Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2008, 03:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

After scratching the Neptune off the list because of ride complaints, I'm down to the Destination 39N (with bunks), or the Damon Astoria. The Winnebago has the fiberglass roof, steel cage, etc. The Damon has beautiful storage space under the coach and a better layout. What is KILLING me about Winnebago, is that unless I'm missing something, there isn't enough storage in a 39foot class A coach for a bicycle! Their idea of pass through storage appears to be a small slit over a big plastic frame cover. Have you guys found storage space to be a problem? I plan on carrying windsurfer, kayak, and bikes. Thanks!
Old 09-01-2008, 03:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

After scratching the Neptune off the list because of ride complaints, I'm down to the Destination 39N (with bunks), or the Damon Astoria. The Winnebago has the fiberglass roof, steel cage, etc. The Damon has beautiful storage space under the coach and a better layout. What is KILLING me about Winnebago, is that unless I'm missing something, there isn't enough storage in a 39foot class A coach for a bicycle! Their idea of pass through storage appears to be a small slit over a big plastic frame cover. Have you guys found storage space to be a problem? I plan on carrying windsurfer, kayak, and bikes. Thanks!
Old 09-01-2008, 03:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

None of your toys would fit in my Adventurer. There is more than enough storage for clothing, tools, barb-b-qu, and small toys. Even have an unmounted spare in the bin. But for the toys you like, stored inside, you might look at the toy-hauler configurations. Good luck with your search.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 04:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Storage notwithstanding, I have real concerns about Damon quality.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 04:16 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Here is one possible solution.
When we had our 2004 Meridian 36 with storage similar to the Destination, I ended up carrying our two folding bikes in the trunk of our Hyundai Sonata. This option actually worked out pretty well. I also have a friend who carries two kayaks on the roof of his tow car.

Limited storage is one reason why we ended up with a Tour with the true pass-through storage (we are fulltiming now). We have been very pleased with the Winnie quality.

If you tow a car, perhaps you could use it in this manner to solve your storage issues.

Good luck!

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 04:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Traveling with three teenage boys, we have solved the toy dilemma by towing the minivan and using it as a cargo trailer. You can put a 2 inch receiver on the back of the van and slide a Thule 5-bike rack in. The roof racks can hold a canoe or your can put a Kayak rack up there. Short kayaks can go inside and the windsurfer up top.

But remember, the amount of 'stuff' you bring will expand to meet the amount of storage space you have!
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:40 AM   #7
GG1
Winnie-Wise

You can always mount bikes and other toys on the rear of your coach or your toad. Let quality and reputation make your decision not toy storage. If its a tossup between Winnebago or Damon do the research and it will be a no brainer.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:17 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Storage is important, but weight is more important, you need to check the motorhome weight tag.You need to see how munch you can put onboard.Your braking distance is based on weight.
Randy Chesnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:38 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Try to stay with a good quality coach, Tiffin,Newmar,Winny. Damon is not in this class. Then do more research on weight carrying needs. Good luck.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:31 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

A Few years ago my husband and I were condsidering the Journey VS a Newmar Ventanna 3936. We bought the NEWMAR. Mainly because of the deal. It had great storage. I took family on vacation and stored 4 bikes underneath. I do miss it, great quality. However Life changes and I now have a VISTA.
Good Luck in your search
china3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:09 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I realize it's not one of your "picks", but our '05 Winnebago Vectra 36RD has room for several bikes. We have a regular mountain bike (with the front wheel removed) stored in the main port-side compartment, and could put another in there easily.

We could also have 2 or 3 in the slide-out tray on the starboard side. We often carry a Honda Z-50 motorcycle in there - with the handlebars rotated down.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:52 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

The storage on the new Vectras is completely different. HUGE. I took my mountain bike to the dealer today, and put it inside the Destination 39ft. With the seat post out, it fits through the door and in the space. The 39 foot also has a much bigger pass-through storage area than the shorter MHs I had looked at. I can live with the storage in the Destination, even though it is not near as big as that of the Damon Astoria or HR Neptune. I also got to test drive the Destination/Latitude, and is drove great. MUCH better than the Neptune, and better than the Damon. The new floor plan with bunks doesn't come out until the end of the year. Hopefully I will like the kitchen up front floor plan. If I do, it will be the Destination for me!!
Old 09-03-2008, 08:40 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I have a storage problem, like you, because I like to fish and raft rivers and need all the gear with me. I tow a suzuki SUV. Inside I pack a 6 hp outboard, boat tank and gear, dry bags filled with river camping gear and an 11 foot zodiak inflatable boat rolled up. On top I carry an inflatable cat boat for running white water, roped down on a Thule rack. If you want to really load your toad, get the widest rack, plenty of 3/8" nylon rope and lots of bungies. By storing my toys with the toad, my MH storage is more than adequate.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:41 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

The SUV trick won't work for me because we will be pulling a boat a lot. But, unless I pick up a new hobby, with the fact that bikes fit, I should be o.k. with the storage in a 39ft Destination.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:47 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Sounds good to me, you can put a lot of stuff in a boat too! Happy trails
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote