Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2010, 12:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Winnebago Horizon Heater Core

I am in the process of changing out the heater core in my 2002 Itasca Horizon.
Have checked a lot of post here and find SCS Frigette is where to buy the heater core. I cannot get through to them, I think they are shutting down.

Anyone know where I can get a heater core for this unit ??

Thanks, CLewis
Silvertrac51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:42 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertrac51 View Post
I am in the process of changing out the heater core in my 2002 Itasca Horizon.
Have checked a lot of post here and find SCS Frigette is where to buy the heater core. I cannot get through to them, I think they are shutting down.

Anyone know where I can get a heater core for this unit ??

Thanks, CLewis
I just replaced my heater box assembly. When I called SCS Frigette I was told the same thing. They said they could not sell anything to me. I called Lichtsinn Motors at Forest City and talked to their parts dept. and they said they stock them. My suggestion would be to call them at 800-343-6255 and ask for their RV parts Dept. Lonnie & David are very knowledgeable and helpful on Winnebago & Itaska parts. Lichtsinn Motors is also a sponsor here at iRV2.

Good Luck;
Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:48 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Been there, done that. I replaced mine in 2006 so SCS was still selling direct. As Petro noted, you cannot go wrong with the folks at Lichtsinn.

An alternative is to take your old core to a good auto radiator shop. They can build a new core. Your core has brass tanks soldered to the core. If you do that, make sure they make the new core no larger than the OEM as it is a very tight fit getting the new core into the box.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:53 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

You have got my attention. I also have an '02 Horizon, and so far, have had no problem with the heater. Did your's develop a leak? Is it removed from inside, behind the dash? I've done a lot of projects on mine, but I don't know how you even access the heater core. So I'm asking, but I'm hoping I won't need to know.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:42 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBill View Post
You have got my attention. I also have an '02 Horizon, and so far, have had no problem with the heater. Did your's develop a leak? Is it removed from inside, behind the dash? I've done a lot of projects on mine, but I don't know how you even access the heater core. So I'm asking, but I'm hoping I won't need to know.
The core must be removed from the front and it requires dropping the lower front cap. The best access is gained by removed the cap but it can be done by tilting the cap forward and propping it on something. That is what I did. There is a thread with detailed instructions on R & R of the heater core posted by BattChief.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:05 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

You may find, like I did, that radiator cores for specialty applications are harder to find these days. There are still shops that will take the trouble to find and replace a core. I found this one on the internet Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
...An alternative is to take your old core to a good auto radiator shop. They can build a new core. Your core has brass tanks soldered to the core. If you do that, make sure they make the new core no larger than the OEM as it is a very tight fit getting the new core into the box.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:43 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
The core must be removed from the front and it requires dropping the lower front cap. The best access is gained by removed the cap but it can be done by tilting the cap forward and propping it on something. That is what I did. There is a thread with detailed instructions on R & R of the heater core posted by BattChief.
Thanks for the heads-up. Good info.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote