Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2020, 05:40 AM   #1

Winnebago - Newmar - Tiffin Comparison

I am not familiar with Winnebago and actually didn’t consider one for our first coach because I had seen a lot of discussion about the windshield frame rust, and since we live near the ocean went a different route. We currently are the second owner of a pampered gas Newmar and have had it for six years.

We are now in the market to update to a newer DP. As much as I like a lot of things about the Newmar and its construction, the interior just doesn’t feel “homey”. Friends of ours have Tiffins and the interior design just feels welcoming when you go in. As a result we were looking for a Tiffin Phaeton.

This past winter, another of our friends bought an Itasca Meridian and when we went to see it, it had a very homey and welcoming feel like we found in the Tiffin. It also seemed to have an abundance of storage and was very well thought out. We have since found a couple of Itasca Meridians/Winnebago Journeys that we really like.

Being unfamiliar with Winnebago, I have been watching the factory tour videos and other reviews trying to get information.

I was hoping to get some input from owners on potential known issues, things to watch for, etc. Also, I love the slide mechanism that Newmar uses, but both Tiffin and Winnebago use the Schwintek mechanism which I have read is problematic. Is that the case?

Thanks for any information, this will be our last coach and I am hoping to make an informed decision.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2020, 06:32 AM   #2

From what I can 'read into your post" you're trying to compare your 15 year old gas engine coach with much more modern and up to date diesel pushers. owned by your friends.
May I suggest you try comparing motor homes with like models and year of manufacture .

My previous coach was a 2010 Winnebago Tour It didn't use the Schwintec mechanism but I have no knowledge if their current units use that slide Mechanism
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 08:56 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
We have had 3 Winnies 2 gas and a DP. They were all great. Our last was a '10-11 Journey 40 L, which was the best 75,000 mostly trouble free miles.
We have done all 3 factory tours: Tiffin sounds a horn when it is time to move all the coaches to the next station and someone drives it; at Newmar all are on air jacks and 3 guys can slide a 45' across the floor but Winnebago is on a real assembly line. Lasers mark layouts and it's far and away the most sophisticated
Newmar uses hung wall construction (aluminum studs and bat insulation) they are the quietest and easiest to cool or heat. We might have bought one but Jean didn't care for any of the interiors.
We also went to the Entegra factory (which is very similar to Newmar's) and we both agreed that's where our next coach would come from. See signature!!!
If we were to get another someday it would be an Entegra or a Newmar ( now part of Winnebago). I wouldn't care which.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 09:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
From what I can 'read into your post" you're trying to compare your 15 year old gas engine coach with much more modern and up to date diesel pushers. owned by your friends.
May I suggest you try comparing motor homes with like models and year of manufacture .

My previous coach was a 2010 Winnebago Tour It didn't use the Schwintec mechanism but I have no knowledge if their current units use that slide Mechanism

Newmar hasn’t changed their slide drive system since mine was built.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
Newmar uses hung wall construction (aluminum studs and bat insulation) they are the quietest and easiest to cool or heat. We might have bought one but Jean didn't care for any of the interiors.

This is how we feel as well. The only way I can describe the interior is they are very sterile. I just don’t think they feel homey at all.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:52 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm a Winnebago owner and all I can say is that when looking at DPs the 2015 to 2018 models were peak times for Winnebago design and build quality.

In 2015 Winnebago purchased Country Coach in Junction City, OR. It had closed during the 2008 Recession. At first there were rumors they were going to rehire everyone and start building new Country Coach RVs. BUT... instead they decided to move all Class A DP production to Oreagon to free up space at their main factory in Iowa.

At the time, WBGO had an inexpensive DP, the Forza, and then the Journey, Tour and Grand Tour DPs. They also had a sister line of Itasca's with names like Meridian, Horizon and Eclipse.

Along with the DP move to Oregon, they discontinued the Itasca line entirely in 2018. WBGO did keep the inexpensive Forza in production in Iowa and it is a low cost, lower quality DP still.

The move to Oregon did not go well. WBGO spent $50 million on the move. To launch in Oregon they created the new 2019 Winnebago Horizon DP. It's totally different interior was a big hit but difficult to get going. It's very European in design and the interior cabinetry was imported from Italy, even. The RV won RV of the Year in 2019. Many loved it but in creating it at the new old CC factory they stopped production of the Journey, Tour and Grand Tour.

This left Winnebago with the brand new Horizon - made in Oregon and the lowest cost DP in the lineup the Forza still made in Iowa. And, now, today those are the only two models of WBGO DPs available new from the brand.

As soon as 2020 WBGO discovered the error of their ways. They closed the Oregon factory (kept it as a service center) and announced the move back to Iowa for DP models. (And, then Winnebago purchased Newmar from the Miller family, too.)

Only, now they needed to build a new addition to the Iowa factory AND find new employees in small, small town Forest City, IA. So, no new 2020 DPs and no new 2021's announced as of yet.

Before closing the Oregon factory they did a mass build of the modern Horizon DPs and pushed them out to dealers nationwide. Those are out at the bigger dealers and in many cases there are 2 to 4 on each larger dealers lots - and prices are very discounted. They are beautiful coaches if you like ultra modern interiors. They list in the low to mid $400s but sell in the low $300s.

So, getting back to older WBGO DPs, the final run years made in Iowa are the peak of build quality and good design for those models and there are plenty of happy owners.

Newmar and Tiffin are certainly on par or maby a little better but I think you'll find some great values in those 2014 to 2018 Winnebago DPs.
Old 05-16-2020, 04:43 PM   #7

I have had three diesel pushers.
First was a 2008 Winnebago Journey 39Z. Nice coach kinda but had all kinds of water issues around the slides and it was the worst driving coach of the three even after adding a Safety Steer system (by the way was a major improvement).
I would not own another Winnebago because of my experiences with that coach.
The second was a 2005 Country Coach Affinity 45’ coach. By far the best handling of the three and the highest quality of the three. I just wasn’t happy with the floor plan and it would have been cost prohibitive to change.
The third is a 2015 Newmar Essex 4553 that we gave only owned a little over two months but we lived in it for that period. Outside of some minor repairs that the previous owner and the dealer didn’t take care of I think it is a very nice coach.
Personally out of the coaches available the only two I would look at is either the Newmar or the Entegra. What ever you buy make sure you like the way it handles in the wind and show it drives in general. Second it must have a floor plan you are happy with. Either of these two items will make you not want to use the coach. I personally wouldn’t buy any Motorhome without a tag axle, they drive and handle considerably better. My two cents worth of experience.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:15 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Hello again "vettenuts",
I second what "creativepart" said, and said very well I might add![emoji106]
I commented on the WGO slide mechanisms on the other thread, but I would add.....Newmar is using (since 2016) a new full wall slide mechanism designed with HWH of Moscow Iowa. It is used on all diesels except the Kountry Star and the Ventana (still original design), unless they've upgraded the Ventana to the HWH design for 2021......I'm not sure at the moment, someone will have to fact check that.
Anyway, I've always said the Ellipse/Tour, Journey/Meridian coaches of the years mentioned and really, back to 2012, are underrated regarding value for the dollars spent, practicality of design, quality and function etc. I found several amenities on my Ellipse which were identical to others, but, I'd have to spend a ton more money to get it. Like messaging driver/co-pilot seats. Some brands don't offer that until you get to nearly the top of their lineup....hundreds of thousands more. Just sayin', a bang for the buck example.
Not sure what floorplan it was you're looking at I forget. My, and I think "creativepart" also 42QD is a very livable design, not a bad seat anywhere, and roomy too.
I think the Meridian also has very close to the same basement height. Lots of real usable cargo space.
Hope this has been additionally helpful, good luck with your decision, keep us posted![emoji4]
P.S- I have done a fair amount of studying on the Tiffin Allegro Bus 45OPP. I think this is also a fine coach for a lot of the same reasons I like the Tour/Ellipse, and the models you're considering. I will save that for another post, perhaps tomorrow.... (getting late)[emoji2]
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 11:57 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Words of wisdom. 99% of the time all you are going to hear about on these sites are problems. Every now and then will someone complain about how well their MH, TT, or even car/truck has had no problems. Yes there are some that you might want stay clear of, that is unless they have been upgraded. But there are a lot out there with the same equipment that don't have the issue because they did it right the first time.
My advise is find the floor plan you like and see if more than one MFG does the same or vary similar and then compare those to each other.
There are Pros and Cons to all of the various slides, it also depends on what chassis it is on and how big a slide it trying to move.
Good luck and don't give up hope.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I'm a Winnebago owner and all I can say is that when looking at DPs the 2015 to 2018 models were peak times for Winnebago design and build quality.

In 2015 Winnebago purchased Country Coach in Junction City, OR. It had closed during the 2008 Recession. At first there were rumors they were going to rehire everyone and start building new Country Coach RVs. BUT... instead they decided to move all Class A DP production to Oreagon to free up space at their main factory in Iowa.

At the time, WBGO had an inexpensive DP, the Forza, and then the Journey, Tour and Grand Tour DPs. They also had a sister line of Itasca's with names like Meridian, Horizon and Eclipse.

Along with the DP move to Oregon, they discontinued the Itasca line entirely in 2018. WBGO did keep the inexpensive Forza in production in Iowa and it is a low cost, lower quality DP still.

The move to Oregon did not go well. WBGO spent $50 million on the move. To launch in Oregon they created the new 2019 Winnebago Horizon DP. It's totally different interior was a big hit but difficult to get going. It's very European in design and the interior cabinetry was imported from Italy, even. The RV won RV of the Year in 2019. Many loved it but in creating it at the new old CC factory they stopped production of the Journey, Tour and Grand Tour.

This left Winnebago with the brand new Horizon - made in Oregon and the lowest cost DP in the lineup the Forza still made in Iowa. And, now, today those are the only two models of WBGO DPs available new from the brand.

As soon as 2020 WBGO discovered the error of their ways. They closed the Oregon factory (kept it as a service center) and announced the move back to Iowa for DP models. (And, then Winnebago purchased Newmar from the Miller family, too.)

Only, now they needed to build a new addition to the Iowa factory AND find new employees in small, small town Forest City, IA. So, no new 2020 DPs and no new 2021's announced as of yet.

Before closing the Oregon factory they did a mass build of the modern Horizon DPs and pushed them out to dealers nationwide. Those are out at the bigger dealers and in many cases there are 2 to 4 on each larger dealers lots - and prices are very discounted. They are beautiful coaches if you like ultra modern interiors. They list in the low to mid $400s but sell in the low $300s.

So, getting back to older WBGO DPs, the final run years made in Iowa are the peak of build quality and good design for those models and there are plenty of happy owners.

Newmar and Tiffin are certainly on par or maby a little better but I think you'll find some great values in those 2014 to 2018 Winnebago DPs.
Spot on!
I just bought my second Winnie.
I feel that for the price you can’t get anything better.
I picked up my new Horizon 42 Q on April 7th in the middle of the virus.
Tiffin & Newmar are excellent too but when you had a nice DP that lasts 13 yrs with minimal upkeep you tend to stay the course.
So I did.
We did this purchase because of a long time plan to buy a new MH at a certain age. Planning this to be my final one.
BTW, living in this MH feels more like living in a modern apartment.
The interior is not the usual MH interior which appealed to us.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:58 PM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to Dsrtrider
diesel coaches

Have you Looked at a Allegro Bus has a lot more features and side radiator. I looked at both and defininetly would go a few extra dollars for the Allegro Bus.
Dsrtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:07 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I studied on the Allegro Bus 45OPP quite a bit, I especially like the 605hp option. I love just about everything about this coach. It even has more basement storage than my Ellipse, even with a side radiator. But there is one thing I don't like, the fire escape. IMO, the window in the bedroom is way too small for just about anyone, and it's way up high on the coach. Additionally, the new egress "hatch" on some of the new ones, (behind the headboard)(!), is not appealing to me either because it's not user friendly, and is too time consuming to get to and operate.....got to get the headboard out of the way first. This is a tough one being a deal breaker or not for me personally....I dunno.
Other than that, the Allegro Bus is a slam dunk, beautiful rig.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:25 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Allegro Bus 45OPP
Forgot to mention, the floor plan is about the only one I personally like as much or more than my current coach.
Well laid out, lots of room, and I like the kitchen on the driver's side. The rear bath is large, shower is large, and.....no step from bedroom to master bath! All one level floor, gotta love that.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:32 PM   #14

I think Newmar is about the only coach with a true escape door but it does not have steps or a ladder and this started in the 2016 model year. Also you would have to go to a London Aire or higher to get the 600 engine. I believe the new Mountain Aire has a 500 but the older models have a 450 as does the Dutch Star.

Tags
comparison, newmar, tiffin, winnebago