Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-04-2012, 07:55 AM   #21
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeT View Post
Not a chance. Two of the Diesel's I've owned were Cat C7's. The view easily gets out on the freeway to merge with traffic. Where the C7's poked along like loaded semi's.
If I still had either of them I'd put money on it and make you anti up. My DW laughs at your comment. When we had the C7 we had to take it to a CAT dealer in a nearby because there was a short to the air intake heater. When travelling through a that city (she was following me in her Equinox) she constantly complained on the walkie talkies that I was taking off when the lights changed and leaving her and all the other traffic well behind. The C7 was faster at the bottom end than our ISC but the ISC had more farther up the speedo (the HR weighed much more than the Journey).
Old 07-04-2012, 09:37 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
If I still had either of them I'd put money on it and make you anti up. My DW laughs at your comment. When we had the C7 we had to take it to a CAT dealer in a nearby because there was a short to the air intake heater. When travelling through a that city (she was following me in her Equinox) she constantly complained on the walkie talkies that I was taking off when the lights changed and leaving her and all the other traffic well behind. The C7 was faster at the bottom end than our ISC but the ISC had more farther up the speedo (the HR weighed much more than the Journey).
It seems to me that the only surefire way to settle this was for you two to have a drag race! We could all wager on the results!
Just kidding. So long as it gets you where you want to goi safe and sound is really all that matters, right?
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

As a owner of 3 diesel pushers, the last one being a 400hp Allegro Bus, I can say that I'm very pleased with the performance of the Sprint V6 diesel. True, it's no rocketship, but I can't begin to describe how much easier it is to drive and maneuver in traffic and I go up the hills/mountains just fine.
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #24
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
As a owner of 3 diesel pushers, the last one being a 400hp Allegro Bus, I can say that I'm very pleased with the performance of the Sprint V6 diesel. True, it's no rocketship, but I can't begin to describe how much easier it is to drive and maneuver in traffic and I go up the hills/mountains just fine.
I think you've hit the nail on the head for most of us who are or have downsized. I found that driving a large MH was fine when being done "all the time" but when taking it to Florida and parking it for almost 6 months, driving it again after that long period took time to get used to it and get the feel for the size. That is why we felt the View was ideal when we saw it shortly after it was introduced. Our initial concern was minimal CCC and towing capacity but we think the increase in capacity over the past couple of years has made a bid difference. We could also tow our current Escape with the present version of the View (or equivalent). My only "dislike" is the narrow track - same reason I don't care for the Ford E350.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:15 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
I think you've hit the nail on the head for most of us who are or have downsized. I found that driving a large MH was fine when being done "all the time" but when taking it to Florida and parking it for almost 6 months, driving it again after that long period took time to get used to it and get the feel for the size. That is why we felt the View was ideal when we saw it shortly after it was introduced. Our initial concern was minimal CCC and towing capacity but we think the increase in capacity over the past couple of years has made a bid difference. We could also tow our current Escape with the present version of the View (or equivalent). My only "dislike" is the narrow track - same reason I don't care for the Ford E350.

Do you mean because of handling issues or lack of interior room? Just wondering, I'm not sure what you are referring to pertaining to the "narrow track". I'm guessing you mean that it's "skinny"?
Old 07-06-2012, 07:21 AM   #26
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchase View Post
[/B][/COLOR]
Do you mean because of handling issues or lack of interior room? Just wondering, I'm not sure what you are referring to pertaining to the "narrow track". I'm guessing you mean that it's "skinny"?
Yes, rear track is very skinny. Have a look at a View or any other Sprinter based MH from the rear (Winnie has some good video on its site). The edge of the rear wheels is several inches inside the edge of the body. Look at a Sprinter at a Mercedes dealer and you will find they are flush. I've seen owners report that this does have a negative impact on handling. Remember the Wide Track Pontiac commercials. Whether or not this is a feature that one would reject them on will be individual choice and evaluation.

Winnebago Motor Homes - 2012 View

For comparison - the E450
Winnebago Motor Homes - 2013 Access & Access Premier

The Ford E350 rear end also suffers from this inset or narrow track whereas the E450 rear axle is wide.

Winnebago and Jayco do not use the E350 chassis at all (a Jayco rep told me they never will). Coachmen and Forest River do use the E350 (lower GVWR and lower price).

I can't say that the narrow track on the View would prevent me from buying one but if it also came with a wider track version there is no question in my mind which I'd purchase. I believe the handling would be much better with a wider track. With the current version the body reminds me of saddlebags that hang over the back wheel of a motorcycle.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchase View Post
Was just looking at a 2010 Winnebago IQ today with my wife. It is Chrysler body with a Mercedes diesel engine & transmission. It was very nice and I thought before I jumped into debt by falling in love with this I would post it to this forum in the hopes of getting some honest to goodness input on it. Is it a good model? Is it reliable? Will it be expensive to maintain? ( that is my major concern because Mercedes can be very costly to repair), Is it a joy to own?
I really liked the fact that the sales person said it gets 16 miles to the gallon. Is that true? That sure is important to me.
Any information will be greatly appreciated and mulled over by us before we make our final decision.
Thanks a lot!
Jim
We just returned from a trip out west covering 6000 miles with our 2011 view 24K. We were very pleased with the performance. Not one problem with the unit.. It handled well in the wind, but did have a tendency to sway a bit, but never lost control. Hills were not a problem. One minor detail, in Kansas we were in a high wind area, and as we were on the road, the slide started to move away from the unit. Locked? i thought so. resolved with the brace. so remember to take the brace for the slideout with you. Mileage about 16 mpg towing a 2011 Malibu with blue ox package. For us this is the ideal MH. Easily used in town and shopping centers. Just my two cents.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvguy40 View Post
The pro's to this chassis are that the warranty is great and the engine will go a million miles. The con's are that they're underpowered, even without towing a vehicle, and that 16 mpg in reality will be more in the 12mpg range.... Also, because the wheel stance is relatively narrow for the height they tend to feel top-heavy. I personally am a fan of a bit larger motorhome, just for a performance and handling standpoint.
That assessment can not be based on factual data - probably, more than likely, on anecdotal "evidence" (whatever that is)! Owners of the Winnebago View are reporting mpg readings of 15 to 18. I own one and see 15 to 16, even when driving through mild hilly country. The View does not exhibit any top heaviness. In short - if you read the original post, discount it as something out of fairly land!
Jim_Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #29
Living The Dream

Hey, seriously, any meaningful comparison or discussion of relative power and performance must include at least three basic factors:

- horsepower output
- vehicle weight
- aerodynamic factors

I'd seriously advise anyone considering any particular rig to consider some real data, not subjective chest-thumping.

By the way, we had a 2006 View with the 5-cylinder diesel and towing a car for about six and one half years and loved the performance and efficiency. Earlier this year, we traded for a 2012 Navion with the 6-cylinder diesel --- still tow a car. I typically drive about 65 mph, when legal, of course, and we have enjoyed about 14 to 15 mpg for many, many miles with both rigs. Good WBO quality, great Mercedes reliability.

I have never "drag raced" any other type of motor home, so have no reason or data to tout one over another . . . but it seems senseless, anyway.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:35 AM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
Hey, seriously, any meaningful comparison or discussion of relative power and performance must include at least three basic factors:

- horsepower output
- vehicle weight
- aerodynamic factors

I'd seriously advise anyone considering any particular rig to consider some real data, not subjective chest-thumping.

By the way, we had a 2006 View with the 5-cylinder diesel and towing a car for about six and one half years and loved the performance and efficiency.
Really glad to hear that because we have essentially the same vehicle and I heard that they were "underpowered". So long as we can sensibly tow a compatible vehicle I'll be happy. Right now I'm thinking of just trailering my motorcycle.
Earlier this year, we traded for a 2012 Navion with the 6-cylinder diesel --- still tow a car. I typically drive about 65 mph, when legal, of course, and we have enjoyed about 14 to 15 mpg for many, many miles with both rigs. Good WBO quality, great Mercedes reliability.
Now that's what I was hoping to hear. Our 2008 Navion is untested by us.

I have never "drag raced" any other type of motor home, so have no reason or data to tout one over another . . . but it seems senseless, anyway.
Drag racing my MH is the last thing that I want to do! I used to have a GTO when I was younger. I used to pound it pretty hard and all that got me was expensive repairs!! I learned my lesson!
Old 07-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvguy40 View Post
The pro's to this chassis are that the warranty is great and the engine will go a million miles. The con's are that they're underpowered, even without towing a vehicle, and that 16 mpg in reality will be more in the 12mpg range.... Also, because the wheel stance is relatively narrow for the height they tend to feel top-heavy. I personally am a fan of a bit larger motorhome, just for a performance and handling standpoint.
You, obviously, don't follow the posts at this site and others regarding the handling and fuel efficiency of these Views and Navions! I own a 2012 and its handling is nothing short of AWESUM! Top-heavy? Not hardly!
That 16 MPG, in reality, is in the 16 to 18 mpg, in reality, as attested to by anyone who's posted here as well as other owners that I interact with in the local area.

Underpowered? I've seen several posts where the owner was seeing a drop of .5 to 1 mpg while towing a vehicle that's within the towing range of this rig so I don't get that notion at all. I returned from MI where I purchased mine and drove back on I-70, through the Eisenhower tunnel - a fairly steep incline on the way up........I maintained 55 mph all the way up that grade and was totally satisfied!

Misleading comments such as those, if taking as credible in any part, do such harm to the good name of these vehicles AND steer potential customers away from an excellent vehicle, albeit a smaller footprint!
Old 08-01-2012, 03:30 PM   #32
Winnebago Camper

My wife and I just purchased a 2012 view model M and want to thank all of you for all of the great information that lead us to this decision. We have owned RV's for almost 30 years and have rescently retired with no clue whether to go big or small or somewhere in between. The air matress maybe the biggest challenge.
Jay Million is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:07 PM   #33
Winnebago Camper

You'll love the view/navion

We bought 2012 MBJ in Connecticut. Did go to Flagg but all they had was loaded Navion. We love the view now with 10K. Did Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia and Fingerlakes in NY this summer. No real problems..found local mechanic to work in my yard doing oil/fuel filter change. Heading to Asateque Island to see wild horses in April when I take her out of indoor storage. Happy/safe traveling......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011View1.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	31266  
Old 01-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #34
Winnebago Owner

What a great thread, I want to thank all who have posted to it. You have helped a whole bunch. We just sold our 38 Diesel Pusher and are looking for a 2011, 2012, 2013 24G. I live in California and have not found a dealer here that I would deal with however there is one in Iowa that I am impressed with. Lichtsinn in Forest City... ANY THOUGHTS?
I am especially glad to see that people are towing vehicles. I have a 2011 Colorado 4x4 Crew Cab that I need to get weighed and I hope it is with in the 5000# limits. We will not be towing all the time but it is nice to know I can.... I may try and pick-up a Geo Tracker or something small to tow all the time...

AGAIN THANKS SO MUCH.......
Old 01-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #35
Winnebago Camper

[QUOTE=Horizonchase;1189536]Was just looking at a 2010 Winnebago IQ today with my wife....Is it a good model? Is it reliable? Will it be expensive to maintain? ( that is my major concern because Mercedes can be very costly to repair), Is it a joy to own? I really liked the fact that the sales person said it gets 16 miles to the gallon. Is that true? That sure is important to me.
Any information will be greatly appreciated and mulled over by us before we make our final decision.QUOTE]

We are completing a 5,000 mile trip in our 2012 Vie (note..not a 2010 - a 2012) and are averaging 15+ mpg (close to 16 mpg) AND we are traveling along at around 70 mph! That engine is awesum and a joy to drive!

Two small complaints about the View itself (note that we've only owned it for about six months so "reliability" isn't something we can comment on):

- if you are 6' tall.....be very, VERY careful when inside the rig - double check to ensure your wife/bride hasn't opened one of the cabinets above the kitchen area as you WILL have a nasty knot on your head!

- upon purchasing your View 24G, go out and purchase two sleep sacks! Attempting to make the bed up each morning and then having to adjust the articulated mattress prior to moving the rear slide is a real, REAl PITA!

Other than that...no problems!

Jim R.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:24 PM   #36
Winnebago Camper

Our 2011 MBJ would outrun the V-12 we had in our 2003 Winnie 24V. Quality is great and mileage at 15-16 is real. We've got 15K on ours already and can't wait for New England snow to go..............
Old 01-20-2013, 08:54 PM   #37
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by newviewguy View Post
Our 2011 MBJ would outrun the V-12 we had in our 2003 Winnie 24V. Quality is great and mileage at 15-16 is real. We've got 15K on ours already and can't wait for New England snow to go..............
Where might I ask did you get a V-12?
Old 01-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #38
Winnebago Camper

I have 17k already on my 2012 view m model with no toad at got a high of 18.1 and low of 14.3 averaging 16 mpg at and avg speed of 63 mph. I take cruise off going up the hills and gear down without letting it hit passing gear. Love it better than any coach of eight i have owned, no problems at all. can't wait for spring.
Jay Million is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago