Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2020, 12:23 PM   #43

I find it strange that your rv has a bigger black tank than gray. That is not common for sure. It must have something else plumbed into it. Im not saying this is a deal breaker for your toilet project, but its good to be informed about what is going into what tank for monitoring purposes. I have owned several rvs, travelled in others, and have looked at many shopping for used rvs. I have not seen one that had a bigger black tank than the gray one. That's not to say yours does not, but it surely isn't common to be set up that way. Most water is consumed with showers and dish washing in my experience. That doesn't account for using laundry machines when not hooked to services. You wouldn't get many loads before you were full on the tanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2020, 10:49 PM   #44

Winniman: "I find it strange that your rv has a bigger black tank than gray. That is not common for sure."

Answer: All I can say is that I took my numbers off the 2004 Itasca Broshure; and as you can see it clearly states all models in 2004 have a bigger black water vs gray water tank. ...But maybe they got it backwards?

See for yourself in the pictures below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2004 ITASCA HORIZON 40AD FACTORY BROSHURE Specs 1a (jpg).JPG
Views:	34
Size:	499.1 KB
ID:	272918   Click image for larger version

Name:	2004 ITASCA HORIZON 40AD FACTORY BROSHURE Specs 1b (jpg).JPG
Views:	31
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	272919  

Old 01-23-2020, 02:59 PM   #45

Of course I don’t know your specifics but why did you but something you don’t like and pay that much money for it, I’m sure there must’ve been more options that cost less to meet your needs. End of conversation!
Old 01-23-2020, 03:01 PM   #46

This is my suggestion and it would be non electric. Just a simple foot activated valve and wash wand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
There are many RV china bowl full high RV toilets on the market. Forget about Gal per flush. You can pee and flush with a cup of water with an RV toilet. Don't know why your trying to reinvent the wheel. IF you put one in, good luck winterizing it. RV toilet parts are as easy to find as Walmart's.

Pushed by a KITTY KAT
Old 01-23-2020, 03:13 PM   #47

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
One of the reasons that I picked my Tiffin, is that it had a "real" China Toilet. Hasn't taken much maintenance, and I do like the look and "feel" of it.

If you are really concerned about the [Mod Edit] breaking and going out of service, buy a repair kit and store it on your rig. If you have the parts, it's not that difficult to repair (and there really aren't that many parts).

I am intrigued as to the prospect of a residential toilet, but the water usage that is required to push the waste past the toilet trap is significantly greater than that of any RV toilet (which dumps directly into a tank). That is probably the reason that you don't see this design in an RV.

Water management (both in fresh and waste tank sizes) are always a challenge when designing and building RV's. Installing a toilet that will use 2x-4x as much water and waste can really impact the usefulness of the RV
Old 01-23-2020, 03:22 PM   #48

The earliest citation of throne meaning toilet is from James Joyce's Ulysses: "With beaded mitre and with crozier, stalled upon his throne, widower of a widowed see, with upstiffed omophorion, with clotted hinderparts."
Old 01-23-2020, 03:29 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Use the KISS principle. Keep It Simple Stupid. Just install a good grade of a foot pedal flush RV Toilet. I see too many negatives to a residential toilet. Too much water usage, Too much chance to slosh water.

Ken
I AGREE TOTALLY. Steve
Old 01-23-2020, 03:38 PM   #50

Why can’t I install a residential toilet

I would think the biggest reason that it’s not happening yet is because Thetford and Dometic would cry foul as they went belly up.

It’s been done in many remodels especially those that remain stationary for the most part.

Good luck
Old 01-23-2020, 03:41 PM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
Domestic 320

A Dometic 320 is a great choice and fits the waste pipe set back, same seat height as a home unit, ceramic bowl and low water usage. Sounds like you like your choice but keeping it simple always works best. Same price as your current choice and available everywhere. Wait for yours to fail and get the dometic at that time.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:45 PM   #52

If you want to keep a ceramic toilet you can buy ceramic RV toilets.
Problem solved
Old 01-23-2020, 03:56 PM   #53

I would guess, if your always hooked up verses boondocking, it shouldn't really matter. Since the newer toilets use less water, and if your driving shut off valve then flush it, and most of water would be gone.ans the toilet has it's own p trap which will hold that small amount of water, so back smell wouldn't be an issue. Just not sure if the drain is the same size for rv toilet verses residential one, wouldn't think so.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:03 PM   #54

Yup, sounds as if your mind is made up on your first question (“...why couldn’t I...”), and in terms of your second question (“...would [we]...?”), the answer is no. No need, no desire, no motivation. So, go for it! Just please don’t feel the need to convince the rest here to validate your decision.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:18 PM   #55

Residential toilet

It’s an idea that has been kicked and kicked for years.
To the curb that is
All the big kids would have done it already.
It really does not work in a RV.
Very old topic. Just do it!
Old 01-23-2020, 04:22 PM   #56

Your thinking about one of the potential problems may be backwards. You rightly aren't concerned about the water sloshing out of the top of the bowl while travelling, but the water in the p trap beneath the toilet bowl may leak out the bottom of the p trap into the waste tank from the travel motion, thus leaving an open air channel from the black tank through the p trap into the rv interior, exposing you to all the fowl odors of the black tank. An rv style toilet bowl, with a small amount of water on top of the spring loaded seal prevents this from happening. Even an rv style toilet with no water on top of the closed seal can allow odors to enter. Not worth the $250 & 10 hours of adapting an installation to find out it doesn't work. I have experienced the smells of my grey tank because the p trap in my sink lost it's water seal from a day of lengthy travel motion.
Closed Thread

Tags
toilet, install