Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2022, 10:43 PM   #1

What is "Fibron" roof material?

What is "Fibron" roof material for my 2016 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 22R? Fiberglass on Luan? To clean and wax the roof use established wax for Fiberglass siding?
SantinoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2022, 07:40 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to Dsrtrider
roof

winnebago usually uses Filon which is a type of fiberglass. Any type of car wax would be good to protect it.
Dsrtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 08:03 AM   #3

I cleaned some light oxidation off mine with Meguiar's #50 then I maintain it with Meguiar's Flagship Premium RV & Marine Wax. They make other products for the initial cleaning but I had the #50 on hand and it worked great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	finished3.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	364597  
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 08:35 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Your Winnebago has a Filon roof. It is a fiberglass reinforced plastic. It comes is rolls and they roll it in one long piece to cover your roof. Filon is also used on the sides of your RV.

The Filon is glued down to very thin Luan plywood. Like 1/8th inch thin. Which is glued down to large styrofoam blocks that make up your roof structure. Individually each item is weak but when properly glued together in a sandwich it’s a strong and light weight assembly.

Don’t mistake it for Gel Coat fiberglass, like a boat or other rigid fiberglass products. The Filon is thin flexible plastic with some glass fibers layered in. It is flexible but can tear easily if it is twisted.

Most recommend a yearly or twice a year waxing with a car wash/wax. I also use a spray on UV protectant called “303.”
Old 05-17-2022, 04:23 PM   #5

Would LA's Totally Awesome spray be ok to use?
Old 05-17-2022, 05:29 PM   #6

cleaner/wax for Fibron

I have used Protectall spray cleaner/wax/UV protectant for the past 3 years, and it is the best product I have tried. Even after a proper washdown, the Protectall cleans the tough stuff that soap won't touch.
It lasts well, and is easier than 303, which I used to use.
Just spray, wipe with a cloth applicator, then final wipe with a clean microfiber towel (some modest elbow grease required) and it shines very well.
captainbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 06:20 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I use a stiff scrub brush on a long handle and a bucket full of a mixture of Kleen-flo Armashell Golden Wax Wash Powder. Rinse often with a hose that I keep up top. My wife sprays off the soap as it runs down the side because it's not good to let it dry.

This leaves the roof nice and clean with no residue that causes white streaks when out in the rain.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WashWax.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	365821  
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 06:30 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Cleaning a Filon Roof.

Here's me cleaning the roof.

A stiff brush, and do a small 4X4 foot section at a time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Washing the roof.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	365826  
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof