Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-03-2014, 07:24 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
I've had nothing but good luck and good service from Winnibago. Quite a few items were taken care of after mine was out of warranty such as 2 failures of the Lippert slide mechanism. It's good to be a satisfied customer.
Was that at the factory or the dealer? It is sad that the Lippert system is failing so soon. Can it be trusted?
Old 02-03-2014, 07:46 AM   #22
Living The Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Your comment to Tom seems a bit harsh.
Didn't intend for it to be harsh . . . just meant since I had no recollection of any previous post by this person, the stand-alone thread was leaving out an important fact (pointed out by a later post in the thread) that a new rig had already been ordered, so the message by the OP did seem more like a jab (as someone opinionated).

Note that I earlier suggested the problems might be handled better by the Winnebago factory. I thought the OP was really looking for alternative solutions. After learning the OP had already ordered a new rig and was moving on, it seemed then my suggestion wasn't really solicited in the first place.

Please note I have tried to be helpful/polite in every response, suggesting alternatives/wishing good luck, etc.

Thank you for your observation, too. Hope this clears things up.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:07 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
Didn't intend for it to be harsh . . . just meant since I had no recollection of any previous post by this person, the stand-alone thread was leaving out an important fact (pointed out by a later post in the thread) that a new rig had already been ordered, so the message by the OP did seem more like a jab (as someone opinionated).

Note that I earlier suggested the problems might be handled better by the Winnebago factory. I thought the OP was really looking for alternative solutions. After learning the OP had already ordered a new rig and was moving on, it seemed then my suggestion wasn't really solicited in the first place.

Please note I have tried to be helpful/polite in every response, suggesting alternatives/wishing good luck, etc.

Thank you for your observation, too. Hope this clears things up.
On this flat screen it is easy to leave the wrong impression. I hope I have not done the same.

I feel that it is sad that we CAN NOT rely on our local dealers for getting to the cause of a problem in a quick and efficient manner. Once in a great while you will read of a dealer who is consistent at good troubleshooting. But this is the exception and not the rule.

I feel that Winnebago has great layouts and ideas for us to buy. The complication of poor quality control from the assembly line down to the integral components and poor service makes buying a new coach a great risk. You must count on down time from the get go.

A couple I am volunteering with was delayed by several days because of failures while on the road. This was their maiden voyage in their brand new 2014 Adventure. They were fit to be tied by the time they arrived. The factory calls did not seem to bring much satisfaction. Sad to say, I have been hearing this more lately than in the past. Personally I have always had great responses from the hotline and email contacts.

I hope the rig Tom is getting gives him more satisfaction in all areas. He will still be dealing with the same type of service. RV dealer tech are not special as a general rule. The uncommon one is the good one.

Many happy and trouble free trails to you.
Rick
Old 02-03-2014, 09:20 AM   #24
Living The Dream

I understand, Rick. With our previous motorhome, a 2006 View, we went to the factory in Iowa to have a windshield frame rust issue recall performed rather than suffer the insult of the local DFW Winnebago dealer service department.

Have had the new Navion iQ there, too, and really enjoy the factory service experience.

Thanks . . . stay safe.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:34 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
On this flat screen it is easy to leave the wrong impression. I hope I have not done the same. I feel that it is sad that we CAN NOT rely on our local dealers for getting to the cause of a problem in a quick and efficient manner. Once in a great while you will read of a dealer who is consistent at good troubleshooting. But this is the exception and not the rule. I feel that Winnebago has great layouts and ideas for us to buy. The complication of poor quality control from the assembly line down to the integral components and poor service makes buying a new coach a great risk. You must count on down time from the get go. A couple I am volunteering with was delayed by several days because of failures while on the road. This was their maiden voyage in their brand new 2014 Adventure. They were fit to be tied by the time they arrived. The factory calls did not seem to bring much satisfaction. Sad to say, I have been hearing this more lately than in the past. Personally I have always had great responses from the hotline and email contacts. I hope the rig Tom is getting gives him more satisfaction in all areas. He will still be dealing with the same type of service. RV dealer tech are not special as a general rule. The uncommon one is the good one. Many happy and trouble free trails to you. Rick
You have captured the issue quite well here.

The selling dealer has the responsibility for warranty repair. They aren't Winnebago dealers, they are RV dealers. Their techs are not factory trained by any manufacturer. They generally don't have the expertise to do warranty work and in our experience, the service dept rarely has the time allocated for repairs and so the RV sits in the service dept for days with nothing done until they can get to it. The idea to take it back to the factory doesn't work for most people, including us, as that factory is far away across the country. We have several stories about interrupted and even cancelled trips, due to having to have the rig in the shop. We got no acceptable responses from the dealer or the factory until well after a year, when a person in the service dept of our dealership, reached out to the factory and asked them to come out and look at our coach. They did and we finally got some stuff taken care of. Sadly, this factory rep has retired before our repairs are completed so we are back to square one with the new guy. (At least we have a new guy)

We didn't buy a Winnebago, we thought we bought Winnebago quality and service. Now, We are frustrated and angry most of the time. So we understand why the OP would just throw in the towel and start over with a different manufacturer.
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:19 AM   #26
Living The Dream

I've never bought any vehicle that was trouble-free. I've never bought any vehicle as complex as our motorhomes. I've been frustrated with some of the issues, mostly dealer-inflicted from my perspective.

I've bought two Winnebagos - both new - I'd likely buy another. I'd also expect there would be some issues with it, hopefully none as frustrating as the OP's.

I hope he enjoys his new rig and can get on with the business of enjoying the RV lifestyle.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:54 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

I've had our current Journey since '01 and it has been a good rig, but I'm wondering, after reading this threa, if anyone is having a good experience buying a new rig.

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:00 PM   #28
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Was that at the factory or the dealer? It is sad that the Lippert system is failing so soon. Can it be trusted?
The warranty work has been done by several dealers, some better than others. The thing that impressed me more than anything else, was the way that Winnibago stepped up and took care of things that happened after the warranty expired.
As far as the slide mechanism, I'm still gunshy. I think that the size of the galley slide is too much for it, but that's just my opinion. Anyhow, I'm satisfied and wouldn't trade this rig. It's great!
Old 02-04-2014, 08:33 AM   #29
Winnebago Master

Quote:
The warranty work has been done by several dealers, some better than others. The thing that impressed me more than anything else, was the way that Winnibago stepped up and took care of things that happened after the warranty expired.
As far as the slide mechanism, I'm still gunshy. I think that the size of the galley slide is too much for it, but that's just my opinion. Anyhow, I'm satisfied and wouldn't trade this rig. It's great!
Your statement about Winne working with you on this issue gives me hope and renews my faith in them. The coach you have is a great layout. Ours is the smaller version and we love it. But quality control is still and issue and seems to be getting worse with the later years.

About not trading? I feel as you do. I hope things don't fail so bad that we are $ out of it.

My latest surprise was the rear grill fell off. The long standing issue of poor bonding on epoxy mounted components and falling off has happened to me once again. Had a problem on my last Winne. Will fix it later today when it is warmer. (Global Warming???)

I hope you get many years of great service from your coach.

Happy trails,
Rick
Old 02-04-2014, 09:34 AM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler of california View Post
I've had our current Journey since '01 and it has been a good rig, but I'm wondering, after reading this threa, if anyone is having a good experience buying a new rig.

Nick
X2 on wondering if anyone is having good experience with Winnebago.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:47 AM   #31
Living The Dream

Good experience with Winnebago? Yes!

Bought a new one in 2005, happy with it for about 6.5 years.

Bought a new one in 2012, happy with it, still.

Trouble-free? No, but nothing that caused me permanent mental anguish.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:44 PM   #32
Winnebago Owner

fla tom; Could all your repair problems stem from 2 words Camping World? While I've not had to have any repairs at any of their facilities every day there are new horror stories about how inept Camping World is at making it seems any type of repairs? Have you tried a different dealer that sells Winnebago MH's?
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:24 PM   #33
Winnebago Owner

We are happy with our 2013 Journey. We did have an issue with the heat pumps that was very frustrating. But through this forum we were directed to a contact at Coleman & our repairs have fixed the problem.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:26 PM   #34
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
fla tom; Could all your repair problems stem from 2 words Camping World? While I've not had to have any repairs at any of their facilities every day there are new horror stories about how inept Camping World is at making it seems any type of repairs? Have you tried a different dealer that sells Winnebago MH's?
Camping world is a major problem , but Winnebago has been very unresponsive . I do have to note though I did receive a call from Winnebago (first time after many months of calling them asking for help) on Monday(funny the first business day after I posted this thread). I do have the coach at another dealer as I want to get the issues resolved if possible. I will be more than happy to post if the coach is fixed correctly
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:38 PM   #35
Winnebago Master

We had a 2001 Adventurer then a 2006 Sun cruiser and now a 2013 Tour for 414 days and 10,500 miles. Our next will be Winnebago.
We do our best to stay away from dealers they can break more than they fix.
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:51 AM   #36
Winnebago Master

I'm wondering why some have good experiences with Winnibago Cust Svc and some don't.Seems very strange. Could it possibly be the way that the Rep is approached with a problem? I'm really curious!
Old 02-05-2014, 10:26 AM   #37
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I'm wondering why some have good experiences with Winnibago Cust Svc and some don't.Seems very strange. Could it possibly be the way that the Rep is approached with a problem? I'm really curious!
I don't think so. I think it has to do more with the rep a customer reaches. Once we connected with our previous rep, after working with just the dealer for a year, we began to have a good experience. He came and looked at the coach, worked to understand the problems, established a good relationship with our dealer and then proactively worked with them to get the issues resolved. He couldn't improve the dealers expertise, but got them to do the work. It took another year working with him to get most of the 65 items repaired. Some of them were in for repair more than 8 times. Now, with 1 item left, this one about to be repaired for the 7th time, our rep retired and we have a new guy. This one is just "take it to the dealer and have them call for instructions". Since we've done that 6 times now, just seems like the definition of insanity. "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result". He has nothing other than that to offer. Our previous rep would have offered an alternative.
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:22 AM   #38
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
As far as approaching I have not cursed, yelled or threatened any on at Winnebago I have asked nicely. That said how would you have someone "approach" a manufacturer when you have a $389k motorhome that is one day old with a major defect? should I get on my knees and beg? send flowers? the only thing I knew to do was to call and Email
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:49 AM   #39
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler of california View Post

Nick
We bought our first Advnturer in 2001. We put over 100,000 miles on it and had very few problems. It went to the Winnebago factory in Forest City 4 times in 12 years for service. We were very happy with the results and purchased a 2013 Adventurer last spring.

We already have over 11,000 miles on the new coach and it's been as good a coach as our 2001. It's been to the factory once for some minor warranty work. We'll be putting another 3,000 miles or so on in the next month. We're very happy with the product, the dealership we bought it from, and the factory service.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:21 PM   #40
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla tom View Post
As far as approaching I have not cursed, yelled or threatened any on at Winnebago I have asked nicely. That said how would you have someone "approach" a manufacturer when you have a $389k motorhome that is one day old with a major defect? should I get on my knees and beg? send flowers? the only thing I knew to do was to call and Email
That was not intended as a "dig" at you.

Tags
winnebago, service