Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2021, 01:39 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2road View Post
I'm guessing you took the chassis to FL to assess because they built it. Might be a good idea to let Winne look at the rest and let you know what is real and what is not. Replacing A/c's might be overkill if installed units are repairable. ducting is really not difficult, especially for a team that knows how it is run. Once you are sound on the basic stuff, you can look at options for cosmetics.

Best of luck
Yes, we took it to Freighliner to set a baseline for our maintenance records and for assurance that the chassis and driveline were in good working order. I thought the house was in good working order until we spent 4 months in the desert.. LOL.
2014 Honda CRV AWD
KD4XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2021, 04:03 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
remodeling the 2007 vectra

we are taking it to Classic Coach in Ormond Beach Florida. They do everything there (we visited their place when looking to have it remodeled), We are getting rid of the tile and carpet and putting in "wood" floors with a heating system underneath it. having it all repainted, we have a couple of walls that will need replaced because of some water damage (from before we owned it). Some windows with condensation fixed, slide out topper is starting to come out so we will have that replaced, New countertops, new entry way material.
At their showroom, we saw some of the MH that they were working on, and some were totally gutted for different remodels. They do a lot of their own work on site. We did not get new furniture, but they can do that too (but there is a huge delay in furniture right now due to COVID). however they can also reupholster so we ar having our bench in the bedroom redone. We are also getting new sinks. They can upgrade electronics, and basically do anything you need done, 6 week time frame they gave us to complete it. (we are not full timers so that isn't an issue for us). They are also going to take off the front shield material on the front of the motor home which is all cracked and looks bad. putting in a new antenna, and since we are ham radio operators, they are going to wire it for my husband so he can have a portable while on the road (like the CB that used to be there. They have also repaired MH that have had fires and mice damage. They were referred to us by a couple we met while at the Freightliner Oasis in Gaffney SC for a check up, and it just so happened that they had an advertisement on the back of an RV magazine that I was looking at. So far I have been impressed with both the site and the communication between the company sales representative and us. Oh yeah, we are also replacing all the window blinds day/night shades along with the curtains in the front window. sorry this is so disjointed, I am still thinking about what we are having one). One last thing, like I said our ceiling is coming down in the bathroom. They will replace that with new vinyl, and they are upgrading our lights. (We had already replaced all the lights with led bulbs and strips last year ourselves), but now we are having them put in new kitchen ceiling lights to make it more modern. (I did ask them to save the bulbs for me in any they replace as they are expensive and someone else might need some). Call down there or write to them, they can do just about anything (also new appliances). RV Renovations and RV Service | Classic Coach Works. or you can wait til we get ours back and then we can tell you first hand if they are worth it. we take it in at the end of oct and will get it back middle of December,
JudieandRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 04:29 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skykingtcb View Post
I recently sold my 2003 Diplomat with 65k miles, owned for 3 years lots of upgrade repairs including new full body paint. It also ran and drove great. I wanted to replace furniture for comfort.
I started noticing some of the new coach changes such as armless awnings, storage doors swing out instead of up. I don't have to bend to access storage items, 450 hp vs 300.
So we started looking at new coaches and wow they are way more comfortable to drive and camp. No matter I much I upgraded the 03 Diplomat the tech improvements on new coach would never been on it.
I recently bought a 2022 Entegra Aspire 40P. Very impressed. All electric, no propane, dual stage exhaust brake. The tech improvements are over the top in my expectancies. Our first trip i felt like it was more comfortable than my house.
Negatives of new coach is cost and now I have to use DEF. We loved the 03 Diplomat but are very happy with out new Entegra.
Oh man good choice. That's a beauty. I'm Glad Thor let's Entegra do their own thing. I love Entegra.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:57 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD4XR View Post
Yes, I understand, but my health and age prevent me from doing that work. So, its either WBGO factory or a local RV shop. But which will get me the best quality and price.

I should have mentioned a new rig is really not an option.
Hi Jerry,
I have always been a believer in a "jack of all trades master of none" doesn't work and this is more true in the rv industry than anywhere else.

These machines are highly complex so if I cannot fix it which I usually can, albeit with the help of YouTube I use the following
1: Engine = Cummins
2: Chassis = Freightliner
3: Transmission = Allison
4: Coach issues = Newmar. I live in S. FL and have made two trips to the mothership even though I have dealers nearby. I simply have not had enough success with the local dealers. If you want a local dealer, visit them first and pay attention to their employees working on rigs and judge for yourself if you feel they are competent to work on your rig.

With all of that said, preventative maintenance is so important to keep your machine looking and working as it should. Your issues do not appear to me all that difficult and sadly sounds like a lack of maintenance. Every year I recaulk the seams and wax the roof to prevent issues. The rig gets washed regularly and waxed twice a year.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:41 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny-shawna View Post
Hi Jerry,
I have always been a believer in a "jack of all trades master of none" doesn't work and this is more true in the rv industry than anywhere else.

These machines are highly complex so if I cannot fix it which I usually can, albeit with the help of YouTube I use the following
1: Engine = Cummins
2: Chassis = Freightliner
3: Transmission = Allison
4: Coach issues = Newmar. I live in S. FL and have made two trips to the mothership even though I have dealers nearby. I simply have not had enough success with the local dealers. If you want a local dealer, visit them first and pay attention to their employees working on rigs and judge for yourself if you feel they are competent to work on your rig.

With all of that said, preventative maintenance is so important to keep your machine looking and working as it should. Your issues do not appear to me all that difficult and sadly sounds like a lack of maintenance. Every year I recaulk the seams and wax the roof to prevent issues. The rig gets washed regularly and waxed twice a year.
Agree 100%. I learned about improper maintenance with my first MH. I've done a good job with maintenance on this one during the 5 years we've owned it. However, at 70 years old I just can't do the things I used to do. Anything to do with ladders for example.

I clean and inspect the roof every six months and so far no problems with the roof but it is fiberglass and it is 16 years old. When I mentioned "Roof Inspection", I was referring to hairline cracks in the fiberglass sheet. The "Roof Radius" sealant is in good shape. It will need to be resealed after the clear coat is replaced.

There's also a manufacturing defect where the top trailing edge of the front cap separates from mounting hardware because of epoxy bonding failure. In 2006 WBGO had a big problem with bonding painted brackets to body parts. Not sure how WBGO will fix that but it will be done when the Roof Radius is repainted.

The AC ducting that goes up the back of the coach under the rear cap is known to deteriorate over time and results in leaking cold air to the outside. That defect can't be properly inspected and fixed without removing the rear cap. Some have had good success by slightly opening the rear cap but that is not something I want to tackle. WBGO charges $1,500 for the repair which is reasonable.

So, some of the problems I mentioned are indeed maintenance related but others are things that are just broken and need to be repaired by professionals,.

When I made this post I was wrestling with the idea of sinking ~$15k into a 16 year old coach to repair manufacturing, engineering, and wear and tear defects.
KD4XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:15 AM   #34

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Jerry, really comes down to how much longer you wish to RV and what is more palatable; cost of repair verses cost of replacement.

There are no guarantees, but if $15k buys you the duration of your RV experience that is a pretty good investment.
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, air, repair, replace