Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2020, 06:59 PM   #113

Stoner Thoughts

This morning I woke up wondering why there are so many people chucking wood on a few simple observations about a toilet, which I don't think most of us, maybe all of us, were aware of until now:

* A $250, porcelain, residential toilet, that is 24" deep, and 16" high, is now available at Home Depot. Plus it LOOKS GREAT!

So I started to gather more information and reviewed the Sublime II spec's and think: "Hey, maybe this Sublime II toilet will work in my RV?'

...Which would be great in the event my Concerto toilet failed when I was traveling on the road?

* And the conclusion a this point is this: We will not know if a Sublime II toilet will work in an RV until I, or someone else on this forum, decides to install it or in the very least conduct a "test case."

Consequently, until this happens, then everything you hear and read is just "noise." ...Including my hope that it will work!

What kind of "test case?" I proposed the simple idea of just placing the toilet on the floor of the bathroom, on a towel, without hooking it up to a water source, which is non-destructive. ...Then go for a drive. ...Then we would either know if the Sublime II works or it doesn't?

I thought I would share this information with our community so they know a 24" deep toilet is now available at HD for only $250 vs. the cost of installing a Concerto for $1000+ (just for the toilet). Not to mention the burden of trying to fix a Concerto toilet when parts are so hard to come by and are expensive.

"NielV" says you should be concerned about "proprietary parts," but this is not true. The Sublime II flush valve is a newer style "canister" type flush valve and it's available everywhere... for cheap.

Further, if you look at the top of the Sublime II canister flush value you will it is no different than a Kolher model with "split-buttons."

Specifically, those hard, center tank plungers, activate your choice of flush modes. The split button on the left is 0.8 gal/flush and one on the right for 1.2gal/flush. So that is nice. It's simple. And it's reliable.

The parts are cheap and widely available too:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Subl...h=535&dpr=1.75

==>> And look! Thanks to this banter, we now see some vendors are trying to dump the Sublime II is $115 on Ebay. Albeit I bet there is probably an expensive shipping fee. So you need to investigate your purchase and return options. That's why HD maybe your best bet for $250... if the toilet works well installed in an RV? (TBD)

The Sublime II clearly looks good! ...And call me a Willie fan, who likes to smoke pot (both which are not true), but every once in a while you really should give a "stoner thought" a second look. And I think this idea, of installing a residential toilet, in an RV, is one of those times!

My complaints with the feedback (and general concerns when dealing with the John Q.) have to do with people who like to chuck wood and then use false claims to make their case. This "tactic" is annoying and do nothing to help prove or disprove a good idea. And IMO, this "group think" of the worse persuasive kind. [Mod Edit]

For example: Proprietary toilet seats might be a buy-concern, butt my toilet seat lasts 10-15 years. And I'm a heavy a "fatty!" So, at this stage in the game, I certainly think I will expire before the Sublime II seat brakes.

...But even if it does break, you can repair the rear the seat hinges, and you can re-use the seat. I just did this to my Concerto proprietary seat by keeping the seat and buying a $25 new toilet seat at HD. And all I did was remove the hardware and hinge and then screw it to my Concerto seat... and wallah... "back in business!"

Therefore, rhetoric like a proprietary seat is not a "go or no go" buy decision. And neither is the canister flush valve; which for the record is NOT a pressure assisted valve.

IMO, installing the Sublime II comes down to A) installation; and B) toilet p-trap / air gap functionality, which is only a factor when you drive.

Good news regarding installation: If you look at the Sublime II pictures there are 2 holes in the base of the toilet, so anchoring the toilet to the floor might be real easy if you can add a few 4" bolts that can be tightened from under your basement. (TBD) Anyway, I'm optimistic the installation of this toilet can be managed and may be a "drop-in" replacement to the Concerto. (TBD)

What I do believe, is that this 1-piece, Sublime II toilet, is the first toilet to EVER come along that may work in an RV? So why are all Naysayers chucking wood at a good idea? Answer: I think it has to do with "Human Nature!"

So yes... I think this post is entertaining or boring or insulting. It all depends on your nature and attitudes. But, surely, you can admit the Joey and Woodchuck commercials are funny? ...And the shoe does seem to fit! ...But the primary purpose of sharing this information with you, about the Sublime II toilet, is call to your attention to an alternative vs. servicing the Concerto toilet; and/or to give you an upgrade toilet option to a plastic RV toilet, that only costs $250 and a little ingenuity.

On the flip side, "Richard5933" is right, because I did beg the question: " Why can't I install a residential toilet?

Dog...

...It was a rhetorical question! ...But I can see why some of you took it literally.

So to all who feel I may have insulted you, please accept my apologies and "unsubscribe" from this thread.

As for the rest of us who hope the time has come, when we can now install a residential toilet for less than a plastic toilet, and make our partner's happy-happy, let's see what happens. Right now I'm 90% confident a residential toilet will work for my needs; and I may just remove my working Concerto and install a Sublime II this summer instead of waiting for my Concerto to break, which it will, and at the worst time.

Anyway, don't pick up my RV until this summer, which is when I will have time to work on it, because I live 4,000 miles away! So you'll have to wait a while if you expect me to give you a thumbs-up or down on this whole Sublime II toilet idea. Until then, to all, especially you Naysayers, I hope enjoy this:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sublime II Picture.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	273435   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sublime II Picture 1.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	273436  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1 P-Trap Like Toilet.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	273446   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sublime II Back 2.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	273447  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2020, 08:33 PM   #114

Imnprsd, this is unrelated to toilets. I need to contact you about recent posts concerning the FASS upgrade. I would like to discuss this process and have a few questions you didn’t cover. My cell is 501-412-6090, you can call me or you can text your number to me and I’ll call you at a time that’s convenient for you. I’m in central Arkansas so we are in same time zone. I thank you in advance for any assistance so I can begin my upgrade on my 2000 DSDP.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:42 PM   #115

Arkansas_RV: NP. I will give you a call.

Before I do, please read my other posts on this FASS TS Fuel Pumps, and why we upgraded; and also be sure to look for the thread and testimonial on installing an Ag Diesel #12100 EMC Power Module if you are interested in adding 20% more HP and 15% more torque (safely) for $700.

To do this, just mouse over my username "imnprsd" on the left side and then "Left-Click" your mouse button. This will bring up the option to see all my posts; and you will see the option to send me a private message.

This way you don't have to "blast" your phone number on the internet by post it in a thread.

I will be glad to tell you what I know, but before we talk you really, really need to read my other articles first!
Old 01-28-2020, 12:19 AM   #116

Alpine Owners Club
Wow, 116 posts about toilets and not one mention of a heated seat?
Now that would score some serious points with my DW. Plastic or porcelain, who cares as long as it saves me a trip to the public john.
Can we move on to more important things like heated seats and who has the best entertainment system in their "head". I thought adding a coffee cup shelf by the throne was a big deal, boy was I mistaken. Lol
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Old 01-28-2020, 10:51 AM   #117

lets move on

This discussion about toilets has taken more time the the Trump Impeachment talks. If you have a diesel pusher,my guess is you have the money to buy any toilet you want. If it fails go to plan -b-c-d-e-f ???. There seems to be a lot of discussion covering a use of an item for 4-5 visits covering maybe 1 hour a day.
Lets move on to something important like bee's in my furnace outlet, Wind shield washers that spray over the coach, dust on top of the TV, Will house hold dish washing soap work in my tear drop trailer or my 43ft. Whiz Bang Gidget Mobile. All these other items need our attention so let move from toilets to?????
Old 01-28-2020, 02:06 PM   #118
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Thread Warning!

Thread Warning!

We have had to edit and remove some threads. Lets keep the conversation civil and on topic.

Also keep this rule in mind.
"Do not take every opportunity to express your disagreement, incite argument, insult each other, or fan flames. Voice your opinion respectfully and then let it go."

Steve as Site Staff
Old 01-28-2020, 05:29 PM   #119

FWIW, I spoke to a friend who has a residential p-trap toilet in his RV. I asked him if he had any problems with it.

He said it was great, it made his bathroom feel more homey and higher quality, he'd never had a problem winterizing, but he had encountered one issue:

Ever been riding in a vehicle when someone opened a window and felt your ears pop, because of a drop in air pressure due to suction?

He told me that, several times, when this had happened, funky-smelling air would bubble up out of the toilet from below. (He actually saw the bubbling.) He said that cracking open a rear bedroom window at speed would sometimes cause this.

Aside from that, he said the big heavy res toilet was a great choice.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Old 01-28-2020, 06:11 PM   #120

Winnebago Owners Club
LOL 118 posts about something that holds [Moderator Edit] I say put it in and report back to us on how the project turns out.

Old 01-28-2020, 09:28 PM   #121

Highly entertaining thread. OP you have a grate sense of humor. Keep it up!
Don't let the woodchucks get you down.
Seems like not all of the water would slosh out of the bowl so there could still be enough in there to seal off the tank odors.
Hey, I'm a guy, I like toilet humor.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:17 AM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
... Now I ask you: After you watch these videos, can you honestly tell me, and the rest of the people on this forum, that you would rather be sitting (down low) on a plastic RV toilet vs. parking-it on a more comfortable, china bowl residential toilet for $250 + misc...
As others have already pointed out, there are more than a few companies making porcelain toilets with the higher height. They sit exactly the same as a residential model. No sloshing, no plastic bowls, no conversion problems.

At this point it seems that you are more interested in just creating an argument. Not sure why you came here asking for others to provide input, only to start using mocking nick-names for those that don't agree with you.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
Old 01-29-2020, 07:02 AM   #123

imnprsd - Have you found a source nation wide that has the parts required to service that Swiss Madison toilet available at most local hardware or RV stores in the US?

The Google link you provided only showed mostly mail order sources for the parts which does not fit at all with your stated purpose for considering this: "Why? Well, because I can't do without a toilet when I'm on the road and I have no mailing address to receive parts."

I went into the two largest suppliers in the area and neither had a flush valve or any type or common part/repair kit on the shelf or even available for the next day as an option. Home Depot for example while they list some of them that are possibly compatible from Danco or FluidMaster they are special order with a weeks delivery time and not a stock item that they carry on the shelf at any of their stores for 100 miles around Tampa Florida.

A conventional comfort height RV toilet such as my 20 year old and very reliable SeaLand Traveler Pedal Flush China Toilet instead of a specialized home or specialized Electric RV toilet will still be your best choice.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:00 AM   #124
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
This thread is closed.

Thanks to those who posted within the Community Rules
Closed Thread

Tags
toilet, install