Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-16-2006, 04:57 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Anyone know where the windshield washer pump is on a 2001 35U Ford chassis? I've looked everywhere and cannot find it even by tracing the lines as far as I can see.

Reason: mine does not work (and there's fluid in it

Thanks, Steve
Old 08-16-2006, 04:57 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Anyone know where the windshield washer pump is on a 2001 35U Ford chassis? I've looked everywhere and cannot find it even by tracing the lines as far as I can see.

Reason: mine does not work (and there's fluid in it

Thanks, Steve
Old 08-16-2006, 05:33 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Likely it's built into the bottom of the reservoir.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:54 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Yep! I just came back in to kill this post since I found it on my on exactly where you said.

BUT: shouldn't there be 12V at the plug when the washer button is pushed? I plugged my meter in the female side coming from the coach and get nothing (wipers do rotate). The fuse is ok.

If the pump is bad, is that a Ford thing or Winnie? Presume the resevoir and pump are one unit.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:23 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

You should get voltage at the pump when the switch is turned to the wash position. There should be a fuse somewhere for the pump and not always tied into the wiper motor. If you aren't getting any voltage, it is a matter of tracing it backwards - could be the switch itself.

Most often, the pump itself is at fault. If so, I would go to a auto parts store and get a inline universal pump and plumb into the existing line. Sometimes you may need to gut the existing pump to make a new one work, but the aggravation will definitely be better than trying to find an exact replacement - and certainly much less expensive.

Chris

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 06:30 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Ok, finally got the votage. Dumb attack on my part. So, pump is bad. Thanks all for the counsel!!! Steve
Old 08-16-2006, 09:34 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Belgique: I would replace the pump with either an original Ford pump or an aftermarket replacement. They just twist into the bottom of the reservoir and are sealed by a gasket that comes with the new pump. Most auto stores have them for $12.00 - $20.00 so it's not a major expense. The nice thing is that the electrical connector will plug right into the new pump. No need to change or modify the wiring harness.

If you can get the reservoir out easily I would remove it and clean it out. Most in reservoir pumps fail because they get lime or other contaminants in the impeller and either break the impeller or burn out the motor.

If you can't get the reservoir out stick a garden hose in it and let the water run for a few minutes with the pump removed. You should be clean the crud out to avoid premature failure of the new pump.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:38 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Well Hikerdogs...I acted too fast . You're right on the money.

I took the whole resevoir off (breaking rusted bolts in the process) thinking that it was a sealed, all in one, unit. After reading your post, I stuck a socket in the resevoir and simply unscrewed the intake filter (nut shaped) on the inside of the resevoir from them pump on the outside and it all came apart nicely. Had I left the resevoir on the coach I could have made this an easy task. Now I have to drill out the rusted bolts and remount the resevoir. Alas. Not a big job but harder than it needed to be.

On edit: The pump is not a Ford product and some pretty good auto parts stores here could not come close. Mobility RV, the Winnie parts people, had it (comes as the resevoir and pump all in one) for about $35. It's on order.

I report all this so that it'll be in the archives for future reference.

Thanks! Steve