Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-02-2015, 07:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

What is going to happen to Itasca Dealers

Since Winnebago I dropping the Itasca name from their line, ( per Winnebago web site) what is going to happen to their dealers.

I know of a few cities that have a Winnebago dealer and another for Itasca. In a case like this does it mean the dealer loses the franchise and no longer sells Winnebago products?
Old 12-03-2015, 05:52 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Without reading the franchisee license agreement, it's impossible to know what will happen but let's look at this logically. You own a 2015 Itasca so I assume you're concerned about what happens to your warranty. The answer is: Probably nothing.

Since we know both WGO and Itasca come off the same assembly lines with the same chassis, appliances, fixtures and WGO supplied parts (walls, roofs, etc) we can assume WGO dealers can work on Itasca products. There may be franchisee restrictions about WGO working on Itasca products but that's all moot now and will probably be addressed by WGO lawyers.

From WGO dealers' perspective, very little will probably change except the above mentioned change in warranty work. Itasca dealers will probably be given a choice to convert to WGO. WGO may even offer them assistance in making that conversion. WGO certainly wouldn't want to lose money making Itasca dealers.

As for owners who are out of warranty, it probably won't make a nickel's worth of difference since many never use dealers for out-of-warranty repairs. It's probably not worth thinking about but if you're worried, call WGO and ask them.
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:21 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I am not concerned about the repairs or parts.

Just was wondering why Winnebago would reduce the outlets for sales if it didn't need to.

I was thinking that they might be starting a new brand to replace Itasca as other manufacturers have done in the pat.

When Ford dropped Mercury and GM dropped Pontiac several of my friends lost their jobs as a result. I didn't know if the RV industry would handle their dealerships the same way.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:25 AM   #4
Rkh

Might be because Winnebago just bought the Country Coach line?
Rkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:29 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

X2 on WBO buying the Country Coach plant in Ore. They also bought all of CC's proprietary technology, and the adjacent property that was another MH plant.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:24 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post
Might be because Winnebago just bought the Country Coach line?
That thought crossed my mind but, if CC has an established dealer network, why would WGO disrupt that by converting Itasca dealers to CC? Itasca dealers know the WGO line. If CC doesn't have a strong dealer network, it might make sense to convert Itasca dealers. Bottom line, this is just more morning exercise: jumping to conclusions.
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:30 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

OH NOOOOO! I've been orphaned! First no more CAT engines and now no more ITASCAS! Whatever shall I do?
capnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:36 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnj View Post
OH NOOOOO! I've been orphaned! First no more CAT engines and now no more ITASCAS! Whatever shall I do?
Buy something else.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:42 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Hopefully with the CC. Influence Quality will improve. IMHO. there are too many models that are duplicated. Is one better than the other? I.E. Winnebago, VS.Itasca.Make one model and do it well.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:50 AM   #10
Rkh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeOts View Post
That thought crossed my mind but, if CC has an established dealer network, why would WGO disrupt that by converting Itasca dealers to CC? Itasca dealers know the WGO line. If CC doesn't have a strong dealer network, it might make sense to convert Itasca dealers. Bottom line, this is just more morning exercise: jumping to conclusions.

CC no longer has an established dealer network that I'm aware of since they went bankrupt in 2011. This may all be part of the equation. WGO is also moving its high end diesel lineup to Junction City to free up capacity in Forrest City.

http://kval.com/news/local/winnebago...ry-coach-brand
Rkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:27 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppopc View Post
Hopefully with the CC. Influence Quality will improve. IMHO. there are too many models that are duplicated. Is one better than the other? I.E. Winnebago, VS.Itasca.Make one model and do it well.
Winnebago/Itasca has always been one model. They both are manufactured on the same lines, they just are given either a Winnebago or an Itasca badge/name at the end of the line. The only differences may be in colors offered and a few different options that may be standard on one model and an option in the other.

The reason Winnebago added the Itasca "badging" was so that they could establish new Itasca dealers without complications from existing Winnebago dealers.

My guess is that Winnebago intends to maintain the Country Coach brand and quality as an entry into the higher-end MH market. Coachmen did this a long time ago with their Sportscoach/Cross Country line. Forest River continues that concept, although I'm not saying that Sportscoach/Cross Country is comparable to CC, it is a similar concept of separating out your high-end line.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:04 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Because of the way that Winnebago has be "squeezing" their dealers in recent years, there are many major markets that no longer have dealers for either brand.

Winnebago is no longer the company that it was say 10 years ago. IMHO, that applies to the quality of the product as well as the company itself. I have proudly owned their products in the past but wouldn't buy one today.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 12:00 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
Because of the way that Winnebago has be "squeezing" their dealers in recent years, there are many major markets that no longer have dealers for either brand.

Winnebago is no longer the company that it was say 10 years ago. IMHO, that applies to the quality of the product as well as the company itself. I have proudly owned their products in the past but wouldn't buy one today.
Everyone has an opinion and I respect yours. I totally agree that no company is what it was ten years ago. ( I too am falling apart.) But in my case I had a Tiffin and was ready to trade to a larger motorhome. Took it to Red Bay for service and after talking to other owners and the people at the factory I took Tiffin off my list and went to Winnebago. IMHO my Winnebago runs circles around my old Tiffin as far as build quality.
Paulandvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 12:25 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
Winnebago/Itasca has always been one model. They both are manufactured on the same lines, they just are given either a Winnebago or an Itasca badge/name at the end of the line. The only differences may be in colors offered and a few different options that may be standard on one model and an option in the other.

The reason Winnebago added the Itasca "badging" was so that they could establish new Itasca dealers without complications from existing Winnebago dealers.

Incorrect.
The Itasca brand came out of the days when Winnebago had an exclusive arrangement with Dodge to provide chassis for their Class A motorhomes. In 1975 The Itasca brand was brought to be using the newly available Chevrolet chassis. They continued that way, Winnebago on Dodge, Itasca on Chev, until 1980 (I think), when Dodge quit the Class A chassis market. By that time, there were already separate dealerships for each brand, and it was just carried forward.
forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 12:56 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest View Post
Incorrect.
The Itasca brand came out of the days when Winnebago had an exclusive arrangement with Dodge to provide chassis for their Class A motorhomes. In 1975 The Itasca brand was brought to be using the newly available Chevrolet chassis. They continued that way, Winnebago on Dodge, Itasca on Chev, until 1980 (I think), when Dodge quit the Class A chassis market. By that time, there were already separate dealerships for each brand, and it was just carried forward.
That's going back further than I have any knowledge of although I have heard bits and pieces of what you say. According to Winnebago's website the Itasca brand was started by Winnebago in 1975 and as you say, both lines were built on the Chevy chassis in 1981.

However, there are newer Itasca dealerships established since 1981 that are able to be located in what is a Winnebago brand area. I purchased our latest MH, an Itasca, from one such dealer.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 07:00 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

My understanding from a dealer is the Itasca dealers will become Winnebago dealers selling Ellipse, Meridian, etc. made by Winnebago.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:01 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulandvicki View Post
Everyone has an opinion and I respect yours. I totally agree that no company is what it was ten years ago. ( I too am falling apart.) But in my case I had a Tiffin and was ready to trade to a larger motorhome. Took it to Red Bay for service and after talking to other owners and the people at the factory I took Tiffin off my list and went to Winnebago. IMHO my Winnebago runs circles around my old Tiffin as far as build quality.
No argument here. 10 years ago I would not buy a Tiffin, I bought a Winnebago. Now I feel that the tables have turned. Next coach is anybodys guess at this point.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:19 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Itasca prototype

Just for fun. Serial #1

~6,000 miles on the odometer
Old 12-06-2015, 08:22 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeOts View Post
Itasca dealers will probably be given a choice to convert to WGO. WGO may even offer them assistance in making that conversion. WGO certainly wouldn't want to lose money making Itasca dealers.
I know of one long - time quite successful Itasca dealer who has been given notice that their relationship w/Winnebago Industries is being terminated. There as a slightly larger Winne dealership less than a mile from them and a new Camping World across town so in spite of consistent high ratings they get the ax. That will likely happen in most locations with similar circumstances.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:59 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

The same with mine. 1 Winnebago + Camping world + 1 Itasca dealer within 10 miles.

They were told about their termination, than had a parts audit and Winn shipped al of the parts back to the factory.

Dealer still has 8 units on the lot.

Tags
dealer, itasca