Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-05-2011, 10:15 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago Journey Collision Damage

My 2010 Winnebago Journey was involved in a one vehicle accident back in July 2011 when it ran over a 7' retaining wall and ended up nose down on the dirt and tail up in the air. Was not a pretty sight but at least I only witnessed the accident and wasn't behind the wheel...don't ask!!

The motorhome had to be lifted and towed off the retaining wall. MH is completely driveable but has some significant damage to the undercarraige as well as compartment doors on both sides of coach.

I have had the MH at a local Winnebago dealer in Marion, NC since July and as of today (early October) am still waiting on a repair estimate from them. I am being told that they are having problems getting prices on the repair parts from Winnebago and that some of the parts will actually have to be "made". Even though this is a sizeable dealer, I have also learned that they sub-out the actual body/paint work to a local body shop that I also spoke with yesterday. Part of the owners comments were "i've never had to do this before" referring to removing and replacing a couple of the storage bins on the underside of the MH.

I am beginning to think there is a problem somewhere because even in my patient mind set, 3 months is a little long to even come up with the estimate of repair. At this rate, it may be summer 2012 before coach would be repaired.

Has anyone had any similiar experiences with repairs on coach body and the time it takes to actually get "estimates" on the repair work? Also, has anyone used LazyDays in Tampa for collision damage repair and if so what has been your experience?

Any comments are appreciated.
randy1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:30 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Wow, Randy, what an unfortunate situation. If you were considering going all the way to Lazydays I would head west instead to the factory and get it done right.

This is not to reflect on Lazydays. I bought my coach there and have been satisfied with them. As big as their operation is, I think you would be better served having the manufacturer perform such major repairs. You will probably get similar responses.

Are you certain it is that drivable?

Best of luck with this.

Bill
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

You are certainly more patient than I would be. I can highly recommend Commercial Refinishers of Durham, NC. They do very extensive collision repair on commercial trucks, buses, motorhomes and do custom paint work. They did the full body paint job on my coach last year.

Contact Jason Gullie at [email protected]
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

If I were you I'd check with Creative Coach in Lakeland,Fl. They do outstanding work. 888-234-3439. I had some pretty extensive hail damage that they repaired. And since I had a custom paint job I was concerned they wouldn't be able to match the paint. They did great work..matched the paint perfectly, and did it all in a week. If he's still there ask for Lester Burgess.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I would go directly to Winnebago in Forest City, Iowa. Go directly, do not pass go!
Bob and Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Take it to where the parts are, Forest City. They will repair it correctly.
ROMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:52 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Bought our coach @ LazyDays and have had it repaired there. Very good work, very timely work and very professional. That said and considering the work that you require I would probably make the trip to Forest City rather than the trip to Seffner. Was there chassis damage as well? If so, a trip to the chassis shop may be required.

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:11 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I had a damaged bay door (2008 Winni) and Forest City gave me an estimate the same day I asked for it. They had the door. I don't understand why they would not have a 2010's parts. Have you called Winnebago directly and asked their opinion?

Good luck.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:53 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Sorry to hear about your accident. I recently damaged the lower door valance on my 98 Chieftain. Called Winneabago, they referred me to Mobility RV. That was three weeks ago and my new part arrived yesterday, yes it had to be made by Winnebago, in fact it was dropped shipped directly from Winnebago. Price was fair considering that it had to be made etc, so I suggest you contact Mobility RV in IA or as others have suggested go direct to the factory.
Catcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:57 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcoach View Post
Sorry to hear about your accident. I recently damaged the lower door valance on my 98 Chieftain. Called Winneabago, they referred me to Mobility RV. That was three weeks ago and my new part arrived yesterday, yes it had to be made by Winnebago, in fact it was dropped shipped directly from Winnebago. Price was fair considering that it had to be made etc, so I suggest you contact Mobility RV in IA or as others have suggested go direct to the factory.
Mobility RV, Winnebago Parts, only sells parts and doesn't do repairs. They are in Hanlontown, IA about 20 miles east of Forest City.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:09 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I'd have the chassis checked over for damage. That can't be good for the frame, they're simply not designed for the hard landing after a short flight!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:52 AM   #12
Phredsee

Send a message via Yahoo to phredsee
OK, I won't ask but sure am curious.
Anyway, we experienced what I will call an incident with our bedroom slide that got damaged, and even though I didn't witness it nor was behind the wheel either, it's a $10,000 chunk of change through the other parties insurance company. None of us are happy about it, but as they say, stuff happens.

Since this was away from our home state, we decided to have the work done in California where we could monitor the process. The repair facility, Final Touch Coach Works, was up front and told us they couldn't even look at it for (30) days. The insurance company was reasonably quick with their on site estimate which took a week, sent the check to FT, took another week and the parts were ordered.

Winnebago said all the damage that was done, especially all the wood work in the bedroom, was not in stock and had to be hand made at the factory, which takes about another (30) days.

FT does the painting on the exterior along with seals and other misc. items, interior stuff removed and reinstalled when the parts arrive, tacks on another couple of weeks to completion.

Coach went in on or about August 1, 2011 and due to pick up around October 28, 2011, provided all the stars align.

Your damage is more extensive and like others have said, maybe the chassis might need some tweaking, but my opinion is I had chosen what I believe to be a quality repair facility, they were up front with me about the time lines, they have a very good reputation by others and I would rather wait it out to get it repaired like it originally was built. My suggestion is to choose a quality shop, as your 2010 Winnebago Journey is an excellent coach and I'm sure you want it returned like new and that will take patience on your part and a whole lot of quality talent from the repair facility! I think you'll be glad you did.

Sorry to hear of the damage done to your coach and know the feeling all too well. Good luck with the repairs.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:08 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I'd have the chassis checked over for damage. That can't be good for the frame, they're simply not designed for the hard landing after a short flight!
I agree and since you are close to Freightliner in Gaffney, SC I would have Freightliner check the frame and undercarriage. They have a good record. Maybe even sign up for Camp Freightliner at the same time.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:48 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

We had our $10,742.000 estimate with in 3 days. Since Winnebago closes a month in the summer, we had to wait till August for our new door. We should pick ours up tomorrow. The dealor doesn't have a paint dryer and these 3 diff paints are tricky. The MH was done except for the paint and we had lost our spot waiting on the door. Good Luck
Old 10-10-2011, 02:15 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone for all the replies. I am taking the advice of my fellow RV'ers and taking the coach back to Winnebago in Forest City, IA to be repaired. I have spoken with the service department 3 times in the past week and they could not have been nicer and more helpful. I picked up the coach from the dealer that had it on Friday, have got the coach winterized and ready to make the trip.

I have had someone take a look at the chassis and all is well in that department. The one good thing when the coach went over the wall it was just creeping and the wall basically crumbled underneath the weight of the coach so there was no hard hitting of the frame.

Hopefully, I will have the coach back in time for a New Years trip to Hilton Head. Thanks everyone for all the input and suggestions.
randy1207 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey, winnebago