Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Wet Air Filter

I have a 2011 Itasca Sunstar that has a 2” space in the front grill that lines up with the air filter intake. If caught in a heavy rain at highway speeds it sucks in rain water, enough where there is water in the bottom of the filter box and the filter is soaked.
2 questions:
1- Is the filter still good after it dries?
2- Has anyone modified their intake to prevent it from sucking in water?
Thanks for any help or suggestions you may have.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Suggest you do a forum search on the air filter question. I have seen this issue discussed quite a few times, including tips and ways to solve the problem.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Heap,
I did a search are suggested but it seems that the previous problems were with cone shape filters and mine is rectangular with a different air box mounted in a different location. The "J" tube fix I don't believe will work.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:49 PM   #4

You may be able to install a shield in front of the intake to help prevent water from entering. Any air filter that was wet I have replaced for customers. I cannot tell you if it will be ok or not but wet paper when it drys does not seem to have the same properties as when it was new. For $25 I would get a new Motorcraft air filter. Be careful with some aftermarket ones. The sealing edges are not the same strength as the factory and I have seen pieces of it breaking off and sticking in the MAF sensor. It is expensive and may leave you stranded unless you unplug the MAF to get you where you need to go.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:31 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotago2 View Post
I have a 2011 Itasca Sunstar that has a 2” space in the front grill that lines up with the air filter intake. If caught in a heavy rain at highway speeds it sucks in rain water, enough where there is water in the bottom of the filter box and the filter is soaked.
2 questions:
1- Is the filter still good after it dries?
2- Has anyone modified their intake to prevent it from sucking in water?
Thanks for any help or suggestions you may have.
after adjusting my hood as much as possible, i installed weather stripping seal on both the body and hood to keep water out of the air intake tuba. i am still looking for a bulb seal that will work.
there is a known problem with water infiltrating the windshield wiper motor and connectors from this source too.
i am using a k&n oiled gauze air filter pn 33-2062-1 in my original airbox. the k&n works fine after it dries. some airboxes leak around the seals. the seals on the k&n fit the airbox tightly.
i would recommend the s&b oiled gauze air filter element pn 66-2014d because it is thicker for better filtration.
they both flow a lot more air than paper filters and will not be damaged by water.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:49 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

In 2002 I had this problem and fought with it several years before learning about the “J” tube fix. I did find carrying a spare dry filter and stopping to change it out when one became wet took care of the problem. I always dried the wet one out and reused it with no problem. As you say the “J” tube will not work on yours. So until you can find a fix I think you will find carrying a spare filter is your best bet.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I extended the intake hose about 30" to the corner behind the wall in front of the passenger side taking it away from the direct flow of water coming through the hood area. I am also thinking of replacing the filter with a K&N type filter to compensate for the loner intake hose. I don't know if it will work but it's worth a try.