Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Clubs & Associations > Winnebago International Travelers Club (WIT)
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2021, 07:41 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to sgordo88 Send a message via MSN to sgordo88 Send a message via Yahoo to sgordo88
Smile Hi, Just Bought a 1999 Adventurer 37G

Hi All.

I just bought a 1999 Adventurer 37G on F53 with a V10. Drivetrain seems great; only 65K miles.
Any words of wisdom from other WIT folk out there?
sgordo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2021, 06:28 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgordo88 View Post
Hi All.

I just bought a 1999 Adventurer 37G on F53 with a V10. Drivetrain seems great; only 65K miles.
Any words of wisdom from other WIT folk out there?
We bought a 2002 Adventurer 32v last summer. So far IíveÖ

Updated both TVs to flat screens.

Touched up decals and stripes.

Put tile around kitchen sink and stove.

New tires (only thing I didnít do myself)

Sumo springs front and back.

Itís been a labor of love to put some upgrades into it. Weíve put about 5,500 miles on it traveling around NY state and into PA the last summer and a half. Treat your rig right and Iím sure like ours it will serve you well.
Old 07-21-2021, 06:44 PM   #3

Those rigs were built pretty solid. Do some driveway camping while making sure everything is in working order.

Have fun.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:46 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to sgordo88 Send a message via MSN to sgordo88 Send a message via Yahoo to sgordo88
Sounds right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkocan72 View Post
We bought a 2002 Adventurer 32v last summer. So far IíveÖ

Updated both TVs to flat screens.

Touched up decals and stripes.

Put tile around kitchen sink and stove.

New tires (only thing I didnít do myself)

Sumo springs front and back.

Itís been a labor of love to put some upgrades into it. Weíve put about 5,500 miles on it traveling around NY state and into PA the last summer and a half. Treat your rig right and Iím sure like ours it will serve you well.

Out mechanic says the engine, tranny, and springs seem good. At his suggestion, I am adding sway bars and airbags, which I wholly appreciated after driving it home, with white knuckles, for the first drive. It was more of wrestling match. This shop-owner is a suspension and sway expert, so I am confident as much sway problems as possible will be reduced following his work.

Only 65K miles; engine and tranny are good. When buying an older unit, I budgeted and extra 50% for fixes, corrections, and improvements. Winnebago shines in it's efficient engineering and design and we are, so far, happy. In the age and price range, I would have rather had a nigher end unit and a DP, but, ironically, I always kept coming back to Winnebago, Holiday Rambler, and other fiberglass or aluminum roof units. I looked at two older Newmars which were great, except the roofs had not been maintained, so they both filed the "smell" (mold, mildew) test. And, one can still get most parts for older Winnebagos. So, I am happy with this choice. I believe I might, eventually touch up our decals, as well. But, looking at the parts catalog, you can, in theory order them from Winnebago. Even if 1999 decals are not, I will bet, even if a heresy, I could buy and apply the decals of later models an switch up the "design."

We lucked out that this one had a handicapped lift, a Carefree Awning upgrade, and updated flat screens, although "Insignia." :[
Old 07-22-2021, 11:52 AM   #5

Winnebago Is a Best Buy in Older Rigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood58 View Post
Those rigs were built pretty solid. Do some driveway camping while making sure everything is in working order.

Have fun.
Totally agree. Although we really wanted a Newmar in the same age range, the roof, the solid Winnebago design, and integrity of Winnebago kept us returning to Winnebago in ourn search. Older Newmars seemed to often have maintenance-neglected roofs, so, often, have enough water damage to cause horrid mold and mildew smells. Love Newmar, but poorly maintained roofs are a deal-breaker.

We were just about to pull the trigger on a Holiday Rambler when this rig, with a handicapped lift, popped up on our radar.
Old 07-22-2021, 12:34 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Good luck and I hope your suspension and sway upgrades help out. We too were a bit nervous about buying a 20 year old unit but we knew Winnebago was solid. Ours was on a small used car lot and that also made me nervous. Turns out the owner grew up in RVs as his family owns a rather large RV dealership that has several locations in our area. He grew up in the industry and just went out on his own as he didn't want to work in the family business (his brother bought the company and runs it now). He knew nearly everything about our rig and told us the possible trouble areas, what to look out for with that year/model, what I need to keep an eye on maintenance wise etc... He also, as part of the deal, paid one of his brother's RV techs to give it a solid once over then the guy spent several hours with us going over nearly everything. Really put us at peace of mind.

Once we knew all that we had no worries buying a 20 year old unit. Other than the style/colors looking dated we know it has many, many years and miles left. I've done a lot to update it such as the touched up the exterior, tile behind the kitchen, new TVs and more as you can see here.

The only thing I wasn't happy with was the ride. I put Sumo Springs on this spring which made it handle a TON better. It feels more planted. On really bad roads or expansion joints it still has the hard jolts so I may add Koni shocks on the front later this year.

I may, over the winter, work to upgrade the interior by way of giving it a more modern look but that is all strictly cosmetic at this point.

We keep saying we want a newer looking rig but we know we have a solid ride and the thought of shelling out 2-3x or more what we paid for this just doesn't seem smart.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:25 PM   #7

Four years ago we purchased a 2004 - 40ft Adventurer built on a Workhorse chassis with 16,000 miles. When we took of our first cross country trip we discovered driving our couch was quite the challenge.

First of all, I was constantly moving the steering wheel at least an eighth of a turn to keep her tracking straight down the highway. Secondly, the sway experienced by taking a curve at 60mph felt like we would topple over or be forced out of the lane, and when we were passed by a semi, and especially by a bus, we would be blown to the right and I would have to quickly compensate to stay within the lane.

Finally, we felt every (and I mean every) imperfection in the road, going over a 2Ē pothole would topple everything in the cabinets and often open drawers and doors.

First of all take your rig on a couple of journeys, but only after you have inspected (and replaced if necessary) the brakes, they are the most important components on your rig, then replace your tires. In my opinion, Michelinís are over rated and overpriced, I have TOYA tires, the same ones that are on semi-tractor/trailer rigs.

Take note of the driving conditions and determine whether or not you can live with the conditions. Then based on your anticipated usage, if you arenít happy with the way the rig handles you can incrementally upgrade. Find a reputable Ford Commercial Truck repair facility that can make the upgrades to your RV at a reasonable price.

Given our circumstances in that we travel cross country a few time a year and really value our lives and comfort, we bit the bullet and had all the upgrades at once. We did the following upgrades.

Replaced the factory installed bump stops with Sumo Spring Kits. They eliminate front axle bounce and added addition stability and weight control to the rear axle.

Installed a Safe T Plus Steering Control Kit which is basically a shock absorb kit assembly. It improved the steering 100% by removing all the slop and comfortably stiffen up the steering. I can now take my hands off the steering wheel and the RV tracks absolutely straight down the road.

Installed Front and Rear Trac bars. They prevent ďtail wagĒ which greatly improves stability in turns and uneven grades.

Installed extremely beefy, new front and rear sway bars which totally eliminated sway. We can safely take curves well above their recommended speed limit with absolutely no sway and now we only notice the buses once they are past us.

Finally we replaced the front and rear shock absorbers with oil filled Koni shock absorbers. These shocks automatically adjust to various road conditions minimizing harsh ride. They are way different than pneumatic shocks. They greatly improved our ride, and we only notice extremely poor road conditions.

All these improvements were around $7,200 but in the end, they probably made our ride better than any new RV.
PepperJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:03 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepperJim View Post

Finally we replaced the front and rear shock absorbers with oil filled Koni shock absorbers. These shocks automatically adjust to various road conditions minimizing harsh ride. They are way different than pneumatic shocks. They greatly improved our ride, and we only notice extremely poor road conditions.

All these improvements were around $7,200 but in the end, they probably made our ride better than any new RV.
We got our 2002 32V adventurer last year and the biggest complaint I had was the crashing feeling you had on every crack, bridge expansion joint or pothole and the constant moving of the steering wheel to keep it centered.

The other stuff you mention I didn't feel too bad while driving other than a bit of play in the steering wheel and a little bit of the push when getting passed by Semis.

Earlier this year we put on new tires and I added Sumo Springs front and rear and they made a huge difference. The rig feels much more planted to the road and driving/steering is a whole world of difference. I still get a little push from Semis but it is slightly better with the sumos installed. Steering seems so much easier as well but there is still a small correction needed quite often. We just took a 5hr each way trip from NY to Cedar Point in Ohio and man, I-90 from west of Erie PA was horrible. Stretches in Ohio also were beyond rough to drive on. The sumo springs seem to help with the minor bumps and stuff but major ones still feel really rough.

My plan is to next add a steering stabilizer to help the steering then replace my 20 year old shocks with Koni FSDs. My question is, how much better does your rig handle the cracks, potholes and expansion joints now with the Sumo/Koni combination?

Tags
1999, adventurer, vent