Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2017, 06:08 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wit gnr 2017

Signed up a few days ago for the 2017 GNR. This will be my first GNR and my second time to Forest City. Passed through Forest City last summer and took the factory tour. When planning this years summer trip I figured I give the GNR a shot. I looked over the iRV2 posts about last years GNR and there is not a lot of information about what to expect. I have been to a FMCA Rally before and found it educating and worth it. Sounds like the GNR is the similar. I don't belong to any chapters yet so I went for a C-50 site figuring it would be nice to have the dingy nearby. We are arriving on Saturday figuring that it would be crazy busy on Sunday or Monday. Actually didn't realize there was nothing other than parking on Monday. Plan on staying an extra day at the end leaving on Monday. Does that make sense?

A couple of questions - What exactly do they mean saying "water available on grounds"; Thought about volunteering - does anyone have any thoughts or experiences in that area; What's everyone doing after hours?; What's the story with decorating, etc. The WIT magazine follow-up articles make it sound like a party atmosphere. Is it? Whole thing sounds like fun - I just want to be prepared.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2017, 02:58 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hey Rob I just posted about GNR and got a nice reply from Don. It will be my first also. Hope to see you there.

Jim
450 Cummins, Jeep Wrangler, Blue Ox
jimallred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 04:00 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jim, Thanks for the heads up I found the other thread and it contained some of the information that I was looking for. I am surprised at the lack of responses received as I would figure with all the posts there has to be quite a few WIT members here. I also posted on RVillage and no real activity. Just wondering if you have to be a member of a chapter to be fully involved. Nonetheless it should be interesting as eight days will be the longest period of time without a full hook up. Forest City is small town USA with not much to do so the GNR is everything that week. I would imagine as we get closer there is got to be more people posting about going. Bob
Old 01-29-2017, 04:23 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I plan to get there on Saturday as well, hope to avoid the crowd on Monday. If you don't mind I will add you to my friend list. Hopefully more information will come in later

Jim
Old 01-29-2017, 08:43 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimallred View Post
I plan to get there on Saturday as well, hope to avoid the crowd on Monday. If you don't mind I will add you to my friend list. Hopefully more information will come in later

Jim
No problem adding me to your friend list - When I first looked at the dates I originally thought the GNR started on Monday and figured that Sunday would be the big parking day not thinking that the first day of the Rally would be the arrival date. Checking the Forest City calendar of events the Puckerbrush Days festival going on Thursday through Sunday and on Sunday there is a Heritage Festival at Heritage Park right outside the Rally Grounds. On Saturday we have a little over six hour drive from Carlock, IL (between Bloomington and Peoria on I-74) and plan on getting there mid-afternoon to take in some of the Puckerbrush Days Festival if there is time. It seems that getting there on Saturday is probably going work out for the best.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:52 PM   #6

We are thinking about going too. Never been to any Rally before so this is a first. We'd like to take a tour of the factory while there. Hope that's something that will be available.
tb919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:27 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb919 View Post
We are thinking about going too. Never been to any Rally before so this is a first. We'd like to take a tour of the factory while there. Hope that's something that will be available.
While the schedule has not been posted factory tours are listed on the GNR page as things planned for the Rally WIT Club Grand National Rally - Overview | Winnebago International Travelers We took the tour last summer and it is pretty interesting. In the assembly area you are on a catwalk above it all and in the upholstery building you are right next to the sewing machines. We thought it was well worth the time. From past WIT magazine articles it seems that a lot of the chapters have gatherings at the GNR that fills the spare time and they appear to be having great time. I don't know how it will be for those of us that haven't yet joined a chapter. The WIT Club seems to be ran a little different than most clubs in that it doesn't have a club forum for exchange of information. Because of that there is very little information that can be found about past GNR's other than a few people saying they are going.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:14 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Gnr 2017

It's 3:00AM and can't sleep so please put up with my rambling.

I have been to several rallys over the years but not recently health issues often times jump up and bite you.

The week prior to GNR proper is probably the most fun, various tours will be made available and you will get to know your neighbors. The state rows are where the action is and the president should track you down and give you a heads up with palanned activitis such as potlucks and the like. Someone mentioned water, there are faucets at the end of the row so members cobble their hoses and fill the tanks. Honey truck is available at a reasonable cost so don't be skimpy with water or plan on a problem. Some good local restaraunts and when GNR starts its like the great migration. Don't know the quality of the entertainment but in the past it was pretty good. I am still amazed at how many people arrive early and are packed up and ready to go Thursday afternoon. Why not stay a few free days, kickback and get your chores done. Things will go wrong enjoy the trip.

Don G...WIT 70041
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:34 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don, I should of responded earlier when I read your post. This is exactly the information that I am looking for. I signed up for one of the C-50 spaces figuring they were simply closer and as I didn't belong to any chapters yet figuring it wouldn't make a difference. This won't put me with the state row but at this point I really don't know them so being in a different section is fine with me. I plan on reaching out to the State Club and meeting them at the GNR and hopefully joining them after that.

A couple of questions if you have the time - Is the ground level? Is the ground soft? do I need boards or other support under the jacks? I have the plastic pads that go under the jacks if needed. Is the electric reliable? What do they do in severe weather? I just want to be prepared. I planned on staying and leaving Monday Morning to avoid the rush leaving on Sunday. It sounds like there isn't a rush on Sunday as most people have already left. I would mind leaving on a Sunday if I was able to get out by noon. My next stop is four hours away.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:11 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Robmat, here's some responses to your latest questions; 1) parts of the rally grounds are level, parts not. Sorry to say C-50 is a part that's not so level. Th sites are assigned on a first come-first served basis, so the early bird does better in C-50. In other rows it's the next site in order. 2) The ground can be soft, remember it's old farmland (originally swampland). There is LOTS of levelling wood available, and WIT provides a crew of college students to help you get level if you request it from your personal Parker. 3) Most will be gone on Saturday after closing ceremonies, but WIT keeps electricity on for a few days - so you can stay for free. 4) It can be stormy! The WIT staff (Area Reps) do a fine job of warning all if it's truly necessary. Hint, don't leave your awning out overnight. Usually the weather is very nice! 5) Volunteers are always needed. AS someone said "it's takes a village'. There is a volunteer tent available, or you can fill out the volunteer form on the registration. Volunteers can ride the 'People Mover' as a 'conductor', provide traffic control, or... Usually 2 hour shifts.
Hope you enoy your first GNR
Skip Y 2010 Journey 40 TD, WIT 47083
Skip Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:38 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This will be our forth GNR and we look forward to it every year. We always take some Grandkids as well. Winnebago provides lots of things for them to do including a day at a amusement park, carnival rides, face painting, ect. They keep them busy.

We will be in the C50 area but be cautious! Some of the folks who guide you and park you seem to be determined to use up the worse spots first. Last year one insisted that they dig in my driver wheels to level the coach and I ended up losing my mud flaps. Look the site over and be prepared to say NO if they try that with you. The parkers are volunteers but those that do the digging are Winnebago employees just doing their jobs. The Winnebago folks are first rate.

There is plenty of food at the site. Course that doesn't start till Monday I believe. Then there are also the wine and cheese parties that individual WIT clubs will put on. Food has never been a problem.

The grounds are quite large and while you can have your toad parked with you in C50, you cannot drive it around the grounds. We always rent a golf cart. I am partially disabled and as a result cannot walk long distances so that comes in handy. Some bring their own golf carts.

They do have trams that run pretty continuously so you do not have to have a golf cart, it's just handier.

There is entertainment every afternoon and evening. Most of it is pretty good.

All the vendors will be there just like FMCA, but if you need work, get to their desk right away as they fill up their schedules quickly.

As stated previously there is water available and usually we get together and all connect our hoses so that even the farthest coach can fill their tanks. You fill your tank and THEN disconnect the hose so someone else can fill.

The honey wagons are there and you go to the event center and buy chits for them. Then leave the chit under you windshield wiper in the morning and they take care of it. Have your sewage bay open for them.

There are usually farmers there selling fresh vegetables. Also Iowa meets has a stand selling food and meat.

There will be an area selling those needed camping essentials as well. A good place to purchase folding chairs, ect.

And of course, Winnebago will have many coaches on site with sale prices. Friends have told me that the prices are really good and the dealers are willing to deal.

The factory tours are great and this year they offer several. There is also a Winnebago Museum across the highway.

Go prepared to have a good time.

See ya there. My license plate is JCOOP!
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:47 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Oh, one more thing. North of the Rally Site a couple miles Winnebago maintains a very large dump site. It's so large the more than ten units can dump at once. There is also water for flushing. I believe if memory serves me it is just east of the stop light.

Actually it is Hwy 69 and E J St. I just looked it up on Google Earth.

There is no cost and it's a good idea to visit there prior to entering the rally and again when you leave. Saves some money.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:53 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Robmat, forgot one of your questions - electricity is very reliable!
Hope to meet you there, flag down anyone on the Sign Crew (our work carts each ahve a Sign Crew sign on the front) and ask for Skip. I'll be parked in Section E near the front gate, look for my WIT plate on the front.
Skip Y
2010 Journey 40 TD
WIT 47083
Skip Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:25 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hey all, I am signed up for C-50 also and thanks for all the helpful information as this is my first time. Have also volunteered as a People Mover. Will be in a 43' Itasca Ellipse with white Jeep Sahara, planning to arrive on Saturday. Watch for our Golden Retriever " Biscuit". W#173062 front tag Please come by, i will also look for you guys.