Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2021, 12:04 PM   #1

Windshield frame rot

Has anyone have there windshield replaced and find the windshield frame rotted thru. we bought this rig in June of 21 with a cracked right side windshield. now that we had it removed for replacement the new windshield can not go back in do to major rot issues on both side. My question is dose any one know how to take the nose off and also how to re move the dashboard. i also my have to remove the top fiberglass cap. Any help would be great thanks to all who repliy

pint53
pint53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2021, 12:32 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Welcome to the Forum. Here’s a link to some previous threads regarding this issue. I had an 01 Chieftain and experienced a little rust.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Winn...earch=irv2.com

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 01:44 PM   #3

We had a 2007 Suncruiser that also experienced this. I think it’s a known issue with certain years of Winnebago products.
Old 12-26-2021, 07:10 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
This is a pretty educational video IMHO. Worth your time to view, for sure. It should give you a good idea of what is needed to prevent recurrence of the problem after you have the frame reworked.

Good luck with the fix. Hope you have lots of good times and safe travels once this is behind you.

youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 07:34 PM   #5

Thanks for the info my rust issue is severe I have to remove the nose of rv to rebuild the steal frame.
This picture shows the worst part. Thank god I’m able to fix this my self
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A3701C92-6C4F-42B7-A281-D5098B50DC33.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	253.5 KB
ID:	352386  
Old 12-28-2021, 08:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by youracman View Post
This is a pretty educational video IMHO. Worth your time to view, for sure. It should give you a good idea of what is needed to prevent recurrence of the problem after you have the frame reworked.

Good luck with the fix. Hope you have lots of good times and safe travels once this is behind you.

Great video - this explains why I have been having rusty blackish metal flakes falling on my dashboard. After the first couple times cleaning it up, I took the interior plastic covers off and found the interior surface of the metal superstructure with rust. I cleaned and primed the interior of the metal with Rustoleum, and recaulked around the windshield. Hopefully it is keeping more water from getting in, but doubtful based on the explanation in the video. Basically there is no fix without a complete windshield R/R. Thanks Winnebago.
Old 12-28-2021, 12:46 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I had the same clearance light issue with our '06 Itasca. The paper gaskets had deteriorated to the point they were useless. Pulling the lights off and resealing under them cleared up the rainwater problem.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 03:40 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pint53 View Post
Has anyone have there windshield replaced and find the windshield frame rotted thru. we bought this rig in June of 21 with a cracked right side windshield. now that we had it removed for replacement the new windshield can not go back in do to major rot issues on both side. My question is dose any one know how to take the nose off and also how to re move the dashboard. i also my have to remove the top fiberglass cap. Any help would be great thanks to all who repliy

pint53
I wish I could help, but I have no idea exactly what year and model you are talking about here.
If yo would be so kind as to fill out your Signature with your information it would really help.
Oh, yeah, Have Happy New Year
Old 12-29-2021, 09:47 PM   #9

Yep,
It would be nice to know the make/model/chassis/engine etc. so that there may be someone with the EXACT same unit that has been repaired and therefore, could give you some advise.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 05:29 AM   #10

My Winnie is a 2000 chieftain on F53 ford chassis with a v10
Quick up date I h a the front nose off it was actually very easy a bunch of screws and 4 bolts
Old 01-04-2022, 06:42 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have had this problem and repaired the holes by using gorilla two part like jb weld and aluminum backer plates cut to fit on the inside. Get a floppy disk grinder about 220 grit and clean off as much rust a possible after removing the adhesive. I also had to make 8 inch plate and a piece of angle iron to replace the window perches, I also used metal kleen strip prep and etch phosphoric acid to treat all the metal surface. it helps to covert the rust and prep the surface. they replaced both my window.s
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210929_121830.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	352991   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210929_143225.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	352992  

Name:	20210929_165501.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	352993   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210929_185508.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	352994  

Name:	20210929_183702.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	352995  
Old 01-04-2022, 07:20 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
I have had this problem and repaired the holes by using gorilla two part like jb weld and aluminum backer plates cut to fit on the inside. Get a floppy disk grinder about 220 grit and clean off as much rust a possible after removing the adhesive. I also had to make 8 inch plate and a piece of angle iron to replace the window perches, I also used metal kleen strip prep and etch phosphoric acid to treat all the metal surface. it helps to covert the rust and prep the surface. they replaced both my window.s
In the first upper pic there were holes large enough to put two fingers through the frame in the middle. I put a 2inch by 5 inch strip of aluminum which a big glob of gorrila two part into the space. there was another piece of alum on the outside and I screwed a C clamped them together. after I sand the outside smooth. We made a plate of steel with a perch to fill the hole on the bottom. I really does not matter if there are holes in the frame as long as you fill them so water doesn't come in and the frame is not rusted in half. If it is then weld some plates on it. we used a mig welder.. grind all the crappy welds smooth. do not paint the frame but coat it with the phosphoric acid.
Old 01-04-2022, 09:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
In the first upper pic there were holes large enough to put two fingers through the frame in the middle. I put a 2inch by 5 inch strip of aluminum which a big glob of gorrila two part into the space. there was another piece of alum on the outside and I screwed a C clamped them together. after I sand the outside smooth. We made a plate of steel with a perch to fill the hole on the bottom. I really does not matter if there are holes in the frame as long as you fill them so water doesn't come in and the frame is not rusted in half. If it is then weld some plates on it. we used a mig welder.. grind all the crappy welds smooth. do not paint the frame but coat it with the phosphoric acid.

You need to paint metal treated with phosphoric acid to help preserve the Iron Phosphate coating it created when it reacted with the corroded metal. I use it all the time in the boat yard and the paint coat is a critical part of the process. Depending on the weather it may take a few days for it to dry enough before you can apply paint.
Old 01-05-2022, 03:16 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
You need to paint metal treated with phosphoric acid to help preserve the Iron Phosphate coating it created when it reacted with the corroded metal. I use it all the time in the boat yard and the paint coat is a critical part of the process. Depending on the weather it may take a few days for it to dry enough before you can apply paint.
Do not paint the frame. The window installer will put on a special primer for the adhesive. it will react with a painted surface. I've been using phos for many years restoring vintage parts for motorcycles.

Tags
frame, wind, windshield