Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2020, 11:21 AM   #29

I disagree--you can never know too much about a toilet....
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2020, 12:36 PM   #30

I think the reason most people don’t swap out their RV toilet for a residential is they can’t figure out why in the world would I do that? I pee a lot more than I poop so having a nice place to sit is of no value for that purpose. The DW may differ. When I do poop I’m not really worried about the seat mainly cause I don’t plan on reading The Times while there. Now a nice heated seat could get my attention.

Having a traditional RV toilet allows me control over how much or how little water to use per flush. Not so much with a residential.

It seems having a residential toilet is important to you, you’ve convinced yourself it’s a good idea, you have figured out how to to it, so go do it and then report back how it went.

Make sure you buy a plunger as you’ll most likely need one.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
Old 01-16-2020, 01:06 PM   #31

Why do this? I put one in for an older friend who just wanted "a d*mned good-old-fashioned heavy American ceramic toilet!" Why not?

Winterizing? It's just a big glorified p-trap. Drain the upper tank, pour a quart of antifreeze into the bowl.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Old 01-16-2020, 02:14 PM   #32

Talking

The compact Whirlpool washer and dryer in our Motorhome have such limited capacity, got me thinking now, why not install full size residential ones?

ROFL
Old 01-16-2020, 03:05 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
...I think we flush about 40x over a 3-4 day period. That's 6 flushes per day...
Your math is in error.

40 / 3 days = 14.3 flushes per day.

40 / 4 days = 10 flushes per day.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:19 PM   #34

IMNPRSD, go for it! Remember the inventer of WD 40, found 39 formulas that didn't work first.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 01-16-2020, 10:38 PM   #35

I agree. The only way to prove you can now install a residential toilet in your DP is to just do it, because it's time for a field study on the subject.

To review, I have tried my best to explain that there is only 1 residential toilet available on the market (that I know of) that is 24" deep. (Not tons.)

And fortunately this particular toilet has a 0.8Gal/flush plus a 1.2Gal/flush option. I also think I can adjust this toilet to 0.5 gal/flush or just 4-pints/flush. (TBD)

And as for all those other common residential toilets you naysayers are talking about, these are not suitable for an RV application, because they are too big and use 1.6g/flush or more. And this is why residential toilets were never used in an RV, but those days will soon be over.

Now let's say I do install one of these toilets and report favorable results. I bet then you naysayser types will then accuse me of working for the toilet bowl manufacture.

You know what? I think most of you remind me of this commercial by Spectrum. So I hope you watch it and smile... if that is possible? I love this commercial...

I'm going to sign off until this summer. And if I decide to install a Sublime II toilet in my RV, maybe I will explain how I did it and maybe I won't. After all, it's just a toilet, and I wouldn't want to spoil you to much!

But just for grins, why don't you men ask your wife if they would prefer a full size, residential toilet in the RV? Maybe I'm appealing to the wrong end here?

And just to prove I am a nice guy, here's another tip for all you Cummins ISC/ISL owners: You should find my threads on installing a FASS TS Fuel Pump, because that little tip could save you thousand in repair bills and keep you running more reliably on the road. And if you are CAPS injection pump owner you really need to find this thread and understand it!

Over and out!
Old 01-16-2020, 11:00 PM   #36

"Maybe I'm appealing to the wrong end here?"

Intentional pun, I hope.

Old 01-18-2020, 01:33 AM   #37

Definitely. I could have said, "Better Half," but I meant "wrong end."

This thread is meant to be entertaining if not informative.

I get the whole nostalgia thing. Animal... I mean human... behavior is not unique. The pack is a pack. You just have to look to Maslow see where people are coming from and from there you can get pretty much get an idea about one's nature.

I refuse to give up on helping people... even when they don't want to be helped. What irks me is when people are compelled to reply just to interfere.

This does not include those who sincerely want to learn. ...but I'm still shaking my head over some who think it is hard to winterize a residential toilet. Maybe they were just being helpful and want to remind me to winterize; and their intentions were to contribute to the post? (What are the odds I wonder? Better than a Hard-10? Maybe. Maybe not. I've said too much already.

...Catch you all next summer, but should anyone care to follow my lead, and install a Sublime II toilet in their DP, before I have a chance to install one of these throwns in my DP, please let us know how your project works out?
Old 01-18-2020, 11:45 AM   #38
Commercial Member

i say "go for it!" there were those who said copernicus was a heretic too.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:27 PM   #39

Well
Please explain the issue with winterizing?
Thousands of summer cottages & homes are winterized every fall .
Our cottage on lake Erie was easily winterized every fall. With two full bathrooms containing residential toilets.
Turn the water off at the meter.
Flush the toilet
Unhook the water line conected at the toilet so the remaining water drains back down to the low point drain.
Pour a quart of antifreeze in the mostley empty tank.
Flush toilet again.
Pour a cup of antifreeze into the tank.
And pour a cup in the bowl just for a feel good reason.

Done
The two toilets were like new every spring for the 40 years we owned the cottage.

Just as easy , or easier in a motor home.

I find that if directions are not in the rv manual?
Its not possible

For some to think for themselves is becoming very rare.

To think out of the box is only for problem solvers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
There are many RV china bowl full high RV toilets on the market. Forget about Gal per flush. You can pee and flush with a cup of water with an RV toilet. Don't know why your trying to reinvent the wheel. IF you put one in, good luck winterizing it. RV toilet parts are as easy to find as Walmart's.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:19 PM   #40

Quote:
What irks me is when people are compelled to reply just to interfere.
Sure, but there is value in Devil's Advocates who raise point after point in objection. We all get to see how those objections can be explicitly refuted. That way, we're informed, and not just accepting.

Heck, I didn't even know there were objections to a res toilet in an RV until you posted this thread. I've done it, and I'd do it again, but now I can see some areas of the installation to which I ought to pay more attention.

And wouldn't it all be boring if the only replies we ever saw said "great idea!", "way to go!", "brilliant!"?

Old 01-18-2020, 05:45 PM   #41

Quote:
It would appear that many on this forum will have a strong opinions about this subject. Maybe this is why a toilet has been dubbed a "thrown." I.e., the "haves" vs. "have-nots!"

"Throne and thrown are two words that are pronounced in the same fashion but are spelled differently and have different meanings, which makes them homophones. We will examine the definitions of throne and thrown, where these words came from and some examples of their use in sentences.

A throne is a formal chair that only a sovereign or bishop may sit in. The word throne may be used literally or figuratively, to mean sovereign power. It is derived from the thirteenth century word trone, which means seat of God or the seat of a saint in heaven, taken from the Greek word thronos which means elevated seat.

Thrown is the past tense of the word throw, which means to toss something or propel it through the air by use of one’s hand and arm. Thrown may be used literally or figuratively, to mean the sudden transference of something. Related words are throws and throwing. The term comes from the Old English word þrawan, which means to curl, twist or turn."

https://grammarist.com/homophones/throne-vs-thrown/

Sorry, I had to.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:31 AM   #42

BobbyF: Agreed. ...Just being entertaining. ...What? ...Am I the only one who can't joke around?

WyCamper: Most appreciated.

And I do believe... there are no stupid question! ...But how many of those did you count?

As I said, "What irks me is/are when people are compelled to reply just to interfere."

In this case, I don't know if a NEWER style residential toilet (24" deep) with 0.8 flush will work? ...But at least we know now that it should fit!

I would look at the option of pumping PEX behind the wall, with a 1/4 turn Sharkbite angle valve, mounted higher up so I don't have to bend over to turn it on/off.

And just to clear, I don't like throwing money at my RV. That why I also said that if I was faced with a choice of repairing that expensive (RV) Concerto toilet or buying a Sublime II for $250, that I would go that route.

Don't get me wrong, the Concerto toilet is a very good, comfortable toilet. ...One of the best available for an RV, but to repair it is a pain, it takes time to get parts, that is if you can find them, and the idea of spending $200-$500 to repair the Concerto seems foolish when a 24" deep residential toilet is available for the same price or less at HD and on Amazon.

On the flip side, if I did have a plastic RV toilet in my RV, then I would be heading off to Home Depot tomorrow to pick up the Sublime II. And if it didn't work out, then I can always return it to HD.

Ah Joey! ...It's going to be juicy!
Closed Thread

Tags
toilet, install