Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

jerickorick; As to the condensation inside your unit, do you keep a roof vent cover cracked a bit, it helps lessen the moisture build up inside the unit. It also helps to use an electric space heater as much as possible to heat the coach it is a dry heat.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:37 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppopc View Post
We hav a 2013 Winnie Journey 40U.
The top corner of the mirrored close door started to come apart.
Couldn't figure out how to remove. Put glue in the corner and Blocked
up tight for about 12 hrs. Still holdin so far, good to know about the clips.
Thanks.
Are you out of warranty? That should be covered. Get the door replaced if you can. This could happen in other areas.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
jerickorick; As to the condensation inside your unit, do you keep a roof vent cover cracked a bit, it helps lessen the moisture build up inside the unit. It also helps to use an electric space heater as much as possible to heat the coach it is a dry heat.
No we don't. When it rains it splatters in. Besides, we are trying to heat the place up in the cold TX weather. We are using the fireplace. Looks great and is functional too!

I'm under the impression that the heat pump, like cooling, dries the air out. But I can see where we could be putting more moisture in than it can take out. Is it just us that is having this problem in the cold or are others experiencing it?

When the humidity outside is 100% I don't see how opening the vent will help. But, thanks for the suggestion in any case. I might try it yet.

Rick
Old 12-01-2013, 08:01 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I tried this suggestion and the vents stopped raining in the coach.

to that one.

I am trying something else along with the vents. I have used 3/8"x1/2" foam tape (door weather stripping) along the top seam in the cabinets. I have attached pictures. My reasoning this. If the moist air is prevented from coming in contact with the cold seam the condensation problem should be over in those areas.

We are in warm weather for the moment. In a couple of days the temps are dropping back into the 20's. BURRRRRR. The real test will be then and I will post the results.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	before.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	51054   Click image for larger version

Name:	after.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	51055  

Old 12-04-2013, 09:40 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

To cut down on indoor humidity, we use a Eva-Dry 2200 Electric Dehumidifier.

While we try to stay out of the cold, we do occasionally get caught in the low 30's (Austin 2 weeks ago), but we have not seen the "sweating" conditions you are experiencing.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Jerichorick, just wondered how you are liking the Winguard for your Direct tv? We had that system in our Fleetwood, and have not been too impressed with the King Dome and are thinking about replacing it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SAWTELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:07 AM   #27
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAWTELLE View Post
Jerichorick, just wondered how you are liking the Winguard for your Direct tv? We had that system in our Fleetwood, and have not been too impressed with the King Dome and are thinking about replacing it.
I have heard this many times about the King Dome. My new Traveler is a SWIM system. It is working great. Now, if Directv would just sell good programing for a reasonable price things would be a lot better. I am seriously thinking of dumping all pay tv. I am insulted by the fact that my money is supporting such poor programing.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #28
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I am doing as you suggested and it seems to be helping. Also, the insulation seems to be helping too. It is not perfectly dry but the places I have used it are dryer than the unmodified areas.

We use the fireplace heater and I have added another space heater to supplement this. Keeping the bedroom door closed stabilizes the heat and I hope the humidity too.

Thanks again,
Rick
Old 12-06-2013, 10:49 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
We bought ours with about 20K on it. I never considered the milage because of the Cummins/Allison/Freightliner combination.

Problems: Crown molding in livingroom is poorly installed and just looks bad. Will replace at some point. Had drain in back of freezer plug. Prevented drawer from closing properly and iced the bottom of the freezer compartment. We payed $100 to get it fixed.

The fix is simple. Take the drawer out and remove the back panel. Use a hair dryer to melt the ice blocking the drains. Blow low pressure air, 10 to 20 psi will do, in the drain holes. Put it all back together and you are good to go. Also the travel latch on the freezer was not installed correctly. I put a new screw and shims on it. All is well and DW LOVES the fridge.

The genset Auto Start has been invaluable. We have been forced to drydock because we were visiting family. The 12V system on this coach is rock solid. DW cooked a turkey breast for 2 hrs running the convection oven on the inverter. Four hours later the genset started to charge the house batteries! Rock solid.

The fireplace is great. Dawson, our Belgian Malinois, love the hearth. The heat isn't great but it is a good supplement on a cool morning and adds to the ambiance in the evening.

The heat pumps are unbelievably useful. I just finished a test. It was 25 Degs. when we got up. I had switched to LP during the night to heat the basement because it was 27 degs. and the heat pumps were still working fine. As far as I know we DO NOT have heat-strips in the units. The heat pumps were still working at 25 degs.. I did not think this was possible.

We just had one leg of our journey where we did not run the genset. I estimate we got about 9.6 mpg from Birmingham, AL to Monroe, LA. I was running around 66 to 67 mph.

Please tell me more of your bedroom door problem and fix. I could not see how to adjust it, as mine need a tweak.

Check your closet door latches. The screws came out of one yesterday. A rough road adventure was the cause and dumped all of the hanging close on the floor. I am thinking of cable tying a pole of some sort over the hangers and onto the closet pole. Some of the roads in TX can be like a Disney ride.

In all we love our coach. I hope this is our last one and that it will be with us for the next 15 or so years. I don't know how long I will be blessed with good health before or after that time.

Happy trails,
Rick
As per our signature. Our heat pump struggle below 40*
Wonder if they have changed AC brands. Also they are quite loud!
Old 12-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #30
Winnebago Owner

We like our 2013 Journey 40U but energy efficient it is not.
Went thru a whole tank of LP last week.
Would have also ,this week but bought two 1500 watt electic heaters.
Those and the fireplace do quite well.
27* here in Ft. worth. This am.15* the next two mornings.
Can't use the heat pumps much below 40*!
Old 12-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppopc View Post
We like our 2013 Journey 40U but energy efficient it is not.
Went thru a whole tank of LP last week.
Would have also ,this week but bought two 1500 watt electic heaters.
Those and the fireplace do quite well.
27* here in Ft. worth. This am.15* the next two mornings.
Can't use the heat pumps much below 40*!
Our climate in NC/SC is usaully very similiar to Ft Worth this time of year, just being a few days behind you. Today its 73 & very windy, by Sunday high near 40.
We have used a 40lb bottle of Propane in about 1 1/2 weeks, however we keep the fireplace on constantly when we are at the mh & if my DW is there alone she turns the tstat down to 45' before she goes to work at 7pm & back up to 68' in the morning when she gets back in at 8am.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #32
Winnebago Master

LP is a problem when the furnaces kick in. I just added this (see pictures) the other day. All of the parts come from Lowes and are air fittings, except the hose. I spent about $18. If the main tank gets low I can shut it off and use the adapter to connect a spare tank. I can get a line for my grill and use it with this setup.

I may add another electric heater to the mix. But the cold we are facing just east of Dallas has the potential of freezing the basement. As was previously suggested, I am keeping the basement lights on for some warmth but running the LP heaters is essential.

We lost shore power early this morning. No problem for the coach. Everything ran as expected. During the day we are keeping the bedroom door closed and the heat low to conserve LP. I hope I can keep enough in the tank to allow us to head to Austin early next month but I doubt that will happen. Will have to pack up at some point to get LP. DW has lots of stuff to pack just for a short spin to the LP pump.

I have a side request. Has anyone found a good way to clean the bottom coil on the Maytag refrigerator? DW is not pleased with my idea of using the compressor and a vacuum cleaner to herd up the dust balls.

Stay warm all,
Rick
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF1941.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	51440   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1942.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	51441  

Name:	DSCF1938.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	261.6 KB
ID:	51442  
Old 12-08-2013, 06:36 AM   #33
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by motohomer View Post
To cut down on indoor humidity, we use a Eva-Dry 2200 Electric Dehumidifier.

While we try to stay out of the cold, we do occasionally get caught in the low 30's (Austin 2 weeks ago), but we have not seen the "sweating" conditions you are experiencing.
We have been showing good results from doing the weather stripping at the roof/wall seam in the cupboards and leaving the roof vents cracked a bit. I see no need for the extra equipment. I like simple and low maintenance.

Thanks for the suggestion. It is a good and valid one and I am certain others will benefit from it.

Merry Christmas,
Rick
Old 12-08-2013, 07:54 AM   #34
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
LP is a problem when the furnaces kick in. I just added this (see pictures) the other day. All of the parts come from Lowes and are air fittings, except the hose. I spent about $18. If the main tank gets low I can shut it off and use the adapter to connect a spare tank. I can get a line for my grill and use it with this setup.

I may add another electric heater to the mix. But the cold we are facing just east of Dallas has the potential of freezing the basement. As was previously suggested, I am keeping the basement lights on for some warmth but running the LP heaters is essential.

We lost shore power early this morning. No problem for the coach. Everything ran as expected. During the day we are keeping the bedroom door closed and the heat low to conserve LP. I hope I can keep enough in the tank to allow us to head to Austin early next month but I doubt that will happen. Will have to pack up at some point to get LP. DW has lots of stuff to pack just for a short spin to the LP pump.

I have a side request. Has anyone found a good way to clean the bottom coil on the Maytag refrigerator? DW is not pleased with my idea of using the compressor and a vacuum cleaner to herd up the dust balls.

Stay warm all,
Rick
Rick this is basically what I use. However we use a 40lb external bottle & we use it as primary then the on board tank as a backup. The small external tank is much easier to take get refilled. One word of advice though, the smaller tanks will show empty & stop supplying propane when at about 25-30% remaining in temps below 30'. May I suggest you use the small tank during the day & switch over to the larger on board tank in the evening. Unless of coarse the day time temps never rise above 30'. Hopefully that cold front storm you are experiencing will pass soon & you will be back to normal fall/winter temps. Also look for a refill station that will fill by the gallon rather than the size of the tank. When being filled in these cold temps a 20lb bottle most likely won't take the full 4.8 gallons.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #35
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
Rick this is basically what I use. However we use a 40lb external bottle & we use it as primary then the on board tank as a backup. The small external tank is much easier to take get refilled. One word of advice though, the smaller tanks will show empty & stop supplying propane when at about 25-30% remaining in temps below 30'. May I suggest you use the small tank during the day & switch over to the larger on board tank in the evening. Unless of coarse the day time temps never rise above 30'. Hopefully that cold front storm you are experiencing will pass soon & you will be back to normal fall/winter temps. Also look for a refill station that will fill by the gallon rather than the size of the tank. When being filled in these cold temps a 20lb bottle most likely won't take the full 4.8 gallons.
I agree with using the external as a backup. The small tank did work for us the other night but now I need to make a LP run.

I have used propane all of my life to my earliest memories. It is best to fill when it is cool to get more LP in the tank because it 'shrinks'. But the opposite is also to be considered. If you fill in the cool (30* let's say) then head south to the 70's or 80's without using much, if any, you may run into an 'overfill' problem. 80% is the safe limit.

Liquid to vapor gas that we use can be a problem but I hope I never see temps that low. The 20's are not going to stop the gas from forming and didn't the other night on the small tank. A friend from Alberta, CA had to use light bulbs under his tank one winter because the LP 'froze'! Way too much winter for these old bones.

Overall we are now doing much better in the cold than we did our first night or two. Got the ceiling vents cracked a bit (humidity control), the weather stripping is keeping the moisture under control in the cupboards, I am leaving the basement lights on for supplement heat, and the propane issue has been addressed. Yes. We are Happy Campers!
Old 12-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #36
Winnebago Master

The water closet sink has always drained a bit slow. I addressed this issue this morning out of needing something to do.

I found the tail of the trap was too long. Had this same problem in my '05 Vectra. I cut it down so only 1 1/2" to pass beyond the nut into the out drain. The 'fix' seems to be working. Here are some pictures:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	trap tail in.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	51584   Click image for larger version

Name:	trap.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	264.1 KB
ID:	51585  

Name:	before cut.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	51586   Click image for larger version

Name:	after cut.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	51587  

Old 12-17-2013, 09:42 PM   #37
Winnebago Camper

I was reading how you guys carry a smaller tank as a spare, but I don't think we have room. What we have been doing the last 2 weeks in Northern New Mexico, is run 2 portable heaters and 1 small one in the basement even though it gets LP heat. The 2 heaters have hardly let the LP run and we still have half a tank. The small heater in the basement kept the temperature at 33 degrees when it was -4 outside. Hubby has a thermostat outside and in the basement so he can keep and eye on things. We have been very happy with our Itasca.
Y Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:18 AM   #38
Winnebago Master

You are troupers! 17* is as cold as I ever want to see with the rig and that is too cold for these old bones. I had my fill of cold and snow. I was raised and worked in New England.

I am glad that the heaters are keeping you safe and trouble free. I understand about the room problem. When I had the '05 Vectra I carried the grill tank in a milk crate strapped in the passengers seat of the car. This new coach is much easier to pack.

Have a great and warm Christmas.
Rick
Old 12-18-2013, 07:59 AM   #39
Winnebago Master

Quote:

Stay warm all,
Rick
I would be a little worried about using an Air Quick Connect not rated for propane. Mr heater makes one rated for propane.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:03 AM   #40
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
I would be a little worried about using an Air Quick Connect not rated for propane. Mr heater makes one rated for propane.
Same parts. No difference. LP is no more caustic than air gun oil and the pressures required for air fittings exceeds that of LP. LP fittings are brass to eliminate sparking when connecting and disconnecting. My fittings are all brass. I would not be surprised if they are from the same assembly line. Just different packaging. After each reconnect (tank change) I spray the connections with soapy water. No leaks. Works fine.

Thanks for expressing the concern, John. Happy trails.
Rick

Tags
itasca, winnebago