Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2016, 04:21 AM   #1359

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridge-fl View Post
How many people? My wife and I can get by with a 25 gal grey water tank for 3 days.

Mike
2 adults and 2 kids
WM2451BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2016, 05:42 AM   #1360

Quote:
Originally Posted by WM2451BHS View Post
One question I have: The campgrounds we are visiting on Memorial Day weekend did not have a spot with sewer. Will I have to dump grey water tank (41 gal) halfway through our stay? What do you guys do? Just hook up the trailer and stop by the dump station?

Thanks in advance for your help
If memory serves me correctly, our grey tank is only 25 gallons and we can go 6 days without dumping if we are very careful on water usage. No showers with the water on the whole time. Turn it on, get wet then turn it off. Soap up then turn it on and rinse. You should be fine. For washing dishes, we collect the first bit of cold water flowing from the faucet in a clean bowl, then use it later to rinse the soap off the dishes. I'm no good at that part so my dear wife does the dishes when we need to conserve tank space. Enjoy your new Minnie.
minniesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:56 AM   #1361

We bought a Honey Wagon (poo caddy or whatever you want to call it) to help keep tanks under control.

It's a fine line with the black tank, because you really need to use a lot of water on flushes. Too much solid/paper and not enough water is a very bad stew that will come back to haunt you at the dump station when you pull the valve and nothing happens.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:38 AM   #1362

Quote:
2 adults and 2 kids
Assuming Navy showers, you should be fine. In the long run I would also consider the advice you getting here; Get a tote and learn to be smart about usage. Navy showers, washing dishes in a pan and dumping the pan in the toilet, etc.

Have a great trip.
Mike
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 05:37 AM   #1363

Thanks for all the useful advice. I'll get a tote n' store.

One other doubt I have: When camping at a spot with sewage do I leave the grey and black tank dump valves open or do I accumulate waste water in tanks and dump only when full?
Old 05-13-2016, 08:18 AM   #1364

Quote:

One other doubt I have: When camping at a spot with sewage do I leave the grey and black tank dump valves open or do I accumulate waste water in tanks and dump only when full?
Make sure the tote is a 4 wheeled version. They get might heavy with 25-30 gallons.

You can leave the gray open, but leave the black closed.
If you leave the black open, all the liquid will drain out and the solids will form a pyramid.
And that, my friend, is no holiday.

Dump the black when full in one shot. Then always add about 5 gallons of water to the black tank.

Also, it's a good idea to let the gray tank fill partially up before dumping the black so you can use that to flush out the hose. Make sense?
Old 05-13-2016, 09:26 PM   #1365

Hey All! I've been missing in action since last August!!! I won't do that again, as I spent most of yesterday reading all 1,364 posts and making notes! Whew!!
Everything is about the same, except we now tow with a F150. When last I left you, our air conditioning wasn't working and we had some water under the couch and flowing into the bathroom. After getting a quote from a mobile service man (we were parked in a stationary spot), we decided to order the a/c and install it ourselves. Was not a hard job, and glad we chose that route. The service guy never did figure out what was causing the leak. He thought our slide was not high enough to be covered well by the top seal, so he tried to raise the slide up--about gave me a heart attack! We'll have to look into now,that it is unwrapped. I do think we'll check into the boot around the antenna (idea I read on here yesterday).

The camper is no longer on the stationary lot, husband retires on July 8, so we hope to get some moving camping in. QUESTION: anyone have any idea how to make the jackknife couch more comfortable for sleeping? I have painful feet, restless leg syndrome, and leg cramps--so I need my own sleeping space. ☹️

Vickie
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:33 PM   #1366

Quote:

ALWAYS keep the black water valve closed. Only open it when it is almost or totally full. Otherwise every time you flush you will leave the solids in the tank and the water will go down the sewer leaving a mess in the tank. OK to leave gray water valve open. I leave gray open but the day before we move I close it to fill it up. Flush black water, then open gray water to clean out sewer line.
Earl E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:54 AM   #1367

This makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the advice. I had a 2-wheeled tote in my cart. I'll look for a 4-wheeled version.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:22 AM   #1368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vickie View Post
The camper is no longer on the stationary lot, husband retires on July 8, so we hope to get some moving camping in. QUESTION: anyone have any idea how to make the jackknife couch more comfortable for sleeping? I have painful feet, restless leg syndrome, and leg cramps--so I need my own sleeping space. ☹️

Vickie
Unfortunately those things are basically uncomfortable. You can spend big bucks and buy a more comfortable one or maybe get a foam topper that you can use when it is down and store it on the bed when in the couch position. Could you also get a piece of narrow foam that you could lay in the fold when it's down and then put the foam topper on top of that? We use one on our rock hard bed and it makes it very comfortable. Think we bought it a Wal-Mart.
Earl E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 12:54 PM   #1369

We bought a 1 1/2" foam topper at Walmart for about $79. We put it on the rock hard queen mattress and it made all the difference. Still firm but pretty comfortable.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:59 PM   #1370

Took first trip of the season....all well but for one thing. Water heater. Last year, all year, the water heater worked fine. We could nearly scald ourselves with hot water alone flowing from any tap. No more. Warm, but nothing near hot let alone scalding (and yes scalding is not good for most situations, but worked fine for us -- no children or elderly in our trailer). Any ideas? I cannot find an adjustable thermostat (not that there may not be one).....I tried electric alone, gas alone, and both at the same time -- no difference, same temp. Anything I can do before I call the dealer? 3 weeks left on my 1-year warranty......Oh '15 2101 FBS w/ six gallon water heater.
ampmtnbkr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:39 AM   #1371

The very same thing happened to us in our 2013 2101FBS! It turned out to be a valve we failed to turn when de-winterizing the camper for the first time. I just asked DH and he's alittle fuzzy on the details from 2 years ago, but he said it was a line between the hot and cold lines that needed to be switched back. After that, no problems. Hope this helps--maybe someone can jump in who knows more about what I'm trying to say!!!

Vickie
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:34 AM   #1372

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampmtnbkr2 View Post
Took first trip of the season....all well but for one thing. Water heater. Last year, all year, the water heater worked fine. We could nearly scald ourselves with hot water alone flowing from any tap. No more. Warm, but nothing near hot let alone scalding (and yes scalding is not good for most situations, but worked fine for us -- no children or elderly in our trailer). Any ideas? I cannot find an adjustable thermostat (not that there may not be one).....I tried electric alone, gas alone, and both at the same time -- no difference, same temp. Anything I can do before I call the dealer? 3 weeks left on my 1-year warranty......Oh '15 2101 FBS w/ six gallon water heater.
Like Vikie said, there are three valves at the water heater.
1 turns off water into heater (blue)
2 turns off water out of heater (red)
3 is the bypass valve for when 1 and 2 are closed for winter.

I guess 3 is still open. Not a risk of anything, just allows 90% of the water to bypass and only a trickle of hot to come out.

Simply make sure that valve is closed and the other two are open.
You definitely don't want to turn in heater if it is dry!

Tags
winnebago