Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2021, 07:06 PM   #1

Winnie Gas tank issue

I hope all the fathers had a great day today.
I'm reaching out to see if i can get feedback on my gas tank for my 2003 Winnebago Journey DL which is 34 ft and has a Cat 330 diesel. On our last trip we experienced our first true travel problem. We apparently had a bad fuel filter which was clogged with debris that really amounted to RUST.
Our coach would not pull the smallest hill and would run decent on level ground.
The Freightliner / Cat Service location did a "Scope of the tank" and it showed rust in the filler tube and I assume that was a contributor to the problem. The camera did not confirm pics of the tank having rust but i'm assuming this was true. The camera did not have enough length to get into the tank.
With that said we changed all the filters ( air and fuel) and the rig runs perfect at this time.
With all that said, I was looking for info on where we can get a new tank or if one is available to replace the Steel tank with Plastic or aluminum.
Thanks very much for your valuable input
Steve and Helen Rosette
2003 Winnie Journey DL with a 2009 Mini Cooper Toad
srosette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2021, 09:26 PM   #2

I would carry a few spare fuel filters and a strap wrench to loosen them. If you are set on removing the OEM fuel tank, consider coating the interior of this one instead of dropping $3-5K on a new custom-made fuel tank and labor.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 05:57 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Keep the tank full all the time. To keep moisture out.
If it's really bad remove the tank, put lots of nut bolts and nails in it. Shake the he'll out of it. Rinse and reinstall. Did this on many motorcycle tanks.
Old 06-26-2021, 03:25 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Keep the tank full all the time. To keep moisture out.
If it's really bad remove the tank, put lots of nut bolts and nails in it. Shake the he'll out of it. Rinse and reinstall. Did this on many motorcycle tanks.
Dude, real easy on Motorcycle tank, but let me see you do that on a 100 gallon diesel tank.
Old 06-26-2021, 04:26 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
He must be the Hulk.
Old 07-06-2021, 05:14 PM   #6

I would get a bore scope and look inside your current tank before i would go through the work and expense of replacing the tank unless its leaking. Its a good idea to always carry spare filters, and since they are so cheap and easy I replace once a year but you could do more frequently if you think you have issues.
Old 07-06-2021, 06:33 PM   #7

Winnie Gas Tank issue

Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I will forego getting anew tank...Too expensive. I will go the extra filters route and hope for the best.
Cheers!
srosette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, tank