Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2021, 02:41 PM   #1

Winnebago Minnie Winnie 31k floor joist spacing

Does anyone have any idea what the floor joist spacing is in a 2015 Minnie Winnie 31K? I have a flex in my subfloor at a seam and want to secure it. Also, which way do the joists run; side-to-side or front-to-back? Any other ideas would be welcome.
Mark
WORKSMARTMLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2021, 02:47 PM   #2

Try this site for diagrams...

https://www.winnebago.com/owners/owner-resources
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 03:31 PM   #3

I had the same issue in my 2014 Itasca 31K (bought in March 2013). My issue was around the sink area. My MH was just about a year old when Itasca/Winnebago allowed me to bring the unit to a local metal fabrication shop where they installed 4 steel cross pieces between the frame rails. They reimbursed me for the cost of the (fix).

Another 31K owner posted on this site or another RV site, a number of years ago, about the same issue. In his case he had ripped up part of the flooring and discovered there was no support at the seams of the subfloor, whichever way they run.
Old 10-09-2021, 06:56 PM   #4

Worksmartmlj, you can contact the support people at Winnebago, explain your problem, and request drawings for your floor assembly. They have helped me several times in the past. It may take them a week or two to email the PDF drawings however.
Old 10-10-2021, 01:06 PM   #5

I want to clarify the post I made yesterday. I was under my MH today changing the engine oil. I looked at the cross braces which were added to support my sagging floor. They are attached to the framework that Itasca/Winnebago built to support the MH floor, not the chassis frame rails, (which wouldn't have helped the problem at all).

If you go under your MH and it's built anything like mine, you'll find an unsupported seam (other than a few cross braces) running down the centerline of the MH. It's amazing to me that after all their years of building RVs they would build something that way.

Here's a few (blurry) pics - one showing how the braces are attached , the others looking down the centerline of the MH toward the rear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brace 1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	345679   Click image for larger version

Name:	brace 2.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	345682  

Click image for larger version

Name:	brace 3.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	345683  
Old 10-22-2021, 05:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
I want to clarify the post I made yesterday. I was under my MH today changing the engine oil. I looked at the cross braces which were added to support my sagging floor. They are attached to the framework that Itasca/Winnebago built to support the MH floor, not the chassis frame rails, (which wouldn't have helped the problem at all).

If you go under your MH and it's built anything like mine, you'll find an unsupported seam (other than a few cross braces) running down the centerline of the MH. It's amazing to me that after all their years of building RVs they would build something that way.

Here's a few (blurry) pics - one showing how the braces are attached , the others looking down the centerline of the MH toward the rear.

The floor is a pre-formed stress skin panel and typically they can span great distances with just a cross brace up to every 10 to 15 feet going across the seams running the length of the panels if the foam core is thick enough (2 inches or greater) and more frequently with a thinner core however seams going across the short joints typically will need to be supported especially if they are not staggered. My knee jerk reaction is that when the panels were manufactured the glue spreader was partially clogged or otherwise malfunctioning, temperature was not being maintained, glue was off on its formulation/old, core/skin was contaminated or press rolls were not set correctly to get a good bond when they extruded the panels.

When the stress skin panel is defectively manufactured on a motor home or trailer floor you have two basic choices which is add more cross braces or replace however replacing an entire stress skin floor panel requires removing everything above the floor and basically involves re-manufacturing the entire RV. You can try cutting out de-laminated sections and bonding in new materials however that can be a roll of the dice and an iffy proposition.
Old 10-23-2021, 11:40 AM   #7

Sagging Floor

Thanks for all the ideas to fix my Minnie Winnie 31k sagging floor at the plywood seam. I fixed the problem by fitting a 2x4 from front to back (on edge) and screwing it from the top. I put in 3 supports. I did remove the linoleum to make sure there wasn't any water damage causing the sagging problem. Now I'll replace that with vinyl plank flooring.
WORKSMARTMLJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago, floor