Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2021, 04:55 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Voyage 38J workhorse chassis - lost 1/2 50 amp power

New ​problem - connected to 50 amp campground pedestal,
which show correct voltage for each leg (campground just
replaced each breaker for me).

Coach seems to be running on 30 amps through the electrical
management system and will only provide continues power to
the front ac. Second ac runs for just a few minuets and then
looses all power. All else in the coach seems to run ok.

Turn pedestal breakers off and back on, both ac's start, but second
will loose power after running a short time (5 to 10 minuets).
Act's just like a weak circuit breaker, but doesn't trip the breaker.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2021, 06:07 PM   #2

Hi
I think a previous post mentioned you may be losing a leg on the post under load, I would try what he said first try another power source, if that doesn't solve your problem then you may have a problem at your transfer switch where power cord enters the coach. If you are comfortable with working on electrical systems and safe and have a volt meter you can check that at the terminals in the switch to see the voltage drop. It could even be a problem in the cord/plug assembly. But switching power source would eliminate or confirm that.
Good Luck be safe.
Onebrit
onebrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 11:18 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Onebrit
Thanks for the reply - First I checked the 50 amp ATS lugs for being tight, which they where.

Next a voltage check on input and output (no load) all checked good, all legs. Next front and back AC now show power available. Started front AC OK. Tried rear AC, heard and thunk (unable to find where it cam from) and power went dead to rear AC display. Still show correct power to both output legs of the ATS

Turned circuit breaker (50 amp pedestal) off and back on. Now both AC's run as usual.

After running for some time the rear AC again stopped and lost power to the display after trying to start again.

Could it be I've got a 14 year old AC (back one) going south ?

Thanks again for your time and ideas.
Old 06-20-2021, 01:30 PM   #4

If you have a load sheading device showing 30 amps while on 50 amps, check for circuit breakers off in the main panel.

You may not be using them, but the load sheading device may be connected to them.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 08:51 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Things have changed - now 50 amp is running correctly - except rear air (replaced in 2015) - shows power on thermostat, but when it's turned on I hear a click and the ac goes dead. After a short period the power reappears on the thermostat. Is there a resettable breaker in the AC ?
Old 06-29-2021, 04:17 PM   #6

I added this to my 38J great for trouble shooting amp loads by the leg

ktoutoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 05:45 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixster View Post
Things have changed - now 50 amp is running correctly - except rear air (replaced in 2015) - shows power on thermostat, but when it's turned on I hear a click and the ac goes dead. After a short period the power reappears on the thermostat. Is there a resettable breaker in the AC ?
I don't know what you mean by power to thermostat going off and on. Are you saying you are loosing a zone? You could have a bad relay in the controller in the A/C. Do the following:
Turn the breaker for the bad A/C unit off.
Remove the shroud
Remove the plenum cover on the front of the unit. There are several screws around the edge of it. Lift and pull.
The controller is the thing all the wires go to. Undo the left and right wingnuts from the mounting posts.
Pull the unit up and remove the 4 screws holding the cover on.
Under the cover is the control board and several relays. I have had problems with these relays and with burnt wires. If you need a relay let me know. I have several spares. I will give you what you need. I bought to many thinking I needed them. Wrong thought.
A new starting Cap might be in order also if the above is not the problem.
When you button it al back up make certain to get the freeze sensor back into the condenser coil securely.
Looking forward to hearing what the trouble fix is.
Rick
Old 06-30-2021, 07:48 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am not sure if this will help. About five years ago, I had similar problems with voltage issues and basement heat pump failure. It might be worth looking at the control board. It looked fine at first but when I turned it over, I did not need to look any further. The underside of the circuit board showed evidence of over heating, burnt wires, etc. Replaced with a new board and all was well.
Old 06-30-2021, 09:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixster View Post
Many thermostats are powered with 12 volt power. If its going dark, it may be a 12 volt, auto reset, breaker issue.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, power, voyage, workhorse, workhorse chassis