Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2019, 12:22 PM   #1

Winnebago Forza - Storage Compartment Door Recall?

We have been battling the "storage doors popping open" since we bought the unit new in April.

Dealer adjusted the doors, but this did not work. We couldn't drive it more than a few miles and find another door open. It appears to only be the doors "between the wheels" on either side, and randomly which one opens.

My temporary fix was to install stainless steel cables to prevent them from opening up and hitting other vehicles or obstacles.

My next fix was to install a secondary "rubber latch" on the bottom of the doors. Now they still pop open, but the latch keeps them from opening all the way.

I recently found yesterday on the NHTSA website that a recall has been initiated to correct the issue. I contacted my dealer and he hasn't heard about it.

Have any other Forza owners had this problem?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2019, 10:16 PM   #2

Thanks for the information. A friend has a new Forza, and is having a lot of problems with it. I forwarded your information to him, he is making an appt. with the W factory for this fall to have a number of things fixed anyway.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:51 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have had the same issue on my 2010 Fleetwood terra and it can be a real issue. I had 1 pop open on a very busy interstate and had to get out to close it and nearly got hit by a passing car. I ended up putting bungy cords on all my cargo doors and at least they can only come open an inch or so. I have not found ant recalls on Fleetwood.
millred1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 12:55 PM   #4

It has been frustrating.

So far, the rubber "latches" I installed on the bottom of the door/compartment has prevented me from constantly having to look out the mirrors for doors swinging!
Old 10-03-2019, 05:08 PM   #5

I have a 2019 Forza 38W and have door issues since day 1. Did get recall notice NHTSA Safety Recall 19V-152. Still no fix but at least admitted a problem. Called Winne they recommended using round file to put groove in plastic where it contacts bar. I did it to the door that pops open the most and will know soon enough if it helps.
Also noticed at the Hershey Show 2020s have a much better latching system
Daleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:22 AM   #6

Oh yea!! Ours pop open too! We got a letter on it ! Taking it next week ...
charleneae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:17 PM   #7

a year has gone by and still no fix

Has anyone had a successful fix for this? Spoke to Winnebago again and they don't have a clue how to fix this. Shame spending so much cash on a rig and having to constantly scan my mirrors for open hatches...
Daleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleman View Post
Has anyone had a successful fix for this? Spoke to Winnebago again and they don't have a clue how to fix this. Shame spending so much cash on a rig and having to constantly scan my mirrors for open hatches...
I received a letter in January stating they were going back to the drawing board and it'd be 6 or more months to hear anything. Now going on 9......... I think they are just waiting and hoping we all quit complaining.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:41 PM   #9

The original recall was issued 7/19. I contacted the dealer on our 2019 Forza 34T. They said that they did not have a recall notice. Called Winnebago service (800-537-1885) several times. Finally go the dealer to talk to Winnebago and the factory send out a replacement metal latch, that has fixed to problem for us. The factory made an issue that they did not have a permanent fix.
Seems to me that something is wrong when you issue a recall and then never fix the problem. So far we have only had the issue with one door, but what a hassle!
rldriew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 01:41 PM   #10

I filed a complaint today with the NHTSA. Recommend all Forza owners with compartment door issues do the same. Easy to submit you just need to have your VIN handy. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
Old 01-14-2021, 08:23 AM   #11
tcf

We just had the "fix" done on our 2019 34T. Winnebago's solution is to install a second latch to each door with a twist-knob on the outside. If you don't mind the appearance it seems to work except that in our case, 5 of the 10 doors still open even with the secondary latch locked due to improper installation.

It seems to me to be a cheap work-around. I took the coach in expecting the original latches to replaced with ones that work as intended, but instead, I came back to my coach with a line of black knobs along each side . . . and they don't even line up horizontally. Not happy.
tcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:25 AM   #12
tcf

We just had the "fix" done on our 2019 34T. Winnebago's solution is to install a second latch to each door with a twist-knob on the outside. If you don't mind the appearance it should work in theory, except in our case, 5 of the 10 doors still open even with the secondary latch locked due to improper installation.

It seems to me to be a cheap work-around. I took the coach in expecting the original latches to replaced with ones that work as intended, but instead, I have a line of black knobs along each side and they don't even line up horizontally. Not happy.
tcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:52 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I've had it completed in December on my 2018 Forza 38W and have to admit I was a little hesitant but after seeing the 2 they had just completed and the quality of the work I was more than happy to eliminate this issue. Though I've never had the unfortunate luck to have them pop out on the highway or any road for that matter. Several have popped out while turning in tight locations in Campgrounds, etc.. IMHO I may not be happy to have these additional latches but it takes about 5 secs to open or close them so it's a no brainer to have it done. I like the fact that the latching system doesn't stick out into the bay for me to bust my knuckles on them every time I'm looking to pull something out or put something in them. I had a similar issue on my FR Class A GT5 and they never came up with a fix and I had doors pop open while on the highway. Anyway it's a good fix and happy they did it.
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, recall, storage, winnebago