Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Water Heater trouble

The light in the red 110 elect switch does not light when the switch is turned on. The switch has 12 volts to it. The elect. side of the water heater also does not work. I can not find a 12 volt circut braker or one for the 110 side of the water heater Can anyone tell me if the light inside the red 110 water heater switch does not also kills the power to the heater relay?

06 Itasca 40' Horizon KD
Party Barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

PartyBarge,
NO, the red light inside the switch does NOT turn off the 120 circuit. The 120 circuit can work even if the little 12 volt red bulb is blown.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Barge View Post
The light in the red 110 elect switch does not light when the switch is turned on. The switch has 12 volts to it. The elect. side of the water heater also does not work. I can not find a 12 volt circut braker or one for the 110 side of the water heater Can anyone tell me if the light inside the red 110 water heater switch does not also kills the power to the heater relay?
Party Barge,
Many on here have had that little switch bulb burn out. In many cases, the switch still works, and the water heater is still getting 110V A/C to do the heating. But, as it sounds in your case, it may be that the 110V side is down too. The switch, basically is not rebuildable. Many have tried and while there's a few on here that most likely could do it, in my opinion it's not worth the messing around with it when, I replaced my switch, with one identical to the original, little red light and all, for $8.00 at our local RV parts store. It took me about 10 minutes, start to finish, to replace it.

Now, as for your 110V A/C side, not sure where to send you there partner. I don't know the circuitry in that side of it.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:09 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Our little red light has been out for about 4 months, but the water heater still works fine.
llmrealestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:32 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

When my red-light switch went bad, the 110 still worked. I replaced the switch with one without a light, has worked for years.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:49 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Try switching the switch with another one on the same panel that works. That's what I did the first time my light burned out.

I'm on my fourth or fifth switch now due to the light burning out. I order them three at a time.

Be extremely careful when pulling the connectors off as it is easy to knock off adjacent wires.

Take a picture first just in case.

Make sure ALL power is off from the shore power and disconnect the house batteries.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:09 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Water heater working

I checked the hot sides of the switch for continuity and it checked out so I left it on over nite and had hot water in the morning.

I think that when the problem first started, we were using gas and elect for some back to back showers after a long day of hiking. I think eco switch may have tripped because I don't the gas or elect worked. I went to check out the connections on the heater and when wigling the connections the gas fired up. I looked behind the heater to see if there was a reset button for the elect. side, but no. Thats when I ask the forum.
I have had the termal part blow a couple of years ago and know that it has to be replaced before the heater will operate.

Lastly, checked the water temp. at the kitchen tap because my wife commented that it seems really hot. It read 139 degrees with a laser temp guage. I can not find a temp setting in the owners manual, however I have read that heaters can have settings between 125 and 140.

Model Atwood GCH10A

I'm thinking that if the heater is running in the upper range of of its temp. setting I might be looking at thermostat??

RAB

06 Itasca 40' Horizon KD
Old 06-22-2012, 06:36 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Arch, where do you buy your switches?

06 Itasca 40' Horizon KD
Old 06-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

@Party Barge:

A1-31 is the switch part number for the water heater light and power.
Black Plastic, Red Light

$4.95 each

WWW.BURNSTIENES.COM 574-266-7676

TALK TO LYNN
Old 06-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

To change your water temp you have to change the thermostat. The thermostats come in different temperature settings from the factory.

Tags
heater, water