Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2021, 07:44 PM   #1

Winnebago View

We are considering downsizing from our Vista to a View. Would love to hear from those that have how they like them. Are there any hanlding issues we need to be aware of? They do not have a lot of outside storage how do people deal with this? We are considering a hitch mount cargo box.
sightseers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2021, 07:57 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
My 2017 View (floorplan V) is my 5th motorhome. I love it for it's handling, easy to park, interior layout. Lacks power. I just completed a 6400 mile trip in it.

My wife hates it. No counter space. Uncomfortable bed for her after 5 spine surgeries. Small bathroom sink. Microwave is too high for a 5-4 person.

Thus we still have our 2007 Class A with a sleep number bed, big refrig, roomy kitchen, passenger seat with a leg rest, etc.

I had to do a number of suspension upgrades to the View: Sumo springs, Helwig sway bar, Bilstein shocks to make it more stable.

There's a View/Navion FB page with tons of info.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:47 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I own a 2015 View (V). The bed conversion from two twins to a king was uncomfortable until I added a California King Pillow topper from MyPillow. Now, it sleeps as well as my sticks and bricks bed. I'm 6'4" so it's a little tight but we manage. Have added the Sumos so far which helped. Now considering Bilstein or Fox Agile shocks. I average about 15 MPG at 60 MPH on mostly level terrain. Other than recalls for wheel sensors and emission mods, have had no mechanical issues. My one and only CEL in five years was when the retainer clip holding the turbo actuator to the waste gate lever fell off or broke. After faulty diagnosis by MB, I found the issue myself and repaired it with a $2.12 part!
The biggest negative is the low cargo carrying capacity. At 1,230 pounds, it gets eaten up quickly. Two pax and a full fresh water tank and you are at a max of 600 pounds remaining for other cargo. I travel light with 10 gal of fresh water and try to keep my black/grey tanks at 1/3 level. Unfortunately this is the weak link for most Class Cs except for the Super Cs.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:49 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
We are currently enjoying our third Winnebago View/Navion … bought them all new. First was a 2006 23H, then a 2012 24G, then a 2014 Tiffin Breeze, and now a 2018 24D.

We think this is our “forever” rig, but if push came to shove another View would definitely be in the mix.

Storage of any kind, motorhome or otherwise, is pretty much the same … if you have the space, you’ll fill it. If you don’t, you’ll learn how to make it do.

Good luck with your decision!
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 07:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman76 View Post
The biggest negative is the low cargo carrying capacity. At 1,230 pounds, it gets eaten up quickly.
I think you mean 11,030. AFAIK all the Sprinter heavy chassis' are rated at 11,030. In my Via we barely have 1,000 lbs of CCC. I wish we had 12,030.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:28 PM   #6

I agree with SeeTheUSA, we have no regrets with our ‘19 Navion 24D (exactly like the View). We bought it new and now have over 25000 miles on it. MB notified us of a couple of recalls (rear wheel sensor and another that didn’t apply to us) last year and have since cleared them up. We have been very happy with the fit and finish of our Navion. I assume it was a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday unit. �� One thing you need to consider before buying a Sprinter based RV. Find out where the nearest MB service center is - not the one that services MB cars, the one that services Sprinter based RVs. Call the service center and find out how far in advance you’ll have to reserve to perform scheduled warranty maintenance and weather they will let you come in if you have an urgent dash light on. Mine is an hour and a half away but I have to make a reservation 3 months in advance. I spoke to the MB service chief about it and he said the problem is nationwide. Too few Sprinter service centers and too few Sprinter trained mechanics because of the extent of training MB requires before they’ll approve a center or mechanic. There are a lot of Sprinter work vans and RVs out there. Aside from that, I expect we’ll be keeping our Navion for many years to come.
BlueGekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:14 PM   #7

We have a 2013G with 85,000 miles.

We love the View and the G model with the Queen bed out the back. The only issue we have is the shower is quite small. The View is best for traveling due to size and comfort driving. People who do a lot of traveling and boon docking love them. If you like to go somewhere and sit for days then it might not be the best fit. They are not cheap to run and it is probably a wash on the mileage difference with a Ford chassis. The new D model is very popular and is probably the closest to the old G model. I always say you want to drive a View and park in a Journey. They are coming out with a new Vista 33K that looks very good except the kitchen has two pantry's instead of drawers. There is a about a year wait on a new one now and the used ones are at a premium. We tow a HRV which solves our storage problem. We have added heavier duty sway bars and new Bilstein shocks which solves the swaying going out driveways.
irish65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:32 PM   #8

We went from a 31' Class A (and a different Class A before that) to our 2016 View 24J (corner bed) and love it. Like the floor plan, style, fit & finish. We liked the extra room in the Class A, but found it kind of large to drive in some places - had to be careful in city streets, could not always fit in some parking lots, etc. And crappy fuel mileage. I'm not afraid to take the View anywhere I'd take a decent sized car - any street, any parking lot.
It won't hold as much inside or outside as the Class A's, but it will hold everything we NEED. The over cab bed will take a lot of excess. My wife loves to cook, and does OK with the kitchen by using the dinette table as a temp counter.
As others have said, it needs a shock & sway bar upgrade, but both of our Class A's also needed help. It's a wash. I think it has plenty of power - can cruise at 75 if I choose and still get 14 MPG. 15 MPG on slower roads.
Our camping style is a leisurely drive every day or every other day to a new destination, and the View works well for us. If we were to spend a week or two at every destination, we would want something bigger.
BTW - we have lithium batteries with solar, and dry camp a lot. The smaller rigs are easier to dry camp with, in my opinion.
Hopes all this helps.....
RayJorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 10:34 AM   #9

View thoughts J vs D

Quote:
Originally Posted by sightseers View Post
We are considering downsizing from our Vista to a View. Would love to hear from those that have how they like them. Are there any handling issues we need to be aware of? They do not have a lot of outside storage how do people deal with this? We are considering a hitch mount cargo box.
Last Month I camped next door to a Vista (in Estes Park CO) owner said he wanted to downsize. I never saw him again and was not able to discuss things with him. But, here is what I would have said:

Note: I own a 2018 24J and this is my first RV

1. For my lifestyle, I think I really need to tow an extra vehicle. The hassle of unhooking everything just to make a short road trip takes out the fun. MB limits me to 5,000 pounds, but I really need a truck, so that limits me to the Ford Ranger or the Jeep Gladiator. I have not decided yet.

2. A friend purchased a 2020 24D, and there are many nice features, but I have not been convinced that it is that much better. Less storage areas is one of them.

3. Bed size, this is the primary reason you should consider one model over another. I did the math and measurements, the Little Corner J bed has the same "Usable Width" as the D. The only advantage is the "D" allows both sides easy in and out, and it is easier to make up in the morning. But the D does not have any Usable additional width over the J. Here is the math: J is actually wider then posted, D is actually narrower then posted, then there is the edge of the bed. J Bed Walls allows you to sleep right up to the edge of the bed, D would require you scoot inward a few inches, so your arm does not fall out of the bed. So, add it all up and those extra Ten inches evaporate really quick.
4. Back up Camera: MB thinks you dont need to look backwards and see those big rigs tailgating you when your driving forward, so they removed this feature in the newer Trucks. I dont know is this is some kind of law now, but it is a HUGE MISTAKE. I really like being able to see behind me before changing lanes.

5. Storage and weight hauling. Newer D weighs more and therefore you can haul less cargo. (a few hundred pounds)
6. D upper bunk windows lock with a piece of metal glued onto glass. Glue lets go and windows flop in the wind. Original J sliding window was much better but did not have that "Cool" look either. I will choose functional safety over style every day.

7. D has a bigger bathroom, bigger Fridge, pantry, etc. but master closet is much smaller. We never run out of space in our J closet. That's where we also store our dirty laundry on long trips, D just does not have the room.

8. J has a huge storage under bed with huge access door. Nothing like this at all in the D. I bring big lawn chairs and they only fit in the J.

9. J with Euro springs bed is really comfy, anywhere you lie on it. D bed has a center rail spring mount, forcing you to never sleep in the middle of the bed.
10. D dinette is a bit smaller then the J dinette, (horizontal space is always desired in any RV)
11. D counter top is 4sq greater then J, a nice feature, but we just use the J dinette table for that extra needed space during meal prep.

12. J has two TVs, D has only one.
13. J has a place to mount a stinky Slinky storage tube (next to rear stabilizers, I added this myself) there is absolutely no where to put a stinky slinky storage tube under the D unit. On top of that, the J also has a compartment for an inadequate but functional discharge tube, but this was removed in the D. WB must think you dont need a stinky slinky when you dump either that or they expect you to store it with your cargo stuff (Ick !)

14. Mileage: on a good day I get around 14MPG, but head winds will lower this to 10-13mpg. I think the D is slightly more streamlined, and this might provide better MPG.
15. D instant HW heater is LP gas only, J 6Gal tank allows both ELC and LP, and also both at the same time to restore plenty of HW for that second or third shower. If RV campsite is giving me free ELC, why would I want to use my LP gas.
16. D LP gas tank is smaller, and you will have to use more of it for Instant HW. My J LP tank can last multiple seasons, and my generator is LP as well.
Sven55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 08:12 AM   #10

Yes , its a perfect size for us! It easy to drive and handle and it fits anywhere we go.
We use a cargo bag "Amigo" on a hitch platform for extra storage. We also we two folding bikes (one electric) that fits nicely inside the coach. That's really great for trails and getting around campgrounds. Good luck.
We have a 2011 View Profile.
gomango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 12:16 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Label inside driver's door states:
"Combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 1,230 pounds"
Sailorman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 12:49 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Downsized from a gas 40' Canyon Star to a View

We downsized from a gas 40' Canyon Star to a View. The gas engine in the Canyon Star made it a difficult coach to drive. Underpowered on hills and scary on the downhill. A 40' coach was a lot to deal with. I decided to get a View so it would be easy to drive. We had owned class C's before so maybe the View would be the best answer.

They drive great. It's a little slow on acceleration, but once at speed you just set the cruise control. The transmission shifts were very smooth and it held speed. I normally set the cruise at 63 to 65mph. Used it to tow a small pickup on trips. The pickup allowed extra storage space. One thing to watch on all MB RVs this that they have a very low carrying capacity. The Winnebago View-24V has about the best OCCC compared to it's competition.

Only problem was that we had been spoiled with the extra space in the Newmar. After one 10 day trip, we decided that we had made a mistake and needed something else. We decided to spend the money and get a Tiffin 33AA. It's a 35' diesel pusher. Has the space we needed, great to drive, good power, big towing capacity and the size was not too much to deal with.

Things to understand and research about Mercedes Benz RVs:
-Make sure it has the recent Emissions Fix recall
-Get the rear wheel sensor recall completed before any big trip
-Understand that MB highly recommends a max of 5% biodiesel. Some area's only have 20%. You can still use 20%, but you need to reduce service intervals.

If you are happy with the interior layout of the View, it's a great coach.

Regards, Jerry
Old 10-29-2021, 09:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman76 View Post
Label inside driver's door states:
"Combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 1,230 pounds"
My bad, I thought you were saying GVWR was 12,030. My payload is meager too, can't load up with a bunch of extra stuff that's for sure. Although I see them running down the road with hitch carriers, bikes or a motorcycle on the back, I suspect many are over weight.
Old 10-29-2021, 11:55 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
My bad, I thought you were saying GVWR was 12,030. My payload is meager too, can't load up with a bunch of extra stuff that's for sure. Although I see them running down the road with hitch carriers, bikes or a motorcycle on the back, I suspect many are over weight.
I also think many are overweight! I doesn’t take much to load too much. We always periodically weigh our rig, have done so with all four motorhomes that we’ve owned. We weigh things with toad attached, everything “trip loaded.” The scale results are often quite different than expected … heavier. We try to get “four corner” readings on the motorhome to properly inflate the tires based on actual load. By the way, we try to do this every couple of years, just to be as safe as possible. Actual scale weights have made us lighten our load and properly adjust tire pressures.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
view, winnebago