Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2022, 08:28 AM   #1

Winnebago Roof Bond Issues? What years, models?

Winne owners. We are on the hunt for our next rig and are considering the 2018-2020 Horizon. I have read and watch videos about certain year Winnebagos where the glue bond between the roof and styrofoam gives way and the ceiling droops down inside the coach. Does anyone know if the 2018-2020 Horizon suffers from the same poor glue bond issue? I did search for this answer, but so far, no one has asked/answered this question. It would be beyond heartbreaking to spend 200K+ on a Horizon and have the ceiling fall in in a few years. From the videos I have watched on Youtube, it is a expensive fix to replace the roof on these rigs that have this glue bond defect. Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2022, 01:03 PM   #2

All I know is azexpert on YouTube says hes not sure if newer models have the issue or not but heís replaced several older roofs. I would stay away from them I donít think its worth the risk.
Old 12-04-2022, 03:25 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_C View Post
All I know is azexpert on YouTube says hes not sure if newer models have the issue or not but he’s replaced several older roofs. I would stay away from them I don’t think its worth the risk.
I just watched his last video again and his recommendation is to examine the roof VERY CAREFULLY of any Winnebago manufactured between 2013 and 2018. He also mentioned that 2018 is just an arbitrary cutoff because he mainly deals with coaches that need work. He specifically stated in his video on 11/25/22 that he isn't aware that Winnebago has changed any of their roof construction techniques so there is a possibility that it may also be a problem beyond the 2018 model year.

Here's a link to that specific video...... https://youtu.be/SPoPwdmrXuU
AveryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 09:47 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I can tell you that my coach does not have any issues with the roof or ceiling panels I've put 30,000 miles on it so far.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 06:57 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
OP is asking about drooping headliner INSIDE the coach. That is a completely different issue from the outside fiberglass peeling off (normally due to poor maintenance, although there were a few years more prone to it than others). Drooping headliner would not require roof replacement!
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 07:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
OP is asking about drooping headliner INSIDE the coach. That is a completely different issue from the outside fiberglass peeling off (normally due to poor maintenance, although there were a few years more prone to it than others). Drooping headliner would not require roof replacement!
Thanks for the responses so far! I'm talking specifically about the glue bond breaking loose between the luan (thin plywood) underneath the outer roof covering and the styrofoam roof insulation. When this bond breaks, it causes the whole ceiling to droop down and rest on the slideout rooms. From the information I've gathered so far, this does require the roof to be replaced as you have to pull the roof and glue new luan to the styrofoam and then put a new roof covering on.

Several references above to the Youtuber AZ Expert and his Winne roof videos. Yes, he is the one that is giving me pause on these coaches.

The DW and I are drawn to the interior styling on the Horizon. It's absolutely stunning and completely different than other other coach we have seen with the exception of the million dollar plus bus conversions.
Old 12-05-2022, 08:09 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Sorry to misunderstand. I have never heard of the problem you describe. The AZ videos I have seen deal w\ damage from the outer fiberglass\film peeling off.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 09:15 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When the interior droop problem first started, there was a lot of speculation about what caused it. Some said the problem showed up more in RVs that sat in heat (think Arizona sun) versus more northernly RVs. Some speculated a change in the adhesive. Don't think it was ever resolved.

For what it's worth, my northern-based '04 RV has never shown a sign of the problem...
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 10:07 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Go on the roof and run a straight edge to see if the roof is failing or it's just the liner inside coming loose.
Old 12-13-2022, 05:57 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Drooping headliner - not exactly correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
After watching numerous AZ Experts video's, a drooping headliner will require a roof replacement. He begins with removal of the filon and plywood. Then he evaluates the condition of the foam. He placed metal supports and refoamed the damaged foam. Then he laid in new plywood, finished with filon. This is done while raising the roof back up from inside to achieve the proper clearances.

I suspect you are referring to just the material hanging down. If the roof is drooping with the headliner, it is a doozie of a fix!
Bobhardy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 06:06 PM   #11

My 2020 Winnebago 42Q is good.
It did have a front cap small leak on the driver's side when I bought it in 2020. they fixed at the factory service. But that’s old news.
Winnie resealed the whole cap. When I was there I had to stay in a hotel because it was cold outside so they let sit inside for 4 days in the warm bay to cure it. They were great.
I have 39,000 miles on mine. Heading to Florida soon for 10 weeks.

Oh one more thing. It’s not a Winnebago thing but it happened
The one side of induction cooktop died at 18 months last January in Florida, Winnie replaced it under warranty. BTW, the Tru Induction people were the biggest jerks, thank God for Winnie. They took care of it.

My 2007 Itasca Ellipse was perfect for the 13 yrs I owned it.
No leak, nothing
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 06:21 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
I am a former Winnebago owner and those videos certainly should give anyone pause. The fact that the structure of the roof is based on the glue between the foam, luan, and fiberglass blows my mind. There are only thin pieces of metal vertically every four feet or so. On my 2010 Vista those metal pieces became visible under the fiberglass with a visible ridge in the roof after four years of ownership. I had been looking to replace it anyway and that was the final piece that moved me to sell it. Other than the roof I think Winnebago makes a pretty good product but they need to redesign that roof. If AZExpert believed in the design, he would not be putting square metal beams across for support on the coaches he repairs, he would just re-glue them and put them back together. I have been watching his videos for a couple of years now and totally trust this guy. I would hire him any time.
Old 12-13-2022, 08:49 PM   #13

2013 to 2018.... does this suggest my 2003 is not a worry or does it mean AZ doesn't work on anything this old?
dick
Old 12-13-2022, 11:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspaz View Post
The fact that the structure of the roof is based on the glue between the foam, luan, and fiberglass blows my mind.
The concept is not a problem, that is how the newest fighter jet wings are built. The problem is the quality of foam and glue. Technically if done right, it is stronger than a framed roof. But that is the catch "if it is done right". Of course the fighter jet is carbon fiber, which is much more rigid, so it doesn't flex or move around. Boats are often foam core laminate. As long as it doesn't get wet, it makes a very strong structure that lasts for years.

Tags
roof, winnebago