Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2009, 07:16 PM   #1

What do you think about this? Underside of coach

Today I was crawling under the coach (06, 36 Meridian) looking and detailing the underside (way to much time on my hands). I noticed something that bothered me and wanted to see if anyone else has seen this. On the rear of the coach right under the rear slide and directly under the electric compartment door where the cord is stored there is an HWH component that has what looks like two hydraulic cyclinders connected together with two hoses, one going in and the other out. In tracing this, it looks like it is for the bedroom slide but I cannot be sure. First question: what is this component for?
Second question: here is what bothers me. The connections where the hoses go in and out are very rusted yet very little rust is noticable everything else on the underside. I am thinking of replacing these as a precaution. Any thoughts?
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2009, 09:12 PM   #2

I have similiar coach. I am sure the cylinder(s) are for the rear slide. I thought mine had just one. I am not near my coach at the moment, but I would suggest that perhaps an adapter fitting placed between the hose and cylinder was not properly treated. If this is the case, I would simply wire brush it and paint it. Even left alone, it would last for avery long time. I have seen 30 year old farm machinery with severely rusted fittings and mostly rotted hose jackets still holding 2500 psi.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:56 PM   #3

Either the rear slide cylinder or what HWH calls an equalizing cylinder. But I thought that was only used on larger slides with two cylinders. Perhaps a call to Winnebago?

The rust (and any other rust you are worried about) can be stopped with a product by Permatex called ‘Rust Treatment RT-8A’. This seems to be the same product that Locktite used to make called ‘Extend’. Follow the instructions and it will turn black and I can attest to the fact that there will never be any rust ever again on the treated surfaces (as long as we both shall live). I found the product available at ‘Pep Boys’. A nice size 8oz. plastic bottle and you will need a couple of small disposable brushes to apply it. Make sure to open the bottle before you purchase it to be sure the seal is in tact. Once opened, the shelf life will be reduced because of exposure to air (moisture).
Old 08-30-2009, 11:00 PM   #4

I'm pretty sure it's the equalizing cylinder. It's purpose is to make sure your slide actuators work together.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:52 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The cylinder you can see (running parallel to the coach frame) is the synchronizing cylinder for your bedroom slide. My fittings were rusted also (I also had a leaking fitting and needed to replace a hose). Cleaning the rust and using either Extend or a Rustoleum product called 'Rust Reformer' will take care of it.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:09 PM   #6

Thanks guys for your replies. You were right, it is an equilizer cyclinder which keeps the rear slide lined up when going in and out. HWH today said don't worry about the rust. Wire brush it and paint. Guess that is what I will do but I sure don't think it can be a good thing long term but what do I know.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote