Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-08-2008, 05:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Any one had to replace their Winegard Automatic Satellite Dish model # AS-2003?

We have one that came on our 2007 Vectra which is 2 years old this month. We have been having problems with it locking a signal in. Went to Camping World Saturday to see about having it adjusted. Was told Winegard had a lot of problems with this model and parts are no longer available to repair. He said most likely when I called Winegard they have replaced a number of them and would most likely replace it at no charge. Called Winegard today and they confirmed no parts are available. Winegard said the circuit board is bad their solution was to offer an upgrade to a rebuilt Traveler SK3005 with a 90 day warranty for $950.00 plus shipping & tax.
Has any one had this problem and got it replaced?

Thanks
Gary
2007 Vectra
Phoenix, AZ
Old 12-08-2008, 05:16 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We have one that came on our 2007 Vectra which is 2 years old this month. We have been having problems with it locking a signal in. Went to Camping World Saturday to see about having it adjusted. Was told Winegard had a lot of problems with this model and parts are no longer available to repair. He said most likely when I called Winegard they have replaced a number of them and would most likely replace it at no charge. Called Winegard today and they confirmed no parts are available. Winegard said the circuit board is bad their solution was to offer an upgrade to a rebuilt Traveler SK3005 with a 90 day warranty for $950.00 plus shipping & tax.

Thanks
Gary
2007 Vectra
Phoenix, AZ
Old 12-08-2008, 06:13 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Here is a link to my recent post. I have decided to install a Motosat Executive satellite system this weekend.

Winegard AS-2003
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:33 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

GKM:

Join the many who have had difficulty with Winegard in-motion antennae. My Journey arrived with a MV-0099, which worked reasonably well for about a year, at which time Winnebago recalled it and replaced it with a MV 4005. It did not work well, and quit after about a month. They replaced it with another 4005 and it lasted about a year, after which time it would not pass RF signal through its slip connector. I called the factory and they sent a newer model, the MV3500, which did not have the slip joint and worked well up to about a week ago. Presently I am waiting for a good day to go up on top of the coach and see what is going on.

I cannot fault Winegard, as they sent several units to me, trying to rectify the problem. However, it seems to me that a 90 day warranty really is not enough time to make a $950 investment worth while. I think I would try another manufacturer. Winegard is always improving their product, but just has not yet achieved that point of perfection that in-motion satellite reception requires.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful, but I will probably be looking for a replacement soon. Good luck.

Wendell
Old 12-08-2008, 06:40 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

GKM:

I have made a big OOPS!. I didn't realize that your antenna was not an in-motion unit. But what I said is still true; just not relavent to your request.

Wendell
Old 12-09-2008, 05:21 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Location: If something hasn't broken on your RV, it is about to.
I had to recently replace my AS-2003 and discussed the details in an earlier thread (bad circuit board). Winegard did not off me a free replacement because no AS-2003s were available and my AS-2003 was 1/2 year out of warranty. Winegard did offered me a RoadTrip SD at about 1/3 the new price. We have used it for about 3 weeks and the domed RoadTrip has worked flawlessly.
Suncircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:41 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Well, that is indeed encouraging. I wonder if their SDi (in motion) system will be as reliable? I hope so.

Wendell
Old 12-10-2008, 05:37 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Have had a lot of problems with my AS-2003. Replaced many parts when it was under warranty, Winegard would send me the parts, I would install. Even when it was working it was a pain. It was very common for it to have problems toggling between the 119/110 satellites. I just learned to not watch channels that were coming off the 110 satellite to prevent the long wait required to refind the signal.

For the last two years I have gone to using a dish mounted on a tripod. No worry about trees and with 2 LNB's once locked onto the birds it gets 119/110 with no problems. I can usually get it set up and find a signal within 10 minutes, the Winegard frequently took longer than that to lock onto the satellite.
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:57 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the input. After a number of calls Winegard gave us a fair deal on upgrading us to the SK-3005 Slimline Trav'ler.

Have a Great Holidays
Gary
Old 12-14-2008, 07:26 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

I had that problem on my 2007 Adventurer. Got the same story from Winegard about no parts and the refurbished upgrade. Realy made me mad. I finally got hold of a tech at Winegard by the name of Keith and he told to try tightening the azmuith gear and it has worked fine ever since. It's pretty to do if you are into that kind of thing.
rlclanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:31 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

GKM -

Glad you have resolution! Sounds like Winegard stepped up!

That's my only complaint about Winnebago: my sat dish, Sony TV, RCA TV, and surround receiver were all end-of-life by the time I bought the coach - new. Pathetic. Most Fleetwood models had LCD's a year before as standard equipment. Winnebago needs to get current!
luckymick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:12 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Got the new Winegard TRAV’LER SK-3005 Direct TV Slimline Multi-Satellite and installed yesterday. Much larger than old Winegard AS2003 but very easy to install.
The new interface display box you press power on button for 2 seconds and it dial’s right in, to stow press power button for 2 second and it stows away. Much better built than the AS2003.

Gary
2007 Vectra 40TD
Phoenix, AZ
Old 04-29-2009, 02:17 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Vucube to replace as 2003 antenna

My as2003 satellite antenna quit locking on a satellite and can't be fixed. Has anyone tried the vucube or winegard portable antennae?
JABERWOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:09 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKM View Post
Much better built than the AS2003.
From what I have seen with mine I'd say that's an understatement. This one is gonna give the Motosat a run for the market.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:10 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

How do you tell which is the elevation gear and is this still working for you?
winnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:17 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

My AS 2003 also had a problem locking on to Dish 110 @ 119. It turned out that the problem was with the Dish box. Once Dish reset the box it all worked. It still takes fussing with resetting the box every once and awhile but it's not the antenna.

2004 ITASCA MERIDIAN
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:11 AM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Had my first trouble with the AS-2003 this last weekend (other than taking awhile to lock into a satellite) troubleshooting points to the electronics box under the sat cover. Anyone know where to get a replacement fairly cheaply? or should I just pull the plug and upgrade.

2007 Itasca Suncruiser 33', W-22
MiikeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 06:59 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmears View Post

Thanks
Gary
2007 Vectra
Phoenix, AZ
We just purchased the GW 1000 on a new RV and not quite sure what it does. And what is the air 360. We have a Navion 24 d
Moseyinn is offline   Reply With Quote