Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2021, 02:04 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Winnebago cutting corners

I have a 2017 Winnebago Journey. The film on the front that is suppose to keep rocks an sand from damaging the paint had been getting mold under the film and made the coach look years older. I decided to have it re-done. When taking off the old film it became apparent that the factory needed to touch up some areas and when doing so did not take the time to re-clear coat where they touched up. I personally would have thought better of them than that. If they would have used diamond coat film it comes with a life time guarantee and if it fails its free to replace it. How much could they have possibly saved using the cheap film? Saving pennies is one thing but keeping up their name and having happier customers is another. Poor workmanship at best and cheaper materials. Coach looks new again no thanks to Winnebago.
Uncle Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2021, 02:43 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Everyone is having issues with the Diamond Shield. Best advice is to remove it, repaint and a quality clear coat. It is not exclusive to Winnebago. It is seen on many coaches.
Old 10-28-2021, 03:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Everyone is having issues with the Diamond Shield. Best advice is to remove it, repaint and a quality clear coat. It is not exclusive to Winnebago. It is seen on many coaches.
I've been reading about this problem ever since I joined irv2.com. From what I gather, the new buyer must ask for this, it isn't standard equipment.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 10:39 PM   #4

https://uglyshieldremoval.com/
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 03:37 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Everybody but me is having problems. I wax mine every 6 months. 7 years and still looks new.
Old 11-02-2021, 05:42 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Everybody but me is having problems. I wax mine every 6 months. 7 years and still looks new.
I do my front after almost every drive which is about twice a month. Up until a month or so ago everything was fine. Now at 8 years I have a bloom of mildew under the shield in many places. It will be unsightly at a distance soon I anticipate.

We are full time so we stay out of intense heat and cold but it also has been outside for the full time too.

I'd like everything to last forever like my Land Cruiser but don't really expect it.
Old 11-02-2021, 05:43 PM   #7

I just had my shield (2011) replaced last July at CDI as the mold came on quick last summer in Florida. I think it was $500 to remove and $600 to install new and it has a 10 year warranty. I didn't use any special cleaners on the film and it stayed clear for a little over 10 years.
Old 11-02-2021, 09:37 PM   #8

We removed ours with an expensive orange scented remover but was worth it it needs paint touch up too even with using plastic razor blades. We ordered online
rrambeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHTC3 View Post
I just had my shield (2011) replaced last July at CDI as the mold came on quick last summer in Florida. I think it was $500 to remove and $600 to install new and it has a 10 year warranty. I didn't use any special cleaners on the film and it stayed clear for a little over 10 years.
What is CDI?
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 07:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
What is CDI?
CDI is who if you have full body paint on your motorhome most likely painted it. They are in Forest City just west of the winnebago plant. Last year I had the shield stripped off the front, front cap repainted (clear was peeling off under the shield and had new shield put on over the repainted front cap on our 2005 journey.

Sent from my SM-G960U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
neub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 10:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by neub View Post
CDI is who if you have full body paint on your motorhome most likely painted it. They are in Forest City just west of the winnebago plant. Last year I had the shield stripped off the front, front cap repainted (clear was peeling off under the shield and had new shield put on over the repainted front cap on our 2005 journey.

Sent from my SM-G960U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Thanks. I don't have a Winnebago so I'm wasn't familiar with CDI.

I like the price for a new shield though.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 05:24 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Count your blessings. I used the recommended coating every few months for the five years we owned this unit, now in the seventh year 2014-2021 a tiny spot last year has exploded across entire front. Since this is under the film I donít think external surface coatings do much good in our experience. Might have something to do with where you live. No matter to us anyway, we are selling the unit.
Old 11-06-2021, 05:52 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
From what I saw on a friends coach is small tiny fractures in the film, not deep or large, in style from debris hitting it.. then moisture gets past and the adhesive which may be organic based not solvent reacts...

I used a 30x illuminated inspection scope that I use for checking paint defects..

just my theory but fact is many auto/industry companies have changed there adhesives from solvent to water or such and or processes to meet laws...lots of weird issues. some work better some not....

WE use alot of rockguard on vehicles , clear film,,, NEVER have I had mold look even on frt bumper wraps..
It is a material issue for sure in some way
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago