Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2021, 06:29 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Water pump silencing kit

Just saw this in an advertisement.

SHURFLO RV WATER PUMP SILENCING KIT

Do they really work?
If anyone has tried this, Please advise OR if there are any other ways to quiet the pump let us know.

I have put extra foam for insulation but it is still very noisey.
Thanks.
winnie32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2021, 06:38 AM   #2

In looking at the kit I think you could do the same thing for cheaper buying the individual parts at the hardware or big box store. Good luck,
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 06:46 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's just a couple pieces of tubing, ostensibly to isolate vibration from the inlet and outlet. Does not address sound conduction from the pump mounting itself. By far the best sound isolation I've gotten was to mount the pump suspended across a couple pieces of tubing. Another option might be a piece of flexible rubber sheet. The trick is suspension vs direct mounting, giving the pump freedom of movement for vibration but stiff enough to suspend it's weight. Think suspension bridge or trampoline.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:14 AM   #4

Yes they do work, but I would also install an accumulator like this:

https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-182-2.../dp/B000N9VF6Q

The silencing kit essentially provides the soft tubing which absorbs pump vibrations. The addition of the accumulator will minimize the quick stop and start of the pump every time a faucet is turned on. You'll get a more even flow of water and the pump won't cycle nearly as often.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:19 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I installed the kit and I think it helps some. I also zip tied anything that could rattle around the pump. I like being able to hear the pump and wouldn't really want it to be quieter.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:29 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I did three things to quiet my pump down:

Mounted it to a cork base about 1" thick

Move water lines away from each other and tied them to framing.

Installed two 24" water lines i got at Home Depot to the input and output fittings of the pump and made a loop in them.

Quiet now, but still need to know if it's running. Good enough.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:29 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
They make it more quite.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 02:50 AM   #8

Even sliced rubber hose to make feet to isolate pump from floor/mounting assuming you can get to it.

My experience it is the actual pump motor making nearly all noise, and the pipes can be isolated off things by putting that foam insulation wrap to prevent movement against floor/each other/etc.

GL

ps: i need to do the same thing !!!
Old 07-28-2021, 06:03 AM   #9

I forgot to mention in my first post that we installed both the accumulator and silencing kit on both our 2001 Adventurer 32V and our 2013 Adventurer 32H. We've been very happy with the results on both coaches.

You can still hear the pump run, but it's more like a quiet electric motor than all the banging and rattling that went on before the installation. With both units in place the pump won't turn on every time you get a glass of water. When it does run it's a smooth cycle lasting a minimum of about 5 to 6 seconds.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:43 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
cant even hear our pump.if not for the light in kitchen and bathroom.i would know it was on? but its a 92 Itasca diesal too..maybe its built quieter than all your new ones.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:57 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Added a accumulator tank like this and did nothing else!
Normally I have to press my ear to the wall above pump to tell if it is running or not!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/36133710554...wAAOSwmSdaXl0X
Old 08-03-2021, 08:31 PM   #12

Adding rubber hoses to absorb pump vibrations and keep them from telegraphing to the hard plastic tubing in the system will help if the pump is not already connected with flexible rubber hoses.

Whether that particular kit is worth more than one you can make up yourself using commonly available supplies found at most home/hardware stores is another matter.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:54 PM   #13

Pump suction and especially discharge lines should be flex tubing

Mounting hard PEX lines to minimize movement helps quiet the pump noise.
Using pipe insulation around the hard PEX lines also helps

We use the Pump exclusively.....same constant pressure/flow regardless of where we go, easy to turn off when going to bed/leaving RV and just enough noise to know it is running W/O a demand (LEAK)

Simple.....
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 08:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie32v View Post
Just saw this in an advertisement.

SHURFLO RV WATER PUMP SILENCING KIT

Do they really work?
If anyone has tried this, Please advise OR if there are any other ways to quiet the pump let us know.

I have put extra foam for insulation but it is still very noisey.
Thanks.
Winne32v,
Well, I did just what you're asking, several years ago. I didn't use any form of a "kit". All I did was cruise on down to an upholstery supply store where we lived at the time which is called Keyston in San Diego. There I picked up a big block of closed cell foam. I had them cut it in half. I think the cost way back then was about $5.00 or so.
I then removed my water pump from the coach and proceeded to do, just exactly what folks do in brief cases for camera equipment. And that is cut an outline and then, start carving the foam for protrusions so the pump would fit nicely in that half of the foam I was working on at that time.

Then, I did the same for the opposite side. When I was done, I could put the two foam pieces together and it would completely seal the water pump inside. Of course I left openings for the hoses. When it came time to mount the pump, I simply used plumbers tape (flexible steel banding with a zillion holes all along it) to loosely lash it down in two directions.

I then re-mounted the hoses, also using foam insulation anywhere I could that would reduce any form of noise and vibrations.

When I was done, for the most part, you could NOT HEAR THE WATER PUMP RUNNING AT ALL!!!!!! The only reason you'd know it was running was because water was coming from the faucet you had open. It was, in practical reality, almost TOO QUIET. You could leave a faucet open by mistake and if you weren't paying attention, you'd be running water without knowing it.

A bit of a noisy pump, also lets you know if and when you've developed a leak or problem. Whereas, an ultra quiet one that I created, you really don't know you've got a leak 'till you start seeing some form of evidence.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, water, water pump