Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Washing and waxing

Now that it's cooling down going to get this done before winter!

Itasca Horizon 2005 40ad. What brand wax does everyone use and like? Besides lots of elbow grease any special equipment we need to make the job easier? I'm sure it will take hubby and me a couple days to get this job done! Any tips to complete the job without killing each other?

Thanks for ant info you can share.

Bren
Upslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Just did our Fiver with Carnauba California Gold hand wax. About 10 hrs to hand wash/wax over several days. This is much easier way with very impressive results, but a bit more payola to fork out.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I use the Turtle wax car wash stuff that has wax in it ...clearcoat safe. Apply from a bucket with sponge, wash kit, and/or telescoping soft-bristle car-wash brush brush. Rinse off before it dries (do a section at a time). It does a beautiful job ...you can chamois-dry if you want, but really not necessary. I do it 2-3 times a year. I see no need for the wax-on/wax-off hand job with clear coat paint ...only on my old pickup with the original paint that oxidizes.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Make it easy, use a Car wash with wax in it then dry with a chamois or large soft cotton towel. I like to spray Wax as you Dry product on as you dry. Does a great job. NO heavy buffing.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We use RejeX. Easy on and easy off and it will last a year unless you run into extreme weather conditions. You can use it on chrome, paint and glass. I think it works better on glass than Rain-X when it is raining.

RejeX: Nothing Sticks but the Shine!

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have used several different waxes now, I use Turtle Wax Ice" paste" because of uv protection and dries clear so no white marks on the rubber. Easy on and easy off. I also use Blue Corel wash and wax when we wash it. I use Nu finish on the fiberglass roof. Turtle wax ice also comes in liquid form doesn't say anything about UV protection. Our toad and vette also are waxed with TWI.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:29 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBEEBOP View Post
Make it easy, use a Car wash with wax in it then dry with a chamois or large soft cotton towel. I like to spray Wax as you Dry product on as you dry. Does a great job. NO heavy buffing.

I do the same as you....what is nice about the spray wax is at most CG, they will let you clean the windshield and the front of the rv (with permission) and a quick spray and wipe, it stays somewhat protected.
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:38 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I use shurbond propolish. Wipes in easy no white chalk fillers and no buffing. Nice smooth finish feels like it was clayed.
Plane nutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:07 AM   #9
Site Team

Tomorrow (Friday), I am covering my entire RV, top to bottom, with 303 Aerospace Protectant, as it works great on fiberglass, plastic, glass, and rubber. I've used it on my Honda Pilot with great results, but this is the first time for my RV, which I just purchased in June. I'll let you know how it goes and how many Advil I need to take on Saturday! :-)
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:16 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I like the Meguiar's products, have used them for years, but despite a double wax last year, my aging exterior walls developed mold last winter in the fine microcracks of the gelcoat, couldn't get it off and I had to resort to bleach to remove it.

Not gonna wax the coach 5 times a year, so I am gonna try the Poly Glow this fall. Will keep you posted on that as the process begins. Many others have used this product and have had amazing and lasting results. I am waiting for cooler weather here in DFW so it will be probably October or November.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:17 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
Tomorrow (Friday), I am covering my entire RV, top to bottom, with 303 Aerospace Protectant, as it works great on fiberglass, plastic, glass, and rubber. I've used it on my Honda Pilot with great results, but this is the first time for my RV, which I just purchased in June. I'll let you know how it goes and how many Advil I need to take on Saturday! :-)
Take pictures! Pictures! Pictures!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

wash and wax

I tryed the waterless wash and wax for aircraft and rv. It sure was lot easier to put on and off. Put it on several weeks ago so far it sure looks good with a deep shine and with the antic-static don't have dust or water streaks. The product name Wash and Wax all. I sure happy with out come.
ramwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:54 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramwheel View Post
I tryed the waterless wash and wax for aircraft and rv. It sure was lot easier to put on and off. Put it on several weeks ago so far it sure looks good with a deep shine and with the antic-static don't have dust or water streaks. The product name Wash and Wax all. I sure happy with out come.
I have this product and use it sparingly. I just can't spray it on a bunch of dirt and wipe it off. Goes against my "grain" as it has got to be grinding in the dirt that I am wiping off. I use it actually when the RV seems to be pretty clean but I have some slightly dusty spots to shine up.

Don
Old 08-30-2012, 08:57 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Upslady,
Here are a couple of thoughts regarding waxing your motor home:
Carnauba California Gold is the best wax you can buy but will normally only last 6 to 8 weeks.
Anything AFChap recommends is good and you should consider it.
I have used RejeX, it is good but sometimes only lasts 5 or 6 months.
I have used Turtle Wax Ice but it only last 6 or 7 months. Be sure to only use the paste not liquid.
I have NOT used Shurbond Pro Polish but have read good things about it. Expensive??
303 Aerospace is good stuff (and the best for an older motor home) but will only last 4 or 5 months
I currently use Meguiar’s synthetic Ultimate Paste for the best shine and ease of application. Wipe on and easy wipe off. I have only had it on for two months so I don’t know how long it will last but I am told it is a paint protectant and their longest lasting “wax.” You will not believe how well it shines. (For the rubber you should apply 303.)

My best recommendation is Mequiar’s Ultimate Paste Wax.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:07 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

I use Dry Wash N Guard, even on the windows. Water barely sticks and that keeps the dirt off to.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:45 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I bought the shurbond on Amazon for around 15 bucks free shipping. I may have paid too much but it's worth it to me to not have to go to the store and stare at the polish aisle like its a fireworks show. I'm more confused by packaging than straight up performance.
Plane nutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:08 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2

Take pictures! Pictures! Pictures!
Here's the top and side I finished today...will tackle the rest tomorrow..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2722202442.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	440.6 KB
ID:	25505   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-835922588.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	342.7 KB
ID:	25506  

Old 08-31-2012, 07:18 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dengraham View Post
Upslady,
Here are a couple of thoughts regarding waxing your motor home:
Carnauba California Gold is the best wax you can buy but will normally only last 6 to 8 weeks.
Anything AFChap recommends is good and you should consider it.
I have used RejeX, it is good but sometimes only lasts 5 or 6 months.
I have used Turtle Wax Ice but it only last 6 or 7 months. Be sure to only use the paste not liquid.
I have NOT used Shurbond Pro Polish but have read good things about it. Expensive??
303 Aerospace is good stuff (and the best for an older motor home) but will only last 4 or 5 months
I currently use Meguiar’s synthetic Ultimate Paste for the best shine and ease of application. Wipe on and easy wipe off. I have only had it on for two months so I don’t know how long it will last but I am told it is a paint protectant and their longest lasting “wax.” You will not believe how well it shines. (For the rubber you should apply 303.)

My best recommendation is Mequiar’s Ultimate Paste Wax.
Sounds like you pretty much tried them all. I'll have to try the Meguire's that you highly recommend.
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut

Here's the top and side I finished today...will tackle the rest tomorrow..
Finished the entire RV with 303 Protectant, from the AC cover, roof, walls, glass, wheels and tires! Took me ten hours over two days, but I'm happy with the results! I think it will take less time the next time, as this was the first "wax" since I purchased in June.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
NOTE: Read the bottle as using 303 Aerospace Protectant on painted surfaces is not included in recommended usage.
303® Aerospace Protectant 16oz. - Protectant
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote