RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2019, 10:04 AM   #4565

BobChill, you may have some negotiating power, but don't expect a lot. We bought our 2019 26RBSS in March last year. I compiled the specs of the unit (there is some variation) and priced several dealers within 500 miles of our Raleigh NC home.

When all was done, all were within $800 dollars of each other. After taking into consideration the cost of picking up the unit at a distant dealer, we went with the local dealer here. He was a little higher for the unit, but the best price was $400 lower in Ohio. It was basically a wash by the time we were done.

All that said, we were buying the 2019 unit that had just been released from the factory. If you are successful finding a dealer with a 2018, or 2019 on their lot, you may have more negotiating power. The 2020 models will be out very soon.

I hope this is useful! Welcome to the forum, there are a lot of folks here with a lot of knowledge.

CarolinaCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2019, 11:07 AM   #4566

I towed a 2015 2451BHS which is the previous model to the 2455BHS. Perfect for our family of 4 plus a dog.

My former TV was an F150 with 1460lbs payload. You will likely land at +1,000lbs on the hitch or very close to that once you load your RV for a trip and hook up your WD hitch and sway bar. That will leave you with 400lbs payload available which goes very fast if you start with 200lbs for the driver and basic gear. If you carry an adult passenger and two kids in the back you’re already over your payload without any luggage/cargo.

It can be done. I did it several times but it is pushing the limits of the truck, very likely exceeding payload and you will notice it. The limiting factor on 1/2 ton trucks is always payload, NOT towing capacity.

I traded the F150 for a 2019 Superduty F250 6.2L with 3,100lbs payload and a longer wheelbase (6.75’ bed vs. 5.5’ bed on the F150). Haven’t towed the RV yet but I have more than enough payload, twice the towing capacity I need, a 2.5” hitch with a 4” drop, leveled the front of the truck 2.5” and replaced the FX4 (Rancho) suspensión with Fox 2.0 IFP Performance shocks. Now I can tow the RV and haul the 600lb quad in the bed at the same time.

Speaking of RV, our 2015 2451BHS is up for sale for $12,000. We are in CT and don’t use it much (only once in 2018) so I’m looking to sell it or trade it in for a toy hauler.

WM2451BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:40 PM   #4567

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCats View Post
BobChill, you may have some negotiating power, but don't expect a lot. We bought our 2019 26RBSS in March last year. I compiled the specs of the unit (there is some variation) and priced several dealers within 500 miles of our Raleigh NC home.

When all was done, all were within $800 dollars of each other. After taking into consideration the cost of picking up the unit at a distant dealer, we went with the local dealer here. He was a little higher for the unit, but the best price was $400 lower in Ohio. It was basically a wash by the time we were done.

All that said, we were buying the 2019 unit that had just been released from the factory. If you are successful finding a dealer with a 2018, or 2019 on their lot, you may have more negotiating power. The 2020 models will be out very soon.

I hope this is useful! Welcome to the forum, there are a lot of folks here with a lot of knowledge.
Your post basically sums up my entire shopping experience so far with prices. lol. I can't find a preowned 2016 or 17 anywhere within 800 miles of my house and the ones that do go on the market sell fast. Demand for preowned is definitely there. Looks like we're going brand new... I can live with the depreciation hit because it's a perfect trailer for us for the next 5 years. I'll deal with resale sometime down the road.

I found a 2019 2455bhs on the lot within an hour drive and looked at it recently. Great trailer with 15kAC and 30lb tanks but we couldn't agree on price. Dealer gave me his honest (I believe it) lowest price but would not throw in anything extra (not even hoses or adapters etc). It's been sitting on his lot for more than 6 months and $24,700 was all I could get him down to (MSRP $33k+/-) and there was a $350 fee on top + setup charges for the WDH. The deal just didn't feel right. I'm a big believer in trusting my gut.

I think I've found the best deal I can get from an RV dealer further away (100 miles). The original one I was interested in on his lot had a deposit on it already. Price was $24,630 and the trailer had 15k AC, 30lb tanks, and extreme weather package (fancy name for extra insulation on a trailer that is still not 4 season). However, there are 2 built and ready to ship at the factory with the same upgrades and offered the same price $24,630 + $134 for out of state temp tag (I'll pay my State sales tax when I get tag/title work done). No other fees and will install and set up my WDH hitch for no charge and throw in a power adapter and tank hoses. Looks like an apples to apples $1,200 difference in price but I'll also get the extreme weather package included. Pretty solid deal compared to the previous dealer.

I really wanted to keep my all in price at $20k but it's impossible with the model I want. The security of brand new and full year warranty softens the blow. The dealer I'm likely buying from has amazing reviews for service and sales practices and I really like the no games price negotiation. It all feels "right" when the other dealer never did.

Quick question... Do you or anybody know if the "extreme weather" package makes any notable difference or is it just marketing? Both trailers at the factory have it so I'm getting one with it whether I want it or not. It will make a difference on resale if I had to guess. Some people love little things like that.
BobChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:06 PM   #4568

It should help keep the trailer warmer when it gets cold, so in that sense yes it will a difference. Really depends on what their "extreme weather" package actually does. Is it just enclosing the bottom of the trailer with that foam board? or actually adding insulation and heating your tanks etc.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:32 PM   #4569

You really need to know the details on the extreme weather package as it could be for double paned windows, heated tanks, and extra insulation. Double pane windows and heated tanks would be very helpful when camping in colder temps.

Edit: So I just tried to get info on the package at the Winnebago web site. Wow....I can't find a description anywhere, which is either somewhat stupid or a means for Winnebago to keep folks uninformed but charge a premium. Don't get me wrong....I was a very happy 2014 2201DS owner, but you would think any reputable company would explain EXACTLY what the optional extreme weather package includes. On the owners forum, there is some indication that it includes enclosed underbelly with heat, added insulation in walls and double pane windows. But why should that info be so hard to find????
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:49 PM   #4570

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
You really need to know the details on the extreme weather package as it could be for double paned windows, heated tanks, and extra insulation. Double pane windows and heated tanks would be very helpful when camping in colder temps.

Edit: So I just tried to get info on the package at the Winnebago web site. Wow....I can't find a description anywhere, which is either somewhat stupid or a means for Winnebago to keep folks uninformed but charge a premium. Don't get me wrong....I was a very happy 2014 2201DS owner, but you would think any reputable company would explain EXACTLY what the optional extreme weather package includes. On the owners forum, there is some indication that it includes enclosed underbelly with heat, added insulation in walls and double pane windows. But why should that info be so hard to find????
Strange that it's cryptic right? The dealer I'm going to buy from said he would get exact details from his factory rep. I'll post the details once I find out tomorrow. He did say the extra insulation is in roof/walls/floor and not just a gimmick. I highly doubt it's double pane windows though. Would be nice but unlikely.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:03 PM   #4571

I got the answer for the extreme weather package. It's on the second to last page of the latest brochure. There is a layer of thermofoil that reflects heat in both directions so summer sun/heat is deflected outward and winter heat inside the trailer is reflected inwards. Hard to say how effective it is without R values though. Could be more gimmick than science. Hard to say.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:30 AM   #4572

When I purchased the Minnie, I always thought that Winnebago was missing an opportunity by not offering a true winter package that would come close to making the Minnie line a good alternative to a 4 season trailer such as those made by Arctic Fox/Northwood. And, if they had a package that really made a big difference, any company would want to promote it with full details.

If their winter package doesn't include dual pane windows, they're missing the point as one of the biggest problems with single pane windows is the condensation in cold weather. Yes, keeping a vent slightly open and using the vent when cooking, etc. does help. But now that I have a MH with dual pane windows, there's no comparison. Not only do you avoid the condensation, but they also reduce the sound level.

Due to our move to a 55+ community where I really can't or have the room for a 3/4 o4 1 ton truck, we made the move to a MH. Otherwise, I may have considered springing for a nice Arctic Fox trailer or comparable Northwood model. The Minnie line of trailers is nice, but if you really want a 4 season trailer, I think you have to look elsewhere.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:33 PM   #4573

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobChill View Post
Quick question... Do you or anybody know if the "extreme weather" package makes any notable difference or is it just marketing? Both trailers at the factory have it so I'm getting one with it whether I want it or not. It will make a difference on resale if I had to guess. Some people love little things like that.
BobChill, We have the "extreme weather package" on ours, and it is basically a reflective foil wrap, as was said in an earlier post. Note the price for it as an option, it is not that much...

It does NOT include double pane windows. I ordered the double pane windows when we got ours. Between the two, it definitely made a difference from our former Minnie Winnie. One of the things I really noticed was how much quieter it was inside when parked near a highway or other noise.

While in Alaska this past summer, there were some very chilly nights, and we were able to keep it warm using a small electric space heater cycling off and on.

I wish it was a "true" four season camper, but I am not likely to be in it when it's well below freezing. The coldest it got while we were on the trip was in the 20's, and we were fine.
CarolinaCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 12:14 PM   #4574

Put a deposit on a new 2455bhs last week. It's still at the factory but we're in no rush to take delivery considering it's still winter. Should be bringing it home within the next 3 weeks. Our family is very excited about exploring with a travel trailer instead of hauling ungodly amounts of stuff in my truck to go tent camping. Don't get me wrong... we love tent camping but man is it a lot of work to pull off a trip.

I do have 1 question that I'm getting conflicting answers on about backup camera prep. I called Winnebago and gave them my VIN and they said it "should" have camera prep but the dealer said they don't think it does. Does anyone here has a TT with camera prep and if so, what exactly does it include? I have a Furrion wireless camera setup. I'm hoping it's plug and play. Not a deal breaker because the mod itself is easy to install without prep out of the factory.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:49 PM   #4575

Sorry, can't help with the trailer camera setup, that's what my wife is for. ;-)

I do love my camera on my F-150 though. It has a zoom so I can place the ball correctly first time, every time.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:12 PM   #4576

I think you'll find that the trailer backup camera is of minimal use. Much better to have a spotter. I wouldn't pay extra for one. However the backup camera on my truck is worth its weight in gold.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:38 PM   #4577

I have a 2019 2455BHS with the camera prep. It's just a plastic cover with a wire behind it tapped to the trailer lights. It supports a wireless camera.
aweaver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 06:09 PM   #4578

There's an advantage to wiring one in yourself. You can power it off of the running lights and then you can have it on while driving or anytime it's needed. I did it that way when I had a Minnie 2201DS and the camera was very handy when navigating heavy traffic as well as backing up for any reason. I went with a wireless system and, at times it would black out due to interference. For that reason, I would suggest going with a wired system.

Tags
winnebago