RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2020, 11:23 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
WeBoost Cellular Booster on 2020 Winnebago Vista 29VE

Hi all! I am new to the forum and hopefully am not creating extra threads! I tried searching but didn't find what I was looking for.

The goal here is to install the WeBoost Drive X RV cell booster and get the cabling into the coach.

I have a 2020 Winnebago Vista 20VE. It has the satellite prep, and I drilled the hole, put an access gland, and pulled through the 2 coax cables (I left the 12V power wire in the cavity, as I didn't need it). I connected one to the Dish Tailgater I installed on the roof with the King mount, and the 2nd one is ready to connect to something (I don't need it to go to the rear TV).

I requested a detailed wiring diagram from Winnebago Customer Service, as the wiring diagrams generally available didn't cover the roof. They sent me the pre-wire diagram as well as the full roof wiring plan, however, it's unclear whether the coax cables go straight from the roof to the wall plates (it says the single orange marked cable goes to the front AV cabinet, the double orange marked cable goes to the rear TV cabinet).

I do not want to drill another hole in the roof and I don't really want to run the cable through the slide out weatherstripping as suggested by WeBoost's install video.

The question is... Can I use the 2nd coax cable to connect it into the coach (I do know I will need some connectors, which I can get and crimp on or adapt)? Ideally, I could mount the booster antenna, connect to the pre-wired coax cable that goes to the bedroom TV cabinet, mount the inside box there, and then run the cable to the interior booster antenna wherever I need it.

Any thoughts or ideas on this?

Thanks a bunch!
quandosai is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2020, 09:06 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
While I believe you probably can use another coax cable as an extension, what I've read is that you'll experience additional signal loss due to the extra length / connections.

---

As a related story:

I recently installed the Drive X RV in our 2020 Adventurer 30T, and instead of drilling holes in the roof, I ran the cable in through the vent cover for the refrigerator.

In the layout for the 30T, the fridge is right next to the AV cabinet above the front door, where they leave space for rack mount satellite systems etc. I simply used a wire hanger to poke through the foam insulation panel just under the roof, and then used a stiff plastic straw to further drill / bore out the hole in order to fit the provided coax cable through.

Thus, I was able to mount the booster box permanently inside the AV cabinet, and run the internal antenna cabling out of the AV box and along the interior roof line (pinched between the headliner and the wall) above our passenger side slide out. The inside antenna is stored / placed inside the front passenger storage, and boosts the signal inside the cab area of the RV.

Slightly related -- we're using an old iPad on an Unlimited Elite plan from AT&T (100GB/mo w 30GB hotspot/mo before throttling) as our local 'router'. Both DW and I have phones on the plan as well, meaning we can use the three lines as hotspots over the course of a month for 90GB of hotspot data before throttling. We'll see how it works out -- currently we're out in Utah, with conference calls (some video, some not) happening throughout the day, and doing regular web design work kinds of things with little issues thus far. Hopefully that will remain the case
R E Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:11 AM   #3

Slightly related...we have the Weboost Drive RV in our Momentum. While planning your cabling be aware that the device you want to boost has to be VERY close to the inside antenna ( like almost touching it ) in order to get the most advantage out of it.
OffWiGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:28 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffWiGo View Post
While planning your cabling be aware that the device you want to boost has to be VERY close to the inside antenna ( like almost touching it ) in order to get the most advantage out of it.
Would tend to agree with this statement, although we've had good luck with the Drive X RV, with its much larger internal antenna. The tiny, candy-bar-sized internal antenna in the car/auto version (Drive X), definitely needs to be super close to the device you want to boost. However, in our experience, the larger Drive X RV internal antenna seems to boost pretty well across the interior space of the RV cab. Then our iPad provides the 'network' for the rest of our devices throughout the RV.
R E Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:45 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for everyone's input so far. I will check the vent to see if that's an option. I also ordered the correct connectors on Amazon and have a dB meter I can use to measure loss on the cable. I will test that to see how much loss there is using the pre-wired cabling. Will update once I get it all wired and working.

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2020, 12:11 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Update!

Hello all!

I wanted to update everyone after I tested some things out.

So the cable (double orange tape) for the rear satellite prep does not go through any splitters. It's a straight run (in my coach at least) and with a SMA to F low-loss adapter from Amazon, I was able to connect the outside WeBoost antenna directly to the TV cabinet in the back of the coach with no new roof penetrations.

From there, I used another low-loss adapter to connect from the wall jack labeled "Satellite from Roof" into the "Outside Antenna" connector on the WeBoost booster. I was able to then run the inside cable along the interior roof line (like R E Z suggested) tucked in.

Powered it up, got a green light, and tested the signal. Got a nice boost. I ordered an articulating antenna mount that I will install on the roof with VHB tape and it will allow me to raise and lower the antenna so that I don't have to mount it on the ladder (also gives me the most flexibility in finding the best place to install it on the roof). Will post photos once I get that done.

For anyone who is curious, using the pre-wired cable only caused 1.5dB of loss, including the connectors, so it was a worthwhile sacrifice to not have to put a new hole in the roof (I did check the fridge vent but that option wouldn't work because of where it's located).

Thanks everyone for their suggestions and hopefully this additional information is helpful.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:01 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffWiGo View Post
Slightly related...we have the Weboost Drive RV in our Momentum. While planning your cabling be aware that the device you want to boost has to be VERY close to the inside antenna ( like almost touching it ) in order to get the most advantage out of it.
Check out the link below regarding how the distance between phone and inside antenna affects the signal.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/tes...ch-509937.html
traveller333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago