Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2021, 02:29 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Vista Slide topper

The second slide topper for the front slide on my 2019 Vista 27PE is on order. The slide topper catches on the trim, binds and either prevents the slide from moving or breaks/bends the brackets. The parts are all Winnebago designated part numbers from Carefree.

I m wondering if anyone else is having problems with their Vista slide toppers.
jfessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2021, 09:25 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Clarification please: Is the slide topper rolling-up in a skewed fashion...thus bunching up....kinda like a window shade that is not rolling up "straight". If so, is the bunching-up occurring at the front of the topper?...or the rear?
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 09:48 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
The fabric has very little clearance to the trim on the top of the slide. If the roll has any resistance the brackets flex, the roll contacts the slide trim and binds. Carefree toppers are made of such light weight aluminum they are very unreliable. I plan on having it replaced with a Solera which has a much larger clearance roll to slide. Carefree has been down for at least two weeks so very little chance of getting a replacement anyway. First replacement took 6 months.
Old 11-10-2021, 12:54 PM   #4

Same here, driver side topper appears to stretch out and tries to wrap itself around the rear mount. Sitting in the shop (since August) for 3d replacement but waiting on some kind of add-on that's supposed to permanently fix the problem. No idea yet what that add-on is, won't find out until they get it installed.
Old 11-11-2021, 06:14 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Unless it isn't usable I never leave my RV at the service location waiting for parts. Owned it 2 years in December and the front slide topper has been off for at least a year of that time. First replacement took 9 months. The last one failed in Oregon at a KOA 2600 miles from home. Took it off, drove another 5000 miles. It's still there.
Last week they had to replace both motors and controller. I believe the binding slide topper was the cause.

Is the fix coming from Winnebago or Carefree?

Carefree www site states "expect 3 to 4 week delay" now that it is back up.
Old 11-12-2021, 01:19 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
FYI, my full-length slide (driver's side) has been without topper for just over a year. I ordered a replacement so that (someday!!) I could re-string the topper myself with a couple of friends. As it stands, I don't see accomplishing this task anytime soon. So all this is to say: I've just about "had it" with slide toppers. Since losing the main-slide topper, the kitchen-slide topper has failed, and the bedroom-side topper is about to fail as well. I may use this rig for several years without any canvass toppers. They keep me awake at night when winds are blowing.
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 03:19 PM   #7

2020 Adventurer 27N - We have had issues with our smaller closet slide out at the rear on the drivers side. Had the CareFree 'open' slide-out cover for both driver side slide outs. However, the Passenger side has the CareFree Ascent fully covered awning. When we went to pick up at delivery, the driver rear slide topper was missing. LaMesa explained there had been an issue with the slide-out not going out...they had determined an issue with the slide topper. 6 months later, we experienced the slide out not going out. Took to dealership and....it worked for them. 9 months later, prepping for a 4 month trip, slide out would extend 1/2 way. Keep trying and then a big POP. Went out to look and the slide-out had broken at the forward end, flew up into the air and made a hole in the roof. Patched roof, retrieved all the parts, notified LaMesa at time of failure.

While on trip, contacted ShadePro and then came out to evaluate. Indicated the CareFree open awning slide-outs can be an issue. I went ahead and replaced both driver side with Carefree Ascent Acrylic slide-out covers. Slide out motors do not seem to strain as much when opening...anecdotal feeling! Much happier having slide-out material covered from sun when units are retracted.

PS, Winnebago did pay for the repair to the roof. I am OK paying for the upgraded awnings as I did not want to have repeated issues with the OEM versions originally installed.
Kehnisz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide