Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2017, 12:23 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I also think (hope) WBGO and others have learned something regarding the Schwintek disaster. I've said before, buy components that you can't break (on the front end). Don't bother with junk that costs less. It will cost double or more later (at the tail end). Can you imagine what it's cost to fix all these units in and out of warranty? Now there's your price increase being now discussed in another thread here.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2017, 11:17 AM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
I also think (hope) WBGO and others have learned something regarding the Schwintek disaster. I've said before, buy components that you can't break (on the front end). Don't bother with junk that costs less. It will cost double or more later (at the tail end). Can you imagine what it's cost to fix all these units in and out of warranty? Now there's your price increase being now discussed in another thread here.
I don't know about testing mechanical things but kind of assume it is like building and testing software.

Engineer designs the appliance given a set of criteria which also includes cost and weight limitations. Also includes a set of installation specifications and tolerances.

Manufacturer installs appliance within or close to tolerances.

Buyer picks up the unit and then loads the stuffing out of every cupboard and space. While this is an RV the wife wants to have the same amenities as at home so we have a corel service for 8, dishes stacked on dishes, several heavy casserole dishes (cast iron covered by enamel) in varying sizes for different dinner possibilities, glass wine glasses and tumblers, a dozen ceramic coffee cups collected at various places. And this is just one cupboard. The pantry is loaded and stacked so you can just get the doors closed if stuff is organized carefully, the wardrobes are packed. You get the picture I bet.

Add that to the owner wants to open the slides to gain access to a drawer and decides that the coach is level enough to open the slide without leveling so proceeds to do so.

Then something goes wrong. Manufacturing defect is quickly claimed.

While this is not generally what happens I suspect that in many cases owner abuse has contributed to the demise of the equipment.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:31 AM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree, well said. A lot of times our own human ignorance, (being innocent or negligence), takes form in the failure of a device. Yup, lack of knowledge of how it properly operates, or proper care of it, will likely break it.

W.D.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:41 AM   #46

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
There probably is a niche for higher costing coaches with better quality control and customer service. One of the problems is many/most buyers don't know what they're getting in to. They see 2 or three coaches that "look" the same MOL and get the cheaper one. Right now I suspect pretty much everyone having anything to do with MH's are making lots of money. General Motors really only got the wake up call after sales were down.
There is, look at Prevost, Newell, Foretravel, Country Coach, Beaver, Holliday Rambler.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:49 AM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
There is, look at Prevost, Newell, Foretravel, Country Coach, Beaver, Holliday Rambler.
We all know that you can spend 500k to 1+ and have a better chance at a successful purchase.

I guess I'm talking about a 150-200k unit that only offers size/amenities comparable to other 100-150k MH's. You would pay extra for the known quality. Not sure if that makes sense or not. Maybe similar to American vs. Japanese cars of the 80's.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:55 AM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Couple years ago met a fellow and his wife at a camp ground in Pomona. They had a brand new Marathon coach. He was livid when I asked him how he liked it. He started listing deficiencies and said his next stop was to return the coach to the factory.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:33 PM   #49

My Winnebago is pure junk!
Murphsfromaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:04 PM   #50
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphsfromaz View Post
My Winnebago is pure junk!
X2. For DW and I, after six months of down time out of 18 months of ownership, that is the best way to describe it without going into a lot of detail!
Old 10-21-2017, 07:55 PM   #51

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Yup. And who says you have to buy new, buy a used one of these that is in your price range..AFTER you have it FULLY inspected by someone who is well versed in that make and model...
Look at the original coach price of a prospective unit for each mfg. And then look at the price they command @ 10 or 15 years.
(NOT NADA prices but the actual prices asked ..Dealers prices/RTV prices/E-Bay and so on..reason being that there are fewer of these brands coming up for sale as fewer were built as compared to the "Mega Mfg's. And NADA is literally throwing darts at the wall trying determine the true value as very very few are for sale at any given time so they have little to nothing to compare with.
Those that lose the least amount of value normally are the better built coaches.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:02 PM   #52

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Couple years ago met a fellow and his wife at a camp ground in Pomona. They had a brand new Marathon coach. He was livid when I asked him how he liked it. He started listing deficiencies and said his next stop was to return the coach to the factory.
Marathon is built on a Prevost chassis, I lumped all of the conversion coaches under "Prevost" since there are more than just Marathon building on Prevost chassis.
My parents had a Foretravel, probably should have bought it when they quit RV'ing.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:46 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Marathon is built on a Prevost chassis, I lumped all of the conversion coaches under "Prevost" since there are more than just Marathon building on Prevost chassis.
My parents had a Foretravel, probably should have bought it when they quit RV'ing.
Yup - hindsight is always better.

Just saying that price does not guarantee quality. You may get better materials but the custom conversions are dependent upon the same third party suppliers the mainstream manufacturers use.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:14 AM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Hi,
Sorry to hear so many of you do not like your Winnebago RV. In my opinion they build a very fine coach and their quality is super.
Just because of the previous CEO decided to change Slide out systems you can not blame the entire coach.

I have had 3 problems with my full wall slide and finally took it Forest City and they replaced the Schwintek system with a Power Gear system on the big slide and it works great.

Winnebago has been repairing Schwintek problems for free even though they are out of warranty, what other company would do that.

As for the company itself, if you have a 1999 or earlier coach and had a crack in your holding tank they have the replacement tank; I bet no other manufacturer can do that.

It is not fair to say Winnebago is no good because of a slideout system, They are super and build a great product and don't forget that they are built by people and not machines as people do make mistakes.

Enjoy your Winnebagos and have safe travels!

You had THREE problems with the Schwintek system before you returned the rig to the factory? Then, they replaced it with another system? Why didn't they use the better system to begin with? I personally would rather pay extra for reliable systems, then the junk they're using to save up front production costs.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:15 AM   #55

Sold our 2016 Vista LX 27N after 12 months and 13,000 miles. Dealers would only give $58,000 on a coach that cost $110,000 new ($136,000 marl). Sold private party last month for $82,000 and feel lucky. Could not trust it for traveling from Seattle to Florida Panhandle. In one year had two trips to factory with four slide repairs, two jack replacement with one being full replacement, full body paint peeling off three times and at least twenty other issues. So happy with our 2004 Horizon 40AD. Now in Florida after traveling 4,000 miles. Not a single issue and a joy to drive.
All of our slide repairs we’re Powergear related. No problems with the one Schwintek slide.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:16 AM   #56

Msrp Sorry

Tags
winnebago