Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-10-2008, 08:05 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Hi everyone,

Well luckily I have not had to post on here for problems since purchasing our '06 Adventurer 38T almost 2 years ago. Well now I do have a problem. We moved out of the way of Hanna last weekend and did get some rain where we went (Charlottesville, VA). The next day I was preparing for departure and happen to walk around the passenger seat up front and my feet got wet from a very damp carpet. I couldn't figure out how it did get wet and then I noticed the electrical and telephone outlets that are attached to a fake wood surrounded MDF piece screwed onto the wall looked funny. I knew right away that it likely got wet and expanded which it did so the MDF is now useless. Luckily the outlets did not get wet as it only infiltrated the very bottom of the block and the stryrofoam insulation was dark brown beneath - this means it's been happening prior to Hanna and I never noticed it before. So I went about checking where the water may have entered, starting with the window and then the roof. Neither have any holes or missing caulking so then I considered the kitchen because ours is upfront, no water there and no sign of any leaks under the cabinets so it didn't come from that. I then compared outside with the inside of where this MDF resides and it's directly in line with the botton arm section of the awning. Last night I was able to see the wires for the the awning motor pass through at what I believe to be the possible penetration point but can't be 100% sure. Has anyone experienced this? Or not known about it and might want to check? Is it easy to remove an electronic awning to check? (this might be a hard task in my mind)

Also I believe based on the water lines on the MDf and the stryrofoam colour, it's been happening for a while so that brings me to Winnebago. If the leak is coming through this penetration point due to no caulking or a missing rubber grommet (or whatever they do to make things watertight), should they be responsible? How was I to know there was water coming in when it's behind a seat one never moves? I have dried out the area and am ready to caulk if I need to and nothing seems damaged beyone repair but that MDF will be a pain to replace. Also I will add that we had the motor replaced at a Winnie dealer on warranty this past May because the awning stopped working due to...water penetration!

Photos to follow hopefully tonight...pics added.

Tks.
Kyle

W24 8.1 Vortec
Kyle241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:05 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hi everyone,

Well luckily I have not had to post on here for problems since purchasing our '06 Adventurer 38T almost 2 years ago. Well now I do have a problem. We moved out of the way of Hanna last weekend and did get some rain where we went (Charlottesville, VA). The next day I was preparing for departure and happen to walk around the passenger seat up front and my feet got wet from a very damp carpet. I couldn't figure out how it did get wet and then I noticed the electrical and telephone outlets that are attached to a fake wood surrounded MDF piece screwed onto the wall looked funny. I knew right away that it likely got wet and expanded which it did so the MDF is now useless. Luckily the outlets did not get wet as it only infiltrated the very bottom of the block and the stryrofoam insulation was dark brown beneath - this means it's been happening prior to Hanna and I never noticed it before. So I went about checking where the water may have entered, starting with the window and then the roof. Neither have any holes or missing caulking so then I considered the kitchen because ours is upfront, no water there and no sign of any leaks under the cabinets so it didn't come from that. I then compared outside with the inside of where this MDF resides and it's directly in line with the botton arm section of the awning. Last night I was able to see the wires for the the awning motor pass through at what I believe to be the possible penetration point but can't be 100% sure. Has anyone experienced this? Or not known about it and might want to check? Is it easy to remove an electronic awning to check? (this might be a hard task in my mind)

Also I believe based on the water lines on the MDf and the stryrofoam colour, it's been happening for a while so that brings me to Winnebago. If the leak is coming through this penetration point due to no caulking or a missing rubber grommet (or whatever they do to make things watertight), should they be responsible? How was I to know there was water coming in when it's behind a seat one never moves? I have dried out the area and am ready to caulk if I need to and nothing seems damaged beyone repair but that MDF will be a pain to replace. Also I will add that we had the motor replaced at a Winnie dealer on warranty this past May because the awning stopped working due to...water penetration!

Photos to follow hopefully tonight...pics added.

Tks.
Kyle

W24 8.1 Vortec
Old 09-10-2008, 09:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have been trying to figure out how to get the bottom part of the awning arm off to replace a decal. I never did but in the process discovered that opening you are talking about! Nothing added by Winnebago to stop water from coming in. It must be the way the awning arm is designed to make them think there wouldn't be a problem! I never had a problem but it makes me nervous! The fix? Maybe some clauk?
Old 09-10-2008, 01:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

If you have a local dealer you use I would visit the service manager with the pics and the story. Hopefully, he might be able to give you some help as to dealing with Winnebago and/or sealing the opening. If you begin by dealing with the Winnebago customer service office by phone you probably will not get the help you are looking for. Not because they are not helpful but because you will be just another customer whining about a water leak. Get some support from you dealer first.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:37 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I just discoverd something similar in my 1999 Adventurer, wet carpet in front of the passenger seat. What I discovered is that the drain hose from the A/C evaperaror was clogged and not alowing the water to drain out. I discovered this when I looked under the right front corner of the coach and saw that a vaccum valve on the bottom of an A/C component was completely rusted out. My Ford dealer replaced the valve and un-clogged the drain line. By the looks of your picture, it looks like the water is wicking up from the caroet, not coming in from above, you might want to look at the drain hose.

2004 Adventurer 38G
J Stemler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:07 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

J,

I am assuming you are referring to the dash AC, correct? I'll take a look as I am open to anything as I am surprised by this and still haven't confirmed where the water might be coming from.

Tks.
Kyle

W24 8.1 Vortec
Old 09-10-2008, 04:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Kyle
I have the same problem -i working on it now
Give me a call 847-515-4736. I am on CDT Time

2005 Itasca 38R Suncruiser
Frank (Wires) & Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:57 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Frank,

I'll try to give you a call tonight if that works with your schedule. I did not log in after 8pm EST and did not see your message. I would like to know what you found and what you have done to address it.

Tks,
Kyle

W24 8.1 Vortec
Old 09-11-2008, 03:08 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Sorry, Yes I am referring to the dash air unit. In my coach, the unit is located under the dash on the passenger side.

2004 Adventurer 38G
J Stemler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:28 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I rechecked my opening on that arm & it is CAUCKED. If not water could follow the cable down & into the coach. The best I could see was too extend the awning out & look down. I am thinking the arm has too be removed from the inside. I think it is mounted to the same part of the frame the seat belt is.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:50 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Leaks are a bear to find. I had one in the same area on my LaPalma that took quite a bit of time to discover. Your statement about the carpet being wet and the location of leak by the passenger seat was exactly like mine. The only way I found it was to have my wife run a hose in different areas in the front of the coach while I checked inside for the source.
It ended up to be a small (almost inviible hole where the front cap is joined to the body. It ran inside to the window post and down from there onto the floor and the wall.

Hope this helped.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:18 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Man I hate to ssk a question when it is so clear to everyone else.
What is mdf?
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:34 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

I believe it stands for Medium Density Fiberboard. It's a fiberboard with paper outer surfaces, used among other things for highway signs. In this case it's the rectangular block of 'wood'.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:51 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

suggest you pressurize coach and spray soapy water in suspected leak areas outside and look for bubbles.
sometimes the dash fresh air will be enough to pressurize the coach.
if not, make an adapter to use a vacuum cleaner in a window.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:40 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Kyle - so my curiosity is killin' me - did you find the leak?
Old 09-17-2008, 05:15 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

We have 3 members with this problem so far -
Here is what I found-
I removed the inside window trim, inspect for plywood damage. (Water) Remove outside windsheld corner trim, and one screw under a plasic cap on the front cap. I use a shop vac to blow air at top front corner from the inside. Spay soapy water on outside looking for air bubbles. Be sure to check under top of the windshield ruber trim. Reseal as needed. All of the damaged inside plywood will need to be replaced. You must remove the outside corner trim to see the leaks!

Need more info- give me a call.

2005 Itasca 38R Suncruiser
Frank (Wires) & Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:26 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Actually I haven't had much time to inspect nor take Frank up on his offer of a call. Work has been running me around badly these past two weeks as I am upgrading my client's systems.

Frank, thanks for the post and the offer to discuss! I was just about to call today, my first 'day off' since finding the issue. I'll follow your advice on finding it and the repairs required. Based on your note, it sounds like the window is the problem then?

This gets me all back to wondering if really the cause is when the dealer replaced the smaller window above the passenger side because it went hazy (on warranty) or when they replaced the whole lower front fibreglass panel due to my drunken neighbour hitting the corner of my RV. The only good thing is his insurance paid the $10,000....they probably woundn't have if the police filed the report correctly. Or has it been there all along...

I'll inspect this weekend and will post up what I find.

Tks.
Kyle

W24 8.1 Vortec
Old 09-19-2008, 07:46 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I have a continuing water leak and the water drips down from the tv set seams on the bottom. I had the cap on the roof recaulked and the marker lights re caulked. I also applied etrnabond around the rubber duck antenna. I thought the problem was solved untill I recently went on a trip with the coach. There was (again) water dripping from the bottom seam on the TV set. I dont seem to get a leak when the coach is on the road but only when it has been in the RV storage lot. I was at CW a couple weeks ago getting oil change and other odds and ends done and talked with the technician about things in general and he mentioned to me that they can do the pressure test if you are not inclined to do it yourself. I am thinking that just before I winterize I'll have them do it for me. He did not quote a price for the proceedure.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote