.
The gray and black tanks do not show measurements until they're more then 1/2 full on our 2014. 24 J
johnff is offline   Reply With Quote