Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2019, 06:54 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What's this valve - Water pump won't prime

Hi - I'm having problems getting my fresh water pump to prime so I was going to dig into it today but wondered what this shut off valve that has a hose connection on it is.

Also is this valve on the input side of the water pump??

Thanks!
Ben
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pump.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	324.9 KB
ID:	242516  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2019, 07:09 AM   #2

That is a valve to suck RV antifreeze in to your plumbing system. When the valve lever is pointing in line with piping the pump is set to draw water from fresh water tank.
John Lorang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:10 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Winterizing valve.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:16 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lorang View Post
That is a valve to suck RV antifreeze in to your plumbing system. When the valve lever is pointing in line with piping the pump is set to draw water from fresh water tank.
John wins the prize. It is the antifreeze injection valve. Not maybe, not could be, but IS the antifreeze valve. Somewhere in the coach there should be a 2 foot hose with a metal fitting. You remove the cap from the valve and screw the hose on to the valve, turn the selector valve on and insert the hose into a gallon of antifreeze. The antifreeze will be drawn into the water pump and pumped through the system.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:28 AM   #5

Just to be clear, it is on the suction side of the pump.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:36 AM   #6

Make certain that your city water fill valve is closed tight to be able to build pressure in your water system.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:58 AM   #7

If you still have trouble, try opening a faucet and closing it a few times to bleed air out of the system.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:08 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks everyone!! Its good to know what it's for and that its' on the suction side of the pump.

On this model of Journey it also has a Antifreeze siphon hose down in the water bay. Its kinda confusing sometimes. I have two switches above the washer/dyer compartment that one is labeled winterize and the other is bypass. Then I have 2 more T-valves in the water bay for bypass also. These may have been added by previous owner. I've read the electronic ones eventually fail.

I'll try priming it again and open up some faucets to bleed out the air.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelm130 View Post
Thanks everyone!! Its good to know what it's for and that its' on the suction side of the pump.

On this model of Journey it also has a Antifreeze siphon hose down in the water bay. Its kinda confusing sometimes. I have two switches above the washer/dyer compartment that one is labeled winterize and the other is bypass. Then I have 2 more T-valves in the water bay for bypass also. These may have been added by previous owner. I've read the electronic ones eventually fail.

I'll try priming it again and open up some faucets to bleed out the air.
The pump is self-priming, but you need to have a faucet open, otherwise the pump is trying to compress air and cannot make a suction.
I too have those switches for water heater bypass and winterizing. You may have a 2 G plastic tank in that same bay; fill it with RV anti-freeze when preparing to winterize.(If you do not have this 2G tank, use that valve and a 5G pail, otherswise follow these directions):https://winnebagoind.com/resources/s...interizing.pdf
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelm130 View Post
Hi - I'm having problems getting my fresh water pump to prime so I was going to dig into it today but wondered what this shut off valve that has a hose connection on it is.

Also is this valve on the input side of the water pump??

Thanks!
Ben

The info that you have been given by others regarding priming and the valve is correct. I thought I would mention that if you can’t get it to pick up water you may have a bad pump. They do go bad. Over the years I have went through several, at least one or more in each of the eight RV’s I have owned. Also a lot of pumps have an in-line pre-filter that typically is a removable screen cleanable inside of a circular clear plastic screw on cover. Fairly simple to remove and clean. If something happens to have got into your tank it can clog this filter and prevent the pump from sucking water out of the tank.
I am assuming your tank is full or close to it? You can also remove the line feeding the pump from the tank to see if water is getting to the pump, if this all checks out and your pump is running your pump has most likely failed. Start with the simplest option and work your way to the filter and line feeding the pump. By the way if you have this filter it is good to clean at the beginning of each season. Good luck and hope this helps.

Tags
valve, water, water pump