Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2018, 09:09 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
"007" Has a question.

I have been helping a member that has a problem with his mechanical slide lock, my question is are these locks now only used on coach's since 2012 to now on all coach's, I ask just for my benefit and others because I have not seen any of the problems we had with the 12v AUTO Locks of the pass, my guess is they are and I would just like to verify that they are.

Maybe you may want to "join in his thread" as to problems you may have had and what you do to keep from having the problem he has.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2018, 12:34 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 2016 Ventana has the mechanical flipper locks. I check them regularly and have not had a problem with them.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:58 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for that Stang37 -- one for Ventana
Old 03-05-2018, 01:17 PM   #4

Looks like that is what I have on both top corners of an electric bedroom slide on an NA. New to me and I can find no documentation about how they work.

turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:36 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for picture,turbopilot, looks like it latch's on itself when slide opens and its in the interior of the wall, different from video it seems.
After looking again same as yours not sure what the owner with problem is lubing, I thought it was to side wall but its to the headed wall of opening for slide which is strong.
With slide open there must be a seal in opening to prevent water down shaft area of lock maybe his is dried out needs replacement.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:43 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
There is a paddle on the bottom of the slide so when the slide closes it compresses the panel which pushes up/out the lock. One on front and rear of the slide. They can come loose (white part) as Newmar found one not working as expected. Loosened then retightened it.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:00 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Neal, is there a seal on top of lock area to prevent water with slide open from entering the interior wall area.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:12 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
The lock is on the end of the slide and is flush flat down when the slide is extended. The slide retracts and the lock, behind the seal, is raised when the plunger at the bottom of the slide exterior wall is compressed as it's retracted. Comprendez?
Old 03-05-2018, 03:20 PM   #9

my 2018 dutch star has those same locks as pictured...with the metal plate on the underside of the slide to compress it into place when the slide is closed....

this is only on my PS kitchen slide.....bedroom slide and full wall slide don't have them
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 04:34 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yez Neal, I am concerned about the seal for lock outside when slide is out exposed to weather, does the rubber seal close around lock flapper when retracted, or lock slips under seal to keep water out of wall cavity of slide.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:36 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by willipaul View Post
my 2018 dutch star has those same locks as pictured...with the metal plate on the underside of the slide to compress it into place when the slide is closed....

this is only on my PS kitchen slide.....bedroom slide and full wall slide don't have them
What do you have for locks on other slides manual or 12v electrical.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:44 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I don’t know that the locks breach the slide. It appears to be external.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0095.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	449.0 KB
ID:	194646
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0096.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	596.8 KB
ID:	194647
Old 03-05-2018, 04:47 PM   #13

I may be the OP with the problem (see another thread). Using mirrors and lights, I don't see any seal at the top (flipper) location. Using WD40 as a penetrant, and attaching a snorkel to the can, I have sprayed into the top area and up into the bottom area. After some light persuasion, the bottom plate now moves in and out by hand, and the flipper flips. It did not before. Seems like the mechanism rusted, corroded, got dirty, or something. I'm hoping continued use will free it up even more. I still may need to replace the spring, so if anyone has a sketch or an idea how to remove it, I would be most appreciative.
Calpop45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:55 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
[QUOTE=kortan01;4070873]I may be the OP with the problem (see another thread). Using mirrors and lights, I don't see any seal at the top (flipper) location. Using WD40 as a penetrant, and attaching a snorkel to the can, I have sprayed into the top area and up into the bottom area. After some light persuasion, the bottom plate now moves in and out by hand, and the flipper flips. It did not before. Seems like the mechanism rusted, corroded, got dirty, or something. I'm hoping continued use will free it up even more. I still may need to replace the spring, so if anyone has a sketch or an idea how to remove it, I would be most appreciative.

I say you have your problem solved, but its the here after that concerns me and looking at Neal's picture I can see the lock at rear and exposed to the weather under the slide awning which may drop water on top of plastic lock and metal hinges which can rust and possibly water is dropping down that corner of slide and all the metal studding of slide wall.
Some day on roof take a look at that hinge and see how tight the closure is from water or even snow in winter months.
Its your call, everyone should take a look at theres for potential problems before they arise, I always say.
To add I would say problem may arise when you are parked for some time and the action of closing slide is not operating the flipper lock, that's when it may bind.

THIS IS THE OP's OTHER THREAD FOR LATE ARRIVALS