Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-20-2013, 08:13 PM   #21
Winnebago Watcher

What about the truck driver (steering wheel holder) that thinks he can go faster than the truck in front of him.
Then we get to go down the road for what seems like miles until either one or the other gives up and pulls back in or backs down.
I, personally, have had no problems with truckers and show them as much respect as they show me.

Mike
Old 07-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #22
Winnebago Watcher

U2Pilot You asked a question , and you got a answer . And he closed his door and rolled off because he had to be some place .
Old 07-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

I'm not sure why we should care what truckers think of us. Stay out of their way, exhibit some common courtesy, and drive defensively. Beyond that, there isn't much we can do. I'm certainly not going to give up my motorhome because some guy is jealous.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #24
Winnie-Wise

We were nearing Cape Cod one summer, and I happened to be monitoring the CB, when I heard in a great Boston accent: "Hey Delawa Ahh Vee, this is low boy 18 wheela". I came back to him, and said:"sir, how can I help you?".

He simply replied: "I like yuh campa".

I thanked him, and said it is great fun, and hoped he'd get one some day, and enjoy it as we do".
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:59 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

I remember a number of years ago we got on I-5 and drafted off a big rig for about 200 miles. He drove the speeds and made the lane decisions I would have were I in the lead. When he exited in Sacramento he rolled down his window and waved as we continued on the freeway. It's like we became friends without every exchanging a word.
Keith
Old 07-20-2013, 09:08 PM   #26
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppatello View Post
I just traveled with my wife from Delaware to WV last night and towing with a truck I have I was right in the same lane as the truckers. They were very nice and respectful. I flashed my lights a few times to let a trucker in and got a response everytime. Even talked to a few @ a rest stop here and there along the way. I didn't see any of that attitude that you folks are saying. However, I do see how some MH folks drive and I can say they shouldn't be on the road. I would agree that there should be some type of safety course needed to take in order pull a trailer over a certain length or MH. I mean most states require some type of class to obtain your motorcycle license, gun permits or hunting permits...
The last thing we need are more rules, more licenses , more permits !
The real problem is RV'ers that are trying to get 9.5 mpg so they drive at 57.76 mph and are a real PIA. There are plenty of threads on irv2 that talk about speeds traveled and why 61.2 is much safer than 62.5. All of which are under the flow of traffic .
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:35 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

The real problem is RV'ers that are trying to get 9.5 mpg so they drive at 57.76 mph and are a real PIA. There are plenty of threads on irv2 that talk about speeds traveled and why 61.2 is much safer than 62.5. All of which are under the flow of traffic .

Some toads, like mine, are limited to 65 MPH.

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
dlovitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:52 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

One other observation: The truth of the matter is, most truck drivers are "loaners". And the job itself is not conducive to some one who is highly social and out going. I can't imagine the thought of pushing down the road for endless hours, day after day, week after week, year after year. How boring! And guess what you get to do next week, next year. The same grind I would go crazy.

Not to say, most are really nice guys .....but they have to be content with limited social interaction.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

I have found truckers much more road savvy than your average car commuter.

I don't draft but I find myself slipping behind a trucker now and then and duplicating the pace. It works just fine. I watch particularly in congested areas and learn from truckers about lanes to travel and how to handle the merge zones.

I respect them and clear the road when they are behind and moving up, I have learned by watching how to handle hills to anticipate and not get bogged down behind other vehicles.

I have traveled the length of California hovering near the towing limit of 55 mph and to my knowledge have not raised the ire of fellow truckers. But I watch my mirrors and anticipate much like they do.

All in all I can say my traveling experiences have been cordial with truckers.

Motor cycles and people who have not mastered the art of merging is another matter, and they seem to drive less encumbered vehicles.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:22 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

It doesn't help that posted speed limits don't mean much to anyone. Speed on the interstate says trucks max. 60 mph. To partly conserve fuel and partly to stay under the 65 mph max. on ST tires, I try and drive at 60 - 62 mph (on cruise control), as many other trailer owners do. But it seems like all trucks ignore the 60 limit and go flying past you. It would help if limits meant something, but they never will. Sigh... So if a trucker passes me well over 60, should I give him a dirty look or the one finger salute?
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:31 PM   #31
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlovitt View Post

Some toads, like mine, are limited to 65 MPH.
So is mine, I just don't tell it how fast we are going ! It seems to be able to keep up !
Old 07-20-2013, 10:51 PM   #32
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
It doesn't help that posted speed limits don't mean much to anyone. Speed on the interstate says trucks max. 60 mph. To partly conserve fuel and partly to stay under the 65 mph max. on ST tires, I try and drive at 60 - 62 mph (on cruise control), as many other trailer owners do. But it seems like all trucks ignore the 60 limit and go flying past you. It would help if limits meant something, but they never will. Sigh... So if a trucker passes me well over 60, should I give him a dirty look or the one finger salute?
I'm sure they appreciate the salute, although most interstates in the west are 70 to 80 except for California which is 55 for trucks and vehicles that are towing. It's not for safety, it's for revenue ! The interesting thing in Texas with the 80 mph limit is that very few travel at that speed. Most run at 70 to 75 mph .
Old 07-20-2013, 11:16 PM   #33
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
For a quick insight as to what the truck driver was talking about, just take highway #1 down to Key West. You get behind a mile long line and in front is someone out for a relaxing cruise. Paying no attention to the long line behind him and the clear road ahead of him.
That would make the Pope crazy by the time he got to Key West!!
This type of behavior aggravates e to no end whether I'm driving the coach or my car.

I have always thought a good PSA would be "if you can't see the car in front of you and there are 5 or more cars riding your bumper, you're the problem and you need to rethink your driving strategy" Post this on every 3rd or 4th billboard along the highway.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:25 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
"if you can't see the car in front of you and there are 5 or more cars riding your bumper, you're the problem and you need to rethink your driving strategy" Post this on every 3rd or 4th billboard along the highway.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:47 PM   #35
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
I'm sure they appreciate the salute, although most interstates in the west are 70 to 80 except for California which is 55 for trucks and vehicles that are towing. It's not for safety, it's for revenue ! The interesting thing in Texas with the 80 mph limit is that very few travel at that speed. Most run at 70 to 75 mph .
The interstate varies all over, but in Wa. State the truck limit is 60. I see that it's 75 in some states. That'd be quite a conflict with many RV-ers. Not much you can do is there?

http://www.ghsa.org/html/stateinfo/l...imit_laws.html

I don't see where the legal limit for cars or trucks is more than 75 mph on any interstate. Washington is among the few states that has a car limit 10 mph higher than trucks. But do trucks ever get stopped for driving at or just over the posted limit for cars?

Somehow I can't imagine driving on a freeway where the trucks are going 80 mph and your RV isn't going to go that fast or anywhere near it. No wonder truckers would be angry.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:49 PM   #36
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
"if you can't see the car in front of you and there are 5 or more cars riding your bumper, you're the problem and you need to rethink your driving strategy" Post this on every 3rd or 4th billboard along the highway.
The State of Washington's way ahead of the game, I guess- you'll see signs like this all over the State.

Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:06 AM   #37
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
The State of Washington's way ahead of the game, I guess- you'll see signs like this all over the State.

We have the same signage in AK, don't think anyone reads them though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #38
Winnebago Master

Strange thing on the highway I have encountered some very rude and unsafe truck drivers, (especiall tailgators), or lane hogs on long hill climbs. Conversely I have talked ot a lot truckers at rest stops and they are very friendly. The ask a lot questions about RV'g, usually say that some day they hope to do the same thing. It appears that Big HP makes devils out of nice guys. Finally I never run up against a nasty female truck driver.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #39
Winnebago Camper

I routinely flash my lights to let the truckers know they can come over. About a third of them thank me. I have only passed a few trucks, but have not had any of them flash me to let me know to come on over.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #40
Winnebago Owner

I wonder; why the number of truckers who own RV's would be any different than any other part of the population?

It seems to me there is no more animus from truckers than you get from any other driver.No one likes an RV in front of them no matter the speed. A lot seems to depend on exactly what is going on at the time rather than a protracted disenchantment.

Or as POGO would say "we have met the enemy and he is us".
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote