Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2020, 06:34 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Exclamation W22 - Motor Shroud/Baffle/Curtain Replacement

On my 02 Win Adventurer, there is/was some sort of heavy "shroud" doodad on top of the motor at the back of the hood cage but before the doghouse. The PO had rigged some inner tube thing initially and it stunk up the coach once motor got hot, and then his son replaced that with some other sort of rubbery cloth like thing and that thing stinks when the motor gets hot....

First - what is that thing for? What material should be used? I can't seem to find that part or what its proper name is either.... anyone who can enlighten me on this I would be so grateful.

If one removes it, will it cause problems? The smell gives me a major headache...

Thank you!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2020, 07:16 PM   #2

Our ‘03 has the same type of shroud, made of a thick rubber type fabric, that separates the engine from the front access area. We never got a good answer on its purpose from the Winnebago dealer we got it from. However, unlike yours, ours hasn’t given us any ill effects. Perhaps yours is in close proximity, or in contact, with the engine manifold or exhaust.
bobmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:58 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmar View Post
Our ‘03 has the same type of shroud, made of a thick rubber type fabric, that separates the engine from the front access area. We never got a good answer on its purpose from the Winnebago dealer we got it from. However, unlike yours, ours hasn’t given us any ill effects. Perhaps yours is in close proximity, or in contact, with the engine manifold or exhaust.
Hoping I can find a replacement... whatever the PO used is not the right material...
Old 11-02-2020, 11:18 PM   #4

Grand Design Owners Club
W22 - Motor Shroud/Baffle/Curtain Replacement

It’s there by design. It keeps airflow from bypassing the “cooling pack”. Forces air to flow through the radiator as it supposed to.

As to the aroma, really can’t say what that would be from.

You might have success with the part number with search related to Workhorse vs your coach brand since it is more a chassis part.
Kluffinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 11:42 PM   #5

Grand Design Owners Club
BTW if you can’t find the workhorse part, if it were me I’d look to get a piece of conveyor belt or bucket elevator belt to make a replacement. It’s thick, stiff and fiber reinforced.
Old 11-03-2020, 04:55 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/W800...per-And-Lower)
Give brazils a call. You might just need one half of the shroud.
My first one came loose and needed replaced. Long story short, without one in place engine would overheat within a few miles.
Good Luck
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 06:55 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Larson View Post
https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/W800...per-And-Lower)
Give brazils a call. You might just need one half of the shroud.
My first one came loose and needed replaced. Long story short, without one in place engine would overheat within a few miles.
Good Luck
I don't think this is what the OP is talking about. This is the fan shroud attached to the back of the radiator.

He is concerned with a rubbery curtain that is suspended near the bottom of the windshield and covers the area above the front of the engine. Its purpose is to block air from flowing over the top of the engine. It has cutouts to accommodate cooling air for the ECM and TCM. It also has cutouts to give access to checking and filling the engine and transmission fluids.

I need one too! If anybody has a part number it would be appreciated. I'm thinking of making one but getting the cutouts the right shape and in the right places might be difficult.
Old 11-03-2020, 09:02 AM   #8

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7910.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	487.5 KB
ID:	306812

I assume this is what we’re talking about. Doesn’t appear to be a factory standard but does direct airflow. Not custom fit either, just cut from bulk material. Never removed so don’t know how it would affect engine temps.
bobmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 09:39 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluffinator View Post
It’s there by design. It keeps airflow from bypassing the “cooling pack”. Forces air to flow through the radiator as it supposed to.

As to the aroma, really can’t say what that would be from.

You might have success with the part number with search related to Workhorse vs your coach brand since it is more a chassis part.
Found part on Workhorse website - says it has been discontinued... so time to find some non-stinky material...
Old 11-03-2020, 09:42 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
I don't think this is what the OP is talking about. This is the fan shroud attached to the back of the radiator.

He is concerned with a rubbery curtain that is suspended near the bottom of the windshield and covers the area above the front of the engine. Its purpose is to block air from flowing over the top of the engine. It has cutouts to accommodate cooling air for the ECM and TCM. It also has cutouts to give access to checking and filling the engine and transmission fluids.

I need one too! If anybody has a part number it would be appreciated. I'm thinking of making one but getting the cutouts the right shape and in the right places might be difficult.

Yup, thats the one! Found part#, but it has been discontinued ... so we get to make our own!
Old 11-03-2020, 09:44 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmar View Post
Attachment 306812

I assume this is what we’re talking about. Doesn’t appear to be a factory standard but does direct airflow. Not custom fit either, just cut from bulk material. Never removed so don’t know how it would affect engine temps.
Yup, looks like yours was a DIY job as well...
Old 11-03-2020, 09:45 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
JFYI - here is the factory OEM one that has been discontinued...

W0005312 - Baffle - Recirculating Air Side (Air Diversion Panel)

https://www.workhorseparts.com/2005-...anel)?limit=25
Old 11-03-2020, 01:30 PM   #13

Grand Design Owners Club
If you go to a farm implement dealer you might be able to get a piece of rubber belt that came off a combine or hay baler. It wouldn't take much of if needed you could lace the pieces together using pop rivets or safety wire.

Make a template using some cardboard.

You can also get belting material from Graingers.
Old 11-03-2020, 06:16 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluffinator View Post
If you go to a farm implement dealer you might be able to get a piece of rubber belt that came off a combine or hay baler. It wouldn't take much of if needed you could lace the pieces together using pop rivets or safety wire.

Make a template using some cardboard.

You can also get belting material from Graingers.

Great idea, as long as heat doesn't make it give off an odor....

Wonder why one could not use some sort of aluminum or sheet metal? Something that would not rust and have no affect from engine heat.

Tags
ace, motor, replace, replacement, w22