Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2020, 02:14 PM   #1

Water getting into the Slide-Out Lock Assy

Our 2006 Itasca Horizon 40KD has a 13' passenger side slide-out with ceiling damage and fried microwave control panel from water penetration. After removing cabinets, microwave, and old ceiling material I suspect water got in through the slide out lock mechanism. But I am not positive. My suspicion is based on water stains in the remaining ceiling wood. I understand from reading other posts that water can overflow the lock mechanism if the drain hole becomes clogged, and I suspect that is what happened. However, I am wondering how water got into the slide-out lock mechanism. After all, there is a slide topper and a patio awning that should have prevented water from ever reaching the lock mechanism. Looking at the roof side of the slide-out, I see a box above the slide lock mechanism. If water were to collect on the slide-out roof I can see how water could get into the slide lock mechanism if the seal around that box were damaged. Without removing the slide topper, I can't get to that box to see if it is leaking or its seal is damaged. Does anyone have any experience with the slide-out lock mechanism leaking? Or, has anyone else had a similar slide-out water penetration issue?
KD4XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2020, 07:01 AM   #2

To visualize the lock box on the top of the slide out you would have to remove the awning topper rod with the fabric wrapped around it.

Because it is spring loaded you would have to pin the spring on one (or both ends) depending on your awning topper design.

Once the spring is pinned you can remove one end cap and release the rod with the fabric wrapped around it. If the slide out is out when you do that then you would just put the rod with the fabric wrapped around it on top of the slide out.Click image for larger version

Name:	20160226_114055.jpeg
Views:	292
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	307158
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 05:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeffrey View Post
To visualize the lock box on the top of the slide out you would have to remove the awning topper rod with the fabric wrapped around it.Attachment 307158
Thank you! That picture is exactly what I wanted to see.
Old 11-14-2020, 10:24 AM   #4

Semi-annual roof maintenance on that slide-out roof and particularily that slide-out lock box is problematic for a number of reasons. At the top of the list is having to remove the slide topper. A permanent solution to sealing around that lock box is preferable.

Does anyone have a better solution for permanently sealing the slide-out lock box.
Old 11-15-2020, 07:30 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The slide locks have a drain hole that needs to be cleaned out occasionally with a pipe cleaner or something similar. You should have a small drain fitting high in the outside of the slide wall.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 06:22 PM   #6

I suspect the water came in thru the thread holes on the topper near the roof line. I used liquid electrical tape to seal mine.
Old 11-20-2020, 05:23 PM   #7

The slide locks on my 2007 Journey would leak a lot. The drain holes need to be kept clear, but that doesn't work too well where I live in the woods as the bugs LOVE to crawl in those drains, die and plug them. I would have to clear them as least monthly, sometimes weekly. Of course the way to figure pout they are plugged is when the cabinets with the locks get soaked. Also, earlier this year I found one of the rubber cups those lock mechanisms sit in (the rubber tray with the drain hose) had cracked from age. My toppers needed replacement, so while they were off, I did like many others had done and blocked them off from above. Made aluminum plates I sealed to the lock top then added Eternabond tape around as extra preventative layer. Hasn't leaked since. I left the lock assemblies in place in case someone in future ever wants to deal with them.

I did price new lock assemblies, but it was prohibitively expensive to replace what is really a bad design - upward facing holes in the roof with a small drain hose as the only safety. A driving hard rain from the end of the slide will have water go across the slide roof and can overwhelm the drain. The consequences are damaged cabinets and interior below the leaks.

Jay
Old 11-25-2020, 08:03 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am so disappointed about this and the damage to the slide-out ceiling and the cost to repair that I have decided to sell the rig for what I can get and forget about RV'ing altogether.

Tags
slide, water